How many iPad owners have a desktop and/or laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PacMan3000, Mar 16, 2011.

1. PacMan3000 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was wondering how this breaks down on this forum? How many of you guys who have an iPad 1 or iPad 2 also own a desktop computer? Or a laptop computer?

And how many own a desktop computer, a laptop, and now an iPad?

I'm wondering if you feel you're getting your money's worth will ALL your computer-related technology, or if in using your iPad, you use your desktop or laptop significantly less?

Thanks.

2. 184550 Guest

I own an iMac, iPad and iPhone.

The iPad fits in perfectly for lounging around after work in the living room and reading news apps and checking email. I also find it useful when I take it to work to read the latest news or casually browse websites through out the day when I've got the time.

3. erure macrumors regular

I have an iMac, MacBook Air, and an iPad 2. I feel like I haven't been using the MacBook Air that much lately because I'm done with school, but I've been thinking about selling the iMac and MacBook Air and getting a MacBook Pro. I think the iPad is a nice extra thing to have (I love using it when I'm being lazy in the house) but not really a computer replacement :)

4. Hyakku macrumors newbie

Sold my laptop when I got my first Ipad 1 (ironic, considering I've been a PC guy since I've been 10 and have always been pretty oppossed to Apple) and bought/built a decently powerful desktop on the cheap for home use. Laptop just seems superfluous to me nowadays, and no, I don't just have to consume content, I write at least 10-30 pages of analytical writing pieces a week along with doing other university homework and projects using my pad and desktop.

The bulk of most laptops, combined with the limited functionality for really intensive programs (i'm not buying a 3k laptop to do what a $500 desktop can) and potential for sluggish performance in Windows on subpar hardware, ironically enough, makes the old "ipad isn't really for REAL work" adage more applicable to the old laptop paradigm than it does to the ipad in my personal experience.

Oh, and I have a windows mobile phone (yes, the windows mobile of old, not windows phone 7), so I don't have to buy 3g ipads, I just wirelessly tether them to my phone. Windows, yea :p.

5. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I have an ipad 1, macbook pro, and a box PC. They each do their own thing. I hardly use the PC at all other than to store all of my music and photos. Macbook used for presentations and to work in Excel and other programs that aren't on the ipad. ipad mainly used for browsing, reading books, and reading research reports that I used to print out and carry with me. ipad also good for random note taking.

6. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I have an ipad2 and one of the new MacBook pros. Before then I had an older mbp and iPad. Those two devices are the great majority of my computing. Most browsing and media viewing/listening takes place on the iPad. Most productivity is on the MacBook pro. If I had to own just one it would be the MacBook pro for sure, even though I use the iPad more. The iPad can replace a lot of tasks for a laptop, but the iPad simply can not do some of the things I use my laptop for. Unless you have a desktop, which in that case a desktop/iPad would be a great combo, unless you needed to do a lot of productivity on the go.

I also have a windows 7 desktop, but it is almost strictly for gaming and htpc use in the basement. I don't use it for general computer stuff hardly at all.

7. kindaobsessed macrumors member

I have a MacBook pro, iPad and an iPhone. It is so hard showing them an equal amount of attention.

8. MassacrMan macrumors member

I have a Windows 7 based custom built desktop, a Netbook, and an iPad. My Netbook wasn't working properly lately and since it seemed to be kicking the bucket soon, I got an iPad.

I do all my school work when I'm home on my desktop along with the majority of my gaming. Otherwise, I use my iPad for couch lounging, email, taking notes in class, browsing when I have some down time at school, and some gaming too.

9. gus6464 macrumors regular

I have my Windows machine strictly for gaming use. Then my wife has an iMac where she does her design work and used to have an MBP 13 but sold it to buy the ipad 2. Then I have an older Windows laptop that I have not touched since I got the ipad and have absolutely no need to.

As far as future computer purchases go we will probably upgrade her iMac to a 27 incher and I will continue to upgrade my gaming rig as usual. But I might also purchase a mac mini for myself to start dabbling in iOS development. With the ipad we have both come to the conclusion that we probably will never need to buy a laptop again.

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I have too much stuff. I have two Mac Pros (one is my main desktop and the other is my digital recording workstation,) two MacBook Pros (my lady uses my three year old one) two iPhones (I still have my no longer activated 3G in addition to my current iPhone 4,) an iPod classic, an iPod nano and two iPads (my lady uses my original iPad.) And that's in addition to my original Mac (a MacPlus 512ke) and an old Quadra 475 that's out in my garage.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have a 15" MB Pro that I mainly use for DJing plus I have a Windows 7 desktop that I use when I work from home. I also have a XP desktop that is strictly for the children. I love my iPad coupled with my Apple TV :D

12. Zeos macrumors 6502

iPad, iPhone, Mac book pro, iMac, Dell laptop (most for work, a couple for home). Stay sync'ed up nicely with MobileMe, iDisk, and dropbox. Access the laptop and desktops remotely on the iPad using the Jump app. All works great and I don't need to lug my laptop around as much!:D

13. Virtute macrumors member

As it stands, I have a four-and-a-half year old 15" MacBook Pro and I've decided it's time to upgrade. I've elected to go for an iPad 2 3G for my mobile/light home use and an iMac for my more intensive home use.

Initially I was considering buying a new laptop, but over the time I've had one, I simply didn't find it portable enough. For my music recording and video editing needs, I require a powerful computer and a larger screen than my laptop has to offer, but going to the 17" model makes portability an even bigger hassle. Then it hit me––buy an iMac once they're refreshed, and buy an iPad 2.

So, I guess that will soon put me in the All Three category, but I find each of them meet very specific needs of mine.

iPad - continuous connection, everywhere I go
    iMac - powerhouse for music studio
    MBP - recording for on the road/live situations

14. midorigal macrumors newbie

I have an iMac, iPhone and iPad 1. I use the desktop for work/papers and filling out applications. The iPhone I use at work (3G network to check on my dog at daycare) because our IT keeps a fairly tight lockdown on our wifi. The wifi iPad I use on the couch to surf and read.

My husband has a Macbook Pro he uses for timesheets and heavy duty graphics at work and an iPhone to surf/listen to music and read the NY Times. We have an iPad 2 coming and I'll most likely get the new one and swap with him so he can have the iPad 1...very excited!

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Mac Pro
    13" MacBook Air
    iPad 3G
    iPhone 4

iPad gets used the least.

MacBook Air gets used the most.

I'm considering a 17" MBP because I'd like to have a larger screen to work from when I'm away from the desk. Not sure about the trade off in size weight and size though. At 17" just a little more noticeable on your lap than my MacBook Air, maybe too noticeable?

I own my company and buy Mac's for my staff ... about $100,000 in Apple business annually.... so I have access at any time to 11" MBA's, 13 and 15" MBP's and the iMac(24") ....

The setup above is what I chose to work with .... haven't owned a 17" yet :)

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have a 15" MBP, iPad and iPhone 4.

I take my iPhone 4 pretty much everywhere. After that I take my iPad mostly everywhere. Then I take my MBP when I am going to be someplace and need to get work done.

Basically I use iPad when I don't need the power of my MBP. When I am at my desk though I have both set up so I can use them at the same time, usually the iPad for email or referencing a website.

I think the device with the least usage right now is my iPhone, but it still has the portability factor which the other two can't beat. And when it is with my iPad or MBP I use it for tethering.

So iPad kind of does cut in to other devices usage, but not enough so that I can get rid of the others...

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm assuming every iPad owner has a desktop or laptop. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you would activate the thing.

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have the first-gen Mac Pro, a 17" MBP, a first-gen MBA and a 2010 Mac Mini, along with the original first-gen iPad and now the new iPad 2. Also an iPhone 4.

The Mac Pro is mainly for photographic processing, the Mac Mini is for everyday kinds of stuff, the 17" MBP is pretty much "retired" and the MBA still sees some use. The first-gen iPad took over a lot of the duties of the MBA and the new iPad 2 is following in its footsteps. I think in the next year or so I'll be shuffling some things around and "downsizing," as I really do not need all of these, although each item does fulfill a specific purpose or need (or did at the time I initially purchased it).

19. robertatwb macrumors member

robertatwb

See sig and I'm using the desktop quite a bit less due to the iPad...

20. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

21. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't have a desktop but I have a laptop that I bought when I started doing statistics work for school and needed to use a specific software package. I expect I'll need to use my laptop for some things but so far, the iPad is proving useful and far more portable.

22. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

See my sig below. All get used, I'm a videographer and video editor: Mac Pro is main editing machine, 17" MBP is my music server & what I use to sync/ backup my iPhone & iPad, 15" MBP is my portable editing machine and the Air is used in the field at shoots to dump video to (I shoot with a Canon 60D). I use my iPad for web surfing, email and reading.

Will soon be adding a quad-core 17" MBP. :)

23. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

24" iMac 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    64GB iPad 3G
    Rogers BlackBerry 9780 Black. I thought I could easily switch back but I love Safari too much and the Screen is a PITA. I will be going back to iPhone 5 as soon as I can get my hands on it!

I pointed out before that I turned my brother into a Mac wh**e. LOL

17" iMac 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB MacBook Air
    iPad 16GB Wi-Fi
    32GB Black iPhone 4, this came from me (see above).
    32GB iPod touch 4G

16GB iPad 2 Wi-Fi is on it's way!

24. Caliber26, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

The Holy Trinity

iMac + iPhone + iPad = Perfection
    I actually sold my MBP and got an iMac for the sole purpose of eliminating redundancy. I didn't want to face the same dilemma every time I sit on the couch: laptop or iPad? I loved dragging my 13-incher all over the house, but now the iPad fills that role much better.

The iMac, of course, is for all my downloading, filing, editing, AppleTV streaming, and lengthy typing.

The iPad is my couch & bed companion, since 80% of my 'computer' use is browsing websites, emails, and chatting on AIM. (and now the occasional FaceTime conversation)

And my iPhone is the perfect pocket :apple:-amulet: Gives me games, internet, and emails, while I'm at the dealership, waiting on an oil change. And, occasionally, it's my GPS when I'm behind the wheel. (plus it gives my iPad 3G connectivity during those rare occasions I feel the need to bring it outta the house, such as a road trip)

25. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have too many apple devices.. iMac, MacBook, iPhones, ipad2, 2 win7 desktops and 2 win7 laptops, and a win 7 netbook. Somebody please help me!!