How many iPad1 owners are sitting this one out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Richard8655, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Richard8655, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

Richard8655 macrumors 6502

How many of you iPad1 owners are mildly amused at this frenzy and hype, calmy waiting for the real deal - iPad3? (Red leather with white, no, pink with black, no wait...)

2. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Um

What?

3. seajay96 macrumors 6502

While I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that iPad3 will be the "real deal" I am bypassing iPad2, I am more than satisfied with the performance of the original. The improvements in iPad2 are not compelling enough for me to fork out the cash.

4. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I am trying to sit this one out. I have the cash to get one but I feel like I won't notice too much of a difference between the new one and my 64gb 3g. Last year when the ipad 1 launched, I was like OMFG I need one now. This year, I can add 20 more bucks and buy a refurbished MBA. I will wait a few weeks and watch some comparisons between the ipad 1 and ipad 2. If it seems like the improvements are worth it, I will pick up a high end off of craigslist for somewhere around 700.

5. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I'm sitting out. I don't need cameras and the first gen seems plenty fast to me.

6. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

No

What's this about leather???

Anyways, I don't see a point in replacing something perfectly adequate. The original iPad is great!

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I was determined to sit out iPad 2, but as the time approaches, I can feel my resistance weakening.

It's not out in the UK for a couple of weeks so I'll see what the initial reviews are like and then make a decision

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm sitting this one out. The iPad 1 is a fantastic device and the only thing which will make me hand over more cash for a new model is a higher resolution display.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm not sitting it out b/c I want to get money for my iPad 1 while it's still worth decent money -- Apple is likely to shunt its desirability via iOS 6 same way iOS 4 dampened iPhone 3G. But as far as the hype and excitement, no I'm not there 100% -- Maybe 89%. Ha. Will be @ BB around 4:30 in any event.

10. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Sitting this one out. Still very happy with iPad 1 and no reason to change in the near future. Next upgrade will likely be MacBook > MacBook Air.

11. connoisseur macrumors member

I'm sitting this one out . I own a 64gb wifi only iPad and a iPhone 4
    I can't wait for the accessories to all go on sale

12. deeddawg, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Sitting out the launch for sure. My ipad1 does what I need to do with no issues; I've not found myself "waiting" for my ipad on anything I do, so a speed increase doesn't have a real world benefit and I don't need cameras.

In a couple months I may upgrade; depends on what claims are made for iOS5 w.r.t. iPad1. I anticipate the oversupply of used ipads to ease and resale prices to rise.

Edit: shipping estimates now at 2-3 weeks. Not to be ugly, but given the options of (1) keeping ipad1, accepting additional $100 or so loss on resale, being able to use it throughout the ipad2 buying frenzy and then calmly deciding on an update once iOS5 info comes out or (2) selling ipad1 before announcement and going without it for between a couple weeks if you're able to stand in line and get the model you want or a month+ if you have to order/wait, I'm happy to have chosen option #1. :D

13. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Me. I've had my iPad since last April and am still happy with it.

14. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Probably Wished I Would Have Waited for 3rd Gen.

I sold my iPad1 Wednesday locally via Craigslist for cash. Maybe it is just the smaller community I live in, but a lot of potential buyers smelled blood in the water. I got a lot of lowball offers for 64gb 3G ATT model. Maybe the extra storage and 3G isn't worth much to most people? Anyway one guy hounded me for a lowball price and wanted my unlimited SIMM. Like that was going to happen:mad:

In the end I got the same price I would have gotten from Ebay (instant buy). This evening I'll be in line with everyone hoping I can get my hands on a replacement iPad2.

I'm just hoping that the small improvements of the iPad2 make it worth the time and effort to sell the iPad1. Oh well, maybe the wait line will be fun. Sort of a mini-Macworld convention.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I would sit this one out, but thinking about all the posts I am going to read about how cool or fast or this or that the iPad 2 is, I might as well bite the bullet and get it over with... :rolleyes:

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I am, at least for now. This comes as quite a shock to me given my use case (see my signature...) but in the end the speed improvements brought by 4.3 on the iPad 1 are surprisingly effective.

No I am not deluding myself into thinking that it's as fast as an iPad 2 (by a long shot). The issue for me is that the only thing I really thought I needed was the additional horsepower. The thinner, lighter profile would've been nice to be sure. The rest of the improvements just gravy.

But now that safari is way better, and even mail snappier, I don't find the need for more horses so acute. I also un-hid the 4/5 finger gestures with the xcode trick. Combined with the 4.3 improvements it sort of feels like I have a new device as it is :)

I am going to hold off at least until iOS 5. I wouldn't be surprised if it leaves the iPad 1 feeling....wanting. If it swings the pendulum back the other way, further bogging things down from where they are now, then I probably pull the trigger then. If not, I wait for iPad 3 and its presumably larger improvements.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Just buy the ipad3 next year, that gives you a full year with the ipad2. You just have to sell it early enough and you shouldn't lose more than $100 or so, that's a small price to pay every year IMO, but I'm a gadget ho.

18. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Yeah I'm sitting this one out too. Still happy with my first gen :)

19. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I'm sitting this one out for now, with the 4.3 update the iPad is like it's brand new!

20. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I'm sitting this one out only because I couldn't sell my iPad 1. Otherwise I'd be in line right now like a good fanboy.

21. Paul S macrumors regular

I'm not that thrilled about the "upgrades" of the iPad2, so going to wait for the next gen.

22. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I just sold mac book air and getting Ipad 2. Mac book air screen way to small

23. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I always buy the new device instead of waiting. Sell the old why the getting is good

24. weenie macrumors member

Sitting out.

I have iPad-1 and iPhone-4 so don't think the speed or camera worth the upgrade. The iPad-1 does everything perfectly for me now, a few seconds saved won't matter that much.

I will upgrade to iPad-3 when available because I am hoping that it will have more memory, even faster and better display.

25. JakRox macrumors member

Keeping both iPad 1 versions in our home. We've only had ours about 6 months. Can't see the need to upgrade seeings as how ours are still perfect in working order and physical being. iPad in it's current state works great and the next version just didn't offer us anything felt we couldn't live without. Waiting to see what #3 brings.