Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
That is cool to see, I know my 4S has WAY better battery life than the GS2 I had for work did, now I just have a black and a white iPhone 4S (work and personal).

But I know my iPhone 4 lasted longer throughout the day than my 4S does.

When I first got the 4s the battery was not as good as my 4 either but I ended up getting a replacement a couple months ago because of battery issues and the new 4s last just as long as the 4 did. With light usage I can make it 2 days again like I could with the 4.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I'm really hoping there will be the option to turn off 4G/LTE.

I'm having trouble envisioning any scenario where one would intentionally choose to use a slower network. I would never turn off 4G to use 3G nor have I ever turned off 3G to use EDGE.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
1440mAh? Really Apple? Ugh...

How the hell could the iPhone 5 last all day with a bigger screen to power PLUS the battery killing LTE in tow? :confused:

Any ideas on how many hours it will last before it goes dead? I say 3 hours MAX using LTE for continuous web surfing, since the Droid Razr Maxx needs a massive 3300mAh battery to make it through a full day of LTE usage. The original Droid Razr owners with a puny 1780mAh battery had terrible battery life (hence the Razr Maxx coming out 3 months later).

I shudder to think what a mere 1440mAh battery will handle with LTE and a bigger screen equipped :(

You're making a lot of assumtions based on a rumor. Let's wait and see what Apple announces and then you can shudder :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm having trouble envisioning any scenario where one would intentionally choose to use a slower network. I would never turn off 4G to use 3G nor have I ever turned off 3G to use EDGE.

Same here. But often statements like this are rooted in the belief that the power consumption of LTE is enough of a drag to warrant micro managing it. I don't believe this to be the case with current hardware.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I would wait until Apple actually reveals the new iPhone before jumping to conclusions, such as it having weak battery life.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
this. If everything they use is more efficient a slightly larger better could equal much better battery life, or at least the same. I highly doubt it will be a downgrade from the 4S

But the new 4G/LTE radio will eat up any battery savings incorporated into the new iPhone. Unless the new 4G modems are out, that are supposedly much more efficient and barely any battery drain, not sure those are even ready yet ?

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Everyone needs to relax. When has Apple EVER released a product that had a substantially worse battery life rating than it's predecessor? As someone who has owned an HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and Motorola Droid Razr with batteries 2-3x larger than my 4S' that died hours before the 4S with the same amount of usage, I can promise you Apple wouldn't sacrifice battery life for performance. While all the other manufacturer's have been pumping out 4G LTE phones for the past two years, Apple has patiently been waiting for the technology to mature to the point of actual usability. Unlike Android, iOS is actually optimized for the hardware. Instead of pumping ****** handsets out every six months with the latest and highest performing chips with over-sized screens that suck battery life in a matter of hours hoping that spec-obsessing idiots will buy them up, Apple carefully designs and balances performance with efficiency and releases roughly one phone per year.

TL;DR Chill out, Apple's got this.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've never owned an Android device that could get more than 3 hours of usage / screen-on time.

You are either grossly over exaggerating or doing something very, VERY wrong here. Three hours? I'd have given you 5-6, but I could hardly drain a full battery if I tried in 3...

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You are either grossly over exaggerating or doing something very, VERY wrong here. Three hours? I'd have given you 5-6, but I could hardly drain a full battery if I tried in 3...

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know when I went to the iPhone, I was pleasantly surprised when I consistently got 5 - 6 hours of on screen time.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know when I went to the iPhone, I was pleasantly surprised when I consistently got 5 - 6 hours of on screen time.

I was just saying if all you are getting is three hours with an Android phone, something isn't even adding up. With smart phone, a boost of as little as half an hour is a big jump. For some, an extra 30 minutes is all that is needed to get through the day.

Either way the point is that people clearly want more battery. The fact that many Android phones don't deliver that is irrelevant. They want it from an iPhone.

----------

Everyone needs to relax. When has Apple EVER released a product that had a substantially worse battery life rating than it's predecessor?

For many, the iPhone 4S is/was that device, though I guess it depends what you consider substantial.

TeeRom

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
I was just saying if all you are getting is three hours with an Android phone, something isn't even adding up. With smart phone, a boost of as little as half an hour is a big jump. For some, an extra 30 minutes is all that is needed to get through the day.

Either way the point is that people clearly want more battery. The fact that many Android phones don't deliver that is irrelevant. They want it from an iPhone.

The amount of time on WiFi and cell signal really can change the battery life unfortunately. With my Galaxy Nexus, on cell signal only I can get AT MOST 1:30 of usage, while on WiFi only I can get 3-4 hours.

And that's why I'm selling it to get the new iPhone.

Gib

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010

Simple. LTE not available in the area. Especially on Sprint, who is slowly rolling out.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Lol. Do u believe that a company as big as apple will release an iphone that lasts only 3 hours on battery?

Even if they use the 1400mah battery, they might come up with something that makes the battery life at least on par with the previous generation.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Im a bit skeptic about battery life since the display looks to be a bit bigger and therefore I guess its energy consumption will be a bit higher (unless they use a new type of display technology that has really improved energy consumption). Also we cant forget about LTE, which will consume a bit more energy than 3G, but on the other side there will probably be new chip with improved energy consumption, but that I guess wont overally improve battery life that much.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
1440 mAh...what a joke.

Why is it a joke ? Do you know something that the rest of us don't and want to share. Are you a battery Engineer and do you have proof that it is the battery that will be included ? Provide us with a link that shows this is the battery and it is a joke please. :confused::confused:

Didn't think so...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The amount of time on WiFi and cell signal really can change the battery life unfortunately. With my Galaxy Nexus, on cell signal only I can get AT MOST 1:30 of usage, while on WiFi only I can get 3-4 hours.

And that's why I'm selling it to get the new iPhone.

1:30? :confused: What's your cell signal like? Those are abysmal numbers.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No, they wont. Lateral move at worst.

And the 4S holds its own very well.

I would say these are spot on very accurate. I had a Galaxy S2 and also an HTC One S (T-Mobile) and my 4S smoked them both in battery life. The 4S was the only one that got me through the entire day without any charging. The Android OS just seems to have too much going on that drains the battery despite the devices having larger batteries than the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.