Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 5 replacements under warranty #

• Total voters

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I've had two replacements, but my first replacement was immediately replaced due to loose volume buttons (you could click the volume up button without actually pressing it).

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
had my iphone for about 8 months now.
no issues with it!
none of those bad battery... scratches outta the box mambo jambo stuff i've read about here.
perfectly functioning n gorgeous looking device. :cool:

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
Got the iPhone 5 on release date with no way to sync or charge because they forgot to package the "Lightning" cord haha! then 4 weeks after that, the sleep button started rattling and it wasn't functioning as it's supposed to be. this happened on a trip too! luckily there was an Apple Store near by and got it replaced. Fast forward to 9 months, Yesterday i had it replaced because the charging port wouldn't let me charge or sync to a computer<<<that would be the 2nd time that i've had it replaced. i'm 2 and half months away from having my 1 year Apple Care warranty from expiring. I should have extended it when i had the chance.

The funny thing about the 2nd exchange. I've spent all of the night before the appointment, trying to rid of any traces of the jailbreak(haha!) first i ran iLEX RAT! i did it through terminal on my Mac. Phone wipe clean but it still had Cydia on it. I browsed around JailbreakQA for answers on how to delete Cydia properly and scooped in after hours. All you have to do is uninstall "Cydia Installer". Voila! now the phone is all stocked up.

At the day of the appointment. I was sort of nervous because i had a jailbroken iPhone and thought they would find out but they didn't. When it came time to finally receiving my replacement. The Genius Bar personnel asked me to put my passcode on the broken phone because he wanted to run "Erase All Contents & Settings" for agreement purposes. Didn't hesitate at all! i started watching the phone as it went to an endless boot loop! hahahaha! i was so scared! then after like 8 mins of sitting there and watching the madness. The Genius Bar put the broken phone on the box that came with the replacement and walked away after he handed me my brand spanking new replacement iPhone 5. oh my god that was prolly the most intense thing that ever happen! glad i got it replaced!!!

future adviced for those with a jailbroken iPhone with a broken charging/sync port! save your battery and keep your phone on airplane mode till the appointment. luckily before my phone broke it accumulated 75% of power left and it wend down to 58% when i finally handed over.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Got the iPhone 5 on release date with no way to sync or charge because they forgot to package the "Lightning" cord haha! then 4 weeks after that, the sleep button started rattling and it wasn't functioning as it's supposed to be. this happened on a trip too! luckily there was an Apple Store near by and got it replaced. Fast forward to 9 months, Yesterday i had it replaced because the charging port wouldn't let me charge or sync to a computer<<<that would be the 2nd time that i've had it replaced. i'm 2 and half months away from having my 1 year Apple Care warranty from expiring. I should have extended it when i had the chance.

The funny thing about the 2nd exchange. I've spent all of the night before the appointment, trying to rid of any traces of the jailbreak(haha!) first i ran iLEX RAT! i did it through terminal on my Mac. Phone wipe clean but it still had Cydia on it. I browsed around JailbreakQA for answers on how to delete Cydia properly and scooped in after hours. All you have to do is uninstall "Cydia Installer". Voila! now the phone is all stocked up.

At the day of the appointment. I was sort of nervous because i had a jailbroken iPhone and thought they would find out but they didn't. When it came time to finally receiving my replacement. The Genius Bar personnel asked me to put my passcode on the broken phone because he wanted to run "Erase All Contents & Settings" for agreement purposes. Didn't hesitate at all! i started watching the phone as it went to an endless boot loop! hahahaha! i was so scared! then after like 8 mins of sitting there and watching the madness. The Genius Bar put the broken phone on the box that came with the replacement and walked away after he handed me my brand spanking new replacement iPhone 5. oh my god that was prolly the most intense thing that ever happen! glad i got it replaced!!!

future adviced for those with a jailbroken iPhone with a broken charging/sync port! save your battery and keep your phone on airplane mode till the appointment. luckily before my phone broke it accumulated 75% of power left and it wend down to 58% when i finally handed over.

Why not just restore it before going?? Too much drama for such a simple task.

Applehatch

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I'm on my 2nd. My first one was having terrible battery life. Genius restored it and re installed the software on it and still wasn't better. My current one is pretty good. Still in good shape. A few scratches. My home button sometimes sticks but other than that I can't complain. :)

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
The current results of the poll is interesting. Only 59% responded that they had no replacement. That means that 41% had at least one replacement. That seems unusually high to me.

The poll isn't specific. I would like to see it broken down. Manufacture defect, user error, theft. Etc

ds.

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Thank you. Mines the exactly problem. Hopefully I'm as lucky when I make a trip in a couple weeks.

From what I've heard and read on this forum, Apple's customer service is more often than not great. The genius at the store told me that the button cannot be replaced on its own as the whole thing is a single unibody assembly. So hopefully you get a replacement too. Always nice to get a new phone :D

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
Why not just restore it before going?? Too much drama for such a simple task.

If you actually read through the whole thing. The charging/syncing port was broken! it won't even let me sync it to my computer nor iTunes! i had to remotely restore it via iLEX RAT commands! but still, it was stock but it was still jailbroken.

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
I will be going on my 4th replacement iPhone 5 and i'm just wondering if it's just bad luck or if this is normal... it seems to me like the build quality on iPhone 5's is pretty bad... I've had 2x terrible batteries, a hairline of dead pixels, and now both my lock and silent buttons are sticky and i didn't do anything to cause it... the phone is in a bumper case!

I initially received a replacement due to problems with my noise cancelling microphone. Turns out, my replacement didn't have a working speaker. Went in the next day and had the same Genius help me as before and was appalled I received a dysfunctional replacement right out of the box. Nonetheless, I haven't had a problem since.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Smh, I dropped my phone a couple of days ago and though it works, the glass is spider-webbed and chipped off at the top right area, so it's time to go get it replaced. It's operating on a JB but I may have to go ahead and give it up and get the phone replaced through Apple.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Are you getting these replaced with Apple Care? The power button my first iPhone 5 has just recently gone out and I don't have any Apple Care. Been wondering if I could get a replacement from the Genius Bar or not.

They replace it under the 1 year warranty since it is a hardware defect. If you got a release day phone you don't have much longer for the 1 year warranty.

It may be just me but I don't believe in purchasing Applecare+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.