Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Just curious as to how many graphic designers/web designers/film makers took the plunge into the new retina macbook pro. All this hype of scaling and old apps not looking good has me wondering who purchased one.

I'm an (amateur) graphic designer and leaning towards the retina. I currently have a legacy model 15" macbook pro.

P.S. I tried a rMBP at my local apple store and didn't see much of a problem with actual content within CS5, etc. Yes the interface of these programs is not crisp as the dock per say but I'm sure I can get used to it.

Just wondering!

Martin.

dreamtenstudios

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I got a 2.6ghz with 512GB and 16GB ram, and it screams. Using it until till close to the return date to see whether I can work around the 1:1 pixel issue. Besides that 1 qualm, I love everything about it... The cpu is crazy fast and everything is instant. The form factor looks incredible -- I thought the previous MBP look was near perfect, but this takes it up a notch. The speakers are also sooo much louder and clearer than the previous mbp. When my wife and I would watch movies on it we'd always be struggling to hear quieter scenes, but that def won't be an issue now. Another thing I noticed after going back to my old one is how nice the contrast is on the new retina... the old mbp looks really washed out in comparison. Even the keyboard feels more refined. There's less travel on the keys but it feels smoother. Retina ready apps also look gorgeous. I never really noticed the pixels on my old mbp till I went back to it and man it looks terrible in comparison :) So many things to like about it...

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009

Interesting article.

I got a 2.6ghz with 512GB and 16GB ram, and it screams. Using it until till close to the return date to see whether I can work around the 1:1 pixel issue. Besides that 1 qualm, I love everything about it... The cpu is crazy fast and everything is instant. The form factor looks incredible -- I thought the previous MBP look was near perfect, but this takes it up a notch. The speakers are also sooo much louder and clearer than the previous mbp. When my wife and I would watch movies on it we'd always be struggling to hear quieter scenes, but that def won't be an issue now. Another thing I noticed after going back to my old one is how nice the contrast is on the new retina... the old mbp looks really washed out in comparison. Even the keyboard feels more refined. There's less travel on the keys but it feels smoother. Retina ready apps also look gorgeous. I never really noticed the pixels on my old mbp till I went back to it and man it looks terrible in comparison :) So many things to like about it...

Thanks for the input, what resolution/scaling are you using currently. I plan on getting the 2.3/256GB/16GB config.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
No offense to those who bought one, but the retina is just about the worst laptop you could buy if you are a graphic designer.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Currently if you're designing retina assets for iPhone/iPad it would make sense. And every designer will have a non retina external monitor anyway to cover everything else.

Price-wise it's really not that much different from the equivalent specced out non retina 15" mbp.

That being said, my job is a dev/designer (iPhone apps and ipad retina friendly sites etc) and I'm not entirely convinced getting one is the best for me either at this point in time.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I do 3d graphics, animation, video editing, a bit of web and flash animation and I am going nowhere near that retina display, nothing but problems awaits. The fact that people think all the issues will be gone and programs will be updated to look and work perfectly fine within the next couple of weeks is just mind blowing.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I do 3d graphics, animation, video editing, a bit of web and flash animation and I am going nowhere near that retina display, nothing but problems awaits. The fact that people think all the issues will be gone and programs will be updated to look and work perfectly fine within the next couple of weeks is just mind blowing.

Why not just wait out the first generation and enjoy a nice juicy haswell version instead with first generation fixes out of the way:p?

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Why not just wait out the first generation and enjoy a nice juicy haswell version instead with first generation fixes out of the way:p?

waiting is the key to never getting anything :) I could wait for the next one after that too, nvidia might release a new gpu? by then maybe I can get cheaper ssd's.... you get the idea ;)

waiting is pointless, if you need / want it now, get it! hehe

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
waiting is the key to never getting anything :) I could wait for the next one after that too, nvidia might release a new gpu? by then maybe I can get cheaper ssd's.... you get the idea ;)

waiting is pointless, if you need / want it now, get it! hehe

I usually go for stable things. First generation products end up giving me headaches, so to me the combination of a tock cycle + generation 2 of such a design looks nice. You even mentioned application updates. With the ones you're potentially using for the purposes listed there, it's unlikely that you'll see timely updates given the amount of testing involved in changing anything. Applications aimed at professional use tend to focus more on stability than patching in the latest features a week later. Even then some of them have too many bugs:mad:.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I usually go for stable things. First generation products end up giving me headaches, so to me the combination of a tock cycle + generation 2 of such a design looks nice. You even mentioned application updates. With the ones you're potentially using for the purposes listed there, it's unlikely that you'll see timely updates given the amount of testing involved in changing anything. Applications aimed at professional use tend to focus more on stability than patching in the latest features a week later. Even then some of them have too many bugs:mad:.

Yup very much so, how ever I fear that the next MacBook Pro will only be retina, which would make me sad, and I want a new system soon ;) anyway updates is fine, it depends on what you do and the scale, if you are 1-2 people updating is easier than a company of 50 where fixed procedures and custom software has been developed. Anyway, a bit off topic I think :)

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Why is the rMBP bad for designers?

I think it's excellent, especially if you work in printed materials. I make designs for wallpaper, textiles etc and I think being able to see a very crisp image will help me see what the final thing will look like.

Most stuff is printed 300dpi the retina is 220dpi so quite close to the printed page, how can this be a bad thing?

Also for iPad dev you can have full 1:1 retina simulation for the first time on a laptop, how is this a bad thing?

mawdsley

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
it seems like its less of a problem / hinderance for print designers alone, i think the real issue is the pixel ratio that you would have to adjust to or calculate the differences when creating websites etc..

I'm currently looking into getting it but the more i read about the ratios the more I'm reluctant to buy one..

can anyone venture an opinion on say what id like to do as a test.. or have done themselves for say designing a website with a 960px width? how does this look on the retina.. how does it compare to the original...

would a solution of the pixel problem not be .. setting up a psd file with rulers etc in photoshop on a regular resolution laptop then using that to design for on the retina screen? .. to get an idea about sizes etc?

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
it seems like its less of a problem / hinderance for print designers alone, i think the real issue is the pixel ratio that you would have to adjust to or calculate the differences when creating websites etc..

I'm currently looking into getting it but the more i read about the ratios the more I'm reluctant to buy one..

can anyone venture an opinion on say what id like to do as a test.. or have done themselves for say designing a website with a 960px width? how does this look on the retina.. how does it compare to the original...

would a solution of the pixel problem not be .. setting up a psd file with rulers etc in photoshop on a regular resolution laptop then using that to design for on the retina screen? .. to get an idea about sizes etc?

What do you mean calculate the differences when creating websites? Could you give an example. I'm a tad confused.

----------

No offense to those who bought one, but the retina is just about the worst laptop you could buy if you are a graphic designer.

Why? Mind elaborating?

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I use 1680x1050.

I've asked this question to maybe 3 people? LOL :D

but I want to ask this again to you... of course you use microsoft office right/open office. How bad it is at 1680x1050 res? (with normal distance from eye to monitor ,+- 30cms).

With screenshot is even better if you don't mind :)

Thanks a lot!

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I've asked this question to maybe 3 people? LOL :D

but I want to ask this again to you... of course you use microsoft office right/open office. How bad it is at 1680x1050 res? (with normal distance from eye to monitor ,+- 30cms).

Thanks a lot!

Just my 2 cents, from what I gathered in my 45min messing with a display model it is not bad, just mildly annoying. I think after a few hours your eyes will adjust and it won't be a big deal. But if you are very particular and picky I could see this as being an issue..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.