How many hours usage till you have to charge your ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Feb 22, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Getting one for my birthday in march, how long do they normally last if you are using it for mainly internet?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the battery is marketed for 10 hours. My lasts most of an entire day before needing to recharging. It can last longer or shorter based on my usage of it.

I forgot a cable to charge it this morning (and I didn't charge it yesterday) and its at 51%. It will last all day at this point but when I get home from work, it will certainly need to be plugged in.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

it pretty much lasts a legit 10 hours no matter what you are doing on it. As Jobs said the thing really uses no power except the screen so for music (screen off) it lasts like a month and for everything else that uses the screen it lasts 10 hours.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I get at least 10 hours with the screen on 50% brightness.

5. jamone13 macrumors regular

I have the 3G model, and 75% of my daily usage is using the 3G. I have 40% or so remaining at the end of the day, I also use it for 2-3 hours a day for turn by turn GPS, which IMHO along with gaming is the most power hungry thing you can do. I'd estimate total runtime is 4-5 hours to get down to 40%. So its not far off the 9 hour spec (for 3G model).

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

I can't live with 50% brightness... 70% for me.

7. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

10 hours when new...

... nine months later and probably 5 or 6 hours.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

I guess that's why it's adjustable, but I find that anything above 50% is way too bright - disarmingly bright.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

I really like the brightness at 100%, but that seems to drain the battery quickly. On a slightly related question, is there any way to see the usage and standby stats like on the iPhone?

10. Poop Boy macrumors newbie

I used it for about 10 hours last night straight and still had 30% left. I was watching videos and playing games and browsing.

11. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Basically all day long no matter what you do. You'd have to be glued to the screen every minute to really run out of battery life. If you break for meals, other activities, etc., you can use it from 8am to midnight, more or less. It becomes the first computer you don't have to think about battery usage. It just works when you need it to.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

That shouldn't be happening. Do you let it discharge fully every now and then? Apple will swap it out if it falls below 50% in the first year of use, so if it's really that low on a consistent basis, I'd consider taking it in. The battery should stay in spec (<80% of it's initial longevity) for the first few years of regular use (1,000 full charge cycles).

13. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Generally I have it at 100% and use it overnight so it drops to about 60% or so and then it charges whilst docked at my desk. From time to time though, I do let it drop right down to 0.

I'll do some unscientific testing and calculate my actual life. Thanks.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Yeah. I've had my iPad since then end of April 2010. At first, the battery life was outstanding. I could go 2-3 days with decent usage, on a single charge. Today, with roughly the same usage, I seem to go only 1.5 days now, before battery life is in single figures.

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502

You are getting an iPad in March, knowing iPad 2 is out soon after... :confused:

Anyway, I used to get 10 hours+, but now I only get around 7 or 8. Good job I'm changing it because how can I put up with only 7 hours of use? :mad:

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

Maybe the iOS version makes a difference? The 10 hour battery metric was done with iOS 3.x which wasn't as capable as 4.2.1. Though I certainly think the new features in 4.2 are worth the increase in battery usage.

17. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I have to say, even after my prior comments, the battery life is still pretty good (even if it has depleted). If you're like me and have it docked for most of the time, you probably won't notice many drops.

18. jobyrose macrumors newbie

hey i am also using it for internet puposes & it battery lasts for around 8 - 10 hours.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Having notifications turned ON makes a huge difference in battery life.

20. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I've had my iPad since summer 2010 and it is still going 10 hours strong on a full charge.

21. 1969cj5 macrumors member

Had it since launch, kids use it all evening with you tube and netflix....I would sat I am still a solid 8 to 9 hours with heavy video streaming use

22. el-John-o macrumors 65816

LiPo batteries are NOT as in NOT as in NOT affected by charging/discharging, being fully charged or fully discharged, etc. etc. etc. So none of that will affect your battery life. You could recharge it every time it hits 92% and it won't care. That's more of an issue with old NiCD, NiMH and Li-ion batteries (like everyone else in the world but Apple uses, which is annoying, Li-Po is extremely superior)

It's odd that some of you are seeing such a shaving of battery life. Typically with LiPos they work just fine for a long time, then stop altogether, there isn't usually a gradual drop. I'm with someone elses idea that it's the OS (although I run 4.2.1 and still get close to 9 hours, even with 3G and screen on 100% brightness.)

-John

23. jamone13 macrumors regular

After I opened my mouth on this forum I burned through 40% battery in ~1 hour this morning. GPS in background, and web browsing forground. Although I'm running a beta OS, but this is the first high battery usage situation I've seen on the betas so I'm not sure that its that.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

8 hours easily. 10 hours is little bit hard because my brightness is almost all the way up.

25. el-John-o macrumors 65816

It's just odd because typically Li-Pos work, and then don't, pretty much just like that. One week it'll last 10 hours, the next, 20 minutes. I fly R/C planes and the guys that fly electric use LiPos exclusively, and it's amazing, they can have these 30 minute flights, then one day all of the sudden it dies just after takeoff because the battery is toast.