Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
If I can set it down I use landscape and type like a normal keyboard.
I wish I could manage that, but I can't. I'm a very fast keyboard typist, but can only manage two fingers on the iPad and I still make mistakes.

iPad's great for content assimilation, but I don't think I'll be composing any great content on it anytime soon. :)

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
In portrait mode I type with 4 fingers (index and middle on both hands) and my right thumb, so 5 digits total. I type about 80% speed in portrait.

In landscape mode, I thought I used all 8, but I only use 7 fingers (4 on left hand, 3 on right hand - turns out I never use my right pinky). I use my left thumb for the space bar, so 9 digits total.

I used to make a lot of typing mistakes, but after a week or so, my accuracy got pretty good in landscape mode. Most of the typos I have now are from the autocorrect "correcting" a word to something unintended.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
if landscape, i type like a normal keyboard. If portrait, I type with two thumbs while holding it. I wish the keys were closer to the edges of the ipad though. I wish there was a modification for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.