How many hours do you sleep?

Healer Flame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Sleep , being the cousin of death or temprory death it steals 25/35% of our "living life".

Few years ago I successfully cut my sleeping hours from 7.5/8 to 4 or 5 hours by sleeping deeper and I feel fresh if I woke up naturally without alarm or distructions.

How many hours do you sleep per night?
What time do you go to bed?

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Sleep , being the cousin of death or temprory death it steals 25% of our "living life".

Few years ago I successfully cut my sleeping hours from 7.5/8 to 4 or 5 hours by sleeping deeper and I feel fresh if I woke up naturally without alarm or distructions.

How many hours do you sleep per night?
What time do you go to bed?
After dark I sit at my desk holding a spoon as I work. If I doze off I drop the spoon and wake up when it hits the desk. I haven’t slept for 50+ years. I am a bundle of productivity.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
How exactly did you achieve this 'deeper' sleep? I need at least 7-8 hours a day or I'm a zombie. Curious if there's actually a method to get better sleep in shorter time and still feel well. I do like my sleep though.

Healer Flame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
How exactly did you achieve this 'deeper' sleep? I need at least 7-8 hours a day or I'm a zombie. Curious if there's actually a method to get better sleep in shorter time and still feel well. I do like my sleep though.
Sleep management and plan with my Doctor help me a lot. There is many ways to sleep deeper and shorter. For example day before I went for a very long jogging and fast walking for almost 90 minutes so was very tired but it helped me sleep quicker , deeper and shorter.

Now days I feel guilty if I spent in bed more than 7 hours.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
After dark I sit at my desk holding a spoon as I work. If I doze off I drop the spoon and wake up when it hits the desk. I haven’t slept for 50+ years. I am a bundle of productivity.
Well from glancing in on the food threads I'd say that habit hasn't fried your cooking skills yet. :cool:

My brain always has me trying to have me emulate the chickens: up with the dawn, worthless after dusk. So far that hasn't killed me; it's daylight saving time start and end that mess up my mind for weeks at a time twice a year.

Healer Flame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Well from glancing in on the food threads I'd say that habit hasn't fried your cooking skills yet. :cool:

My brain always has me trying to have me emulate the chickens: up with the dawn, worthless after dusk. So far that hasn't killed me; it's daylight saving time start and end that mess up my mind for weeks at a time twice a year.
Not sure why many people complain about daylight saving affecting their sleep , that doesn't bother me at all. It's only one hour gap every 6 months.

Long flight from Australia to Europe and return seriously mess up my sleep patterns. It takes me ages to adjust o_O:(;)

BrettAP98

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2019
7-8 hours but I do have insomnia, I'll wake up wide awake from 1-4 am and stay up for an hour/half...

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Not sure why many people complain about daylight saving affecting their sleep , that doesn't bother me at all. It's only one hour gap every 6 months.

Long flight from Australia to Europe and return seriously mess up my sleep patterns. It takes me ages to adjust o_O:(;)
In both cases the time "switches" are completely artificial... and my brain likes increments better than jolts.

For me, light is light and dark is dark and my brain thinks that's how it should be. First light, time to get up. Twilight, time to make supper, full on night means time to pick up the day's clutter, head upstairs and land in bed while still awake enough to navigate the stairs. :p

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Last night, only 3-1/2 hours... usually 6 to 6-1/2.
I've read that it's not good to purposely "sleep in" two days a week. It's best to try to get the same amount of sleep each day.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pale blue comma
For me, light is light and dark is dark and my brain thinks that's how it should be. First light, time to get up. Twilight, time to make supper, full on night means time to pick up the day's clutter, head upstairs and land in bed while still awake enough to navigate the stairs. :p
I misread that as "stars" and wondered how long your stairway was.

Then I wondered if there's a bustle in your hedgerow...

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I misread that as "stars" and wondered how long your stairway was.

Then I wondered if there's a bustle in your hedgerow...
LOL !

Now on my playlist: U2's Promenade

Up the spiral staircase to a higher ground...
:p
To bust back through the shrubs here: I sleep more in winter and less in summer, the way all semi-hibernating critters here in the northeast do, at least in the mountains. Probably 8 hours a night once November rolls in, and 7 or a little less starting in April.

Reactions: kazmac

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
I generally sleep about 7-8 hours. I got to bed around 11:30-12:00 A.M. and get up at 7:30-8. I always wake up at least once in the middle of the night (for usually no more than a few minutes); I always have ever since I was a little kid.

I'm not too concerned about the amount of hours I sleep. Days are long enough--I don't need to lengthen them. Around 10 I start reading (for the second or third time that day--I do a lot of reading) and I usually feel pretty sleepy around 11 or 11:30 and that's when I get in bed.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I tend to need less sleep when I’m jogging regularly (6 hours) then when I’m doing lighter exercise (7-8). Not sure if this is quite normal but sleep very deeply on my active days.

user_xyz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2018
I feel best when I sleep 7-8 hours a night.
When I sleep less than that I feel crappy.

MasterControlOp

Suspended
Mar 28, 2019
I strap on my sleep apnea mask at around 10-10:30 and set the alarm for 8AM. I wake up three times a night usually to pee. Sometimes, I'll nap in the afternoon if I have off or sleep later in the morning. Never seems to be enough.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Generally about 4-5 hours.

If I can make myself go to sleep between 9-10pm then about 7 but that rarely happens.

I'm up at 4am now so I can do 8 hours at work with enough time to drive 40 minutes to pick my daughter up from school at 2:30pm.

It's a schedule I'm not fond of (I am NOT a morning person) but on the other hand I'm out before people who leave work at 5pm.

On the weekends I get a few more hours but lately not as many as I wanted. My wife works on the weekends (now) and I am the designated coffee maker person so I have to have her coffee made before she leaves.

For sleep in general, I can count on both hands over the course of 48 years just how many times I got exactly the right amount of sleep. For whatever reason, my body requires 10-12 hours just to be human, but I never get that. And I rarely get enough period.

I am capable of going to bed on a Friday night and getting up on a Sunday morning. But that rarely happens as well. Usually I'm sick if that's happening.

Reactions: Healer Flame

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Sleep management and plan with my Doctor help me a lot. There is many ways to sleep deeper and shorter. For example day before I went for a very long jogging and fast walking for almost 90 minutes so was very tired but it helped me sleep quicker , deeper and shorter.

Now days I feel guilty if I spent in bed more than 7 hours.
Thanks for the info. I work out in the evening and feel tired at around 9 or 10. However, I go to sleep at like 10 and still don't wake up until my alarm clock rings just before 6 a.m. The weird thing is that on weekends I get less sleep than during the week. Maybe one day I will figure out a way to sleep less, but right now I don't mind sleeping 7-8 hours a day.

Reactions: Healer Flame

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I sleep 7-8 hrs. However, my wife has terrible sleep habit’s, or maybe not a habit, but a condition. She tells me she has a hard time turning off her brain. Some nights she gets 3-5 hrs, but then later in the day she will crash, but that adds to staying up late the next night. We have several women friends who say they have the same problem. Anyone here? (If I have asked before, and we’ve discussed it, forgive me. :oops:)

For myself, when I lay down, usually my mind in a matter of moments starts disconnecting and I drift off.