How many iPhone users keep their data turned off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvader123, Nov 14, 2014.

?

Do you turn off data?

1. I leave data on all the time

193 vote(s)
    81.4%
  2. I turn off data and rely on wifi only

12 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. I do a mixture of both

32 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. dvader123 macrumors regular

Which means you rely totally on wifi to use features like safari, mail, etc.

I ask because if you have data off then what do you do to get basic features that require data?

Specifically, I'm talking about voicemail notification which you can only get if you have data turned on. Being connected to wifi does not get you voicemail notification.

*Note: I am not talking about getting the voicemail. I'm talking about being notified that you have a voicemail message. I'm also not talking about visual voicemail which requires data. I'm talking about just getting the red dot on the voicemail tab in the phone app that tells you that you have a voicemail. This happens on iOS 8.1

If you miss a call and that person leaves a message then you'll never know that you have a voicemail unless you just happen to check you voicemail, but by then it might be days or weeks since the person left you that message. Just wondering what you guys do or maybe you don't care to know whether someone left you a voicemail.

2. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Data ALWAYS on, WiFi whenever it's available.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why would you even bother turning data off unless travelling internationally?

Even the basic plans include enough data to handle system services and voicemail stuff if you avoid any data hungry stuff until you have wifi.

Data always on, wifi always on. Wifi connects up to work and home automatically.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Data always on, WiFi when possible. Not sure why you would turn off data.

5. dvader123, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

Because if you have the lowest data plan (Verizon 250MB/mo.), it could get used up if you go on Youtube in a non-wifi area.

There are many cases of where users report having wifi, but their phone used data instead. That can be a very expensive mistake.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Some people prefer the smallest data plan. That's why it's an option when you get a phone plan. There's also an option on the iphone that allows you to turn off data. People prefer that. They don't have to be connected to the internet all the time.

6. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

It was hard to understand because you left out a key detail: you prefer the smallest data plan and feel it's worth saving $15/mo in exchange for the hassle and implications of turning data on and off. ($15 is from comparing the $45 promo plan with 250MB data against the current $60 plan with 1GB data)

When you choose to do something that's pretty uncommon (think about the typical participant on MR) don't be surprised if that's not something that comes to people's mind.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

200-500mb is the average here in germany but I never saw anyone turn off their data for that reason

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Some people may also turn it off to save battery, especially when in poor signal areas. I have my phone configured to turn data off after 1 minute of the screen being off, and turn it back on when the display is on. I also have it periodically turn on every 15 minutes for 1 minute to get notifications, this way at work with horrible service my phone doesn't die by the time I get out of work.

There are many reasons, other than just not wanting to go over your monthly cap.

10. dvader123, Nov 14, 2014

I agree that there are other reasons. Some people choose to have it turned off. Comments like "Why get an iphone" or "Get a nokia instead" speaks to the fact that people think everyone else is like them. People are different. They have their own preferences. No need to judge.

----------

Who says it's a hassle? If people really care about how I use my iphone and feel that it's weird that I turn off data, then go ahead and pay for the extra data. I'll keep it on then. :)

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Data always on, Wifi is used when available (if it's faster than my phone's LTE), otherwise I don't connect to Wifi either.

I don't see the point in owning an iPhone and keeping the data turned off. Might as well just get an iPod Touch and a dumb phone. It would probably be cheaper.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

I do. For me, futzing around with turning data on and off would be annoying. If it's not a hassle to you, great.

If you're open to different opinions, don't ask "How many iPhone users keep their data turned off?" :)

As far as I'm concerned, it's your phone; use it however you see fit. ;)

14. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i bought an iphone because i want to use ALL of its functions when i'm ready. i don't want the hassle of going into settings to turn on/off data.

if i didn't want all the functionality of an iphone and the data plan that goes along with it, i'd just buy a cheap flip phone.

data always on

15. dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, but you miss the point. I was taking a poll. I could care less how people use their phone. The problem started when people started care how I used mine. :rolleyes:

But I think you're right. I'm going to go ahead and buy the extra data. I was happy with the way I used my phone, but it's obvious that there's absolutely no point in owning an iphone if I keep data off.

I think I'll go ahead and get the unlimited data plan or perhaps the largest plan that they offer.

Thanks for the help. =)

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

LOL. Did you really think the people here wouldn't add commentary? :D

17. dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

Ummm...no. SMH. But I guess you didn't understand what I said. It's okay. :p

18. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

Well doesn't leaving data on all the time drains the battery more? I only turn on data when am out, when I am at home, I turn on wifi and turn off data..

19. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Data always on. WiFi when available. I pay for data, so I may as well use it.

20. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'l take this one step further, even though you didn't ask :p

i read all the threads and articles about poor battery life and ideas of what to do to get more battery life. well, i personally think my batterly life stinx (and that was one of the reasons along with the size of the screen) that i bought a 6+

all those articles say turn this off, turn that off, turn everything OFF and you'll get better battery..... i always disregard 95% of their suggestions because i want to use my phone and ENJOY it... not futz around turning funtions on and off!

so good on you for getting a larger data plan (verizon doesn't have unlimited anymore, i don't believe) i think you'll enjoy no futzing with the on/off crap anymore!!! ENJOY!

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's not even really about unlimited data either (at least not truly unlimited). The stuff that uses data in the background isn't significant enough to warrant an unlimited data plan.

When someone is paying Verizon for a paltry plan like 500MB or that charges extra for going over what it tells me is that person hasn't done proper research on the cellular plans available to them. With how fast these LTE networks are getting, such a pathetic data plan could be accidentally blasted through in a half hour. I'm not even sure why Verizon even bothers offering a data plan that low unless the sole purpose is to extract overage charges from users who go over. Even if one lives in a location that requires Verizon level coverage, they can easily go to Straightalk and get a $45 plan that offers unlimited data (throttled after 2GBs) and no overages and uses Verizon towers.

Turning data on and off on a regular basis to avoid overages is silly. It shows that you haven't done your due diligence when choosing a carrier and cell phone plan that meets your needs. You should be able to enjoy your iPhone and not have to be afraid to use most of its features outside your house because of overages on your small data plan. If you have to turn the main driving feature of a smartphone off then what's the point of having it?

There really is no point to owning an iPhone if you have to turn the data off regularly. Just get an iPod Touch and save yourself an extra $500+.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

False. Be careful assuming lack of understanding; the reality is I just didn't care to continue the discussion after you started taking things personally when people were just stating their opinions and expressing surprise.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Fair enough, but then, why force the question? If you're setting up a thread where the motive is to poll membership for the No-Data-Users Club, why get defensive when people ask what the point is? Because that's exactly what's going to happen.

FYI: It looks like the cellular data requirement for VM indicator is a carrier-dependent thing. On T-Mobile, I can turn off both WiFi calling and Cellular data, and still get a VM notification (red dot) and the actual visual voicemail message, apparently sent over a regular WiFi connection.

And to put in my vote: cellular data always on, wifi when available. I'm on T-Mobile's unlimited plan (thanks referral program!) so there's no sense in turning it off. And even without unlimited, there are no overage charges, you just get throttled to 2G speeds. 2G speed is better than no speed.

24. dvader123, Nov 14, 2014

It's obvious that you do care, but I told you it's okay if you don't understand my point. Don't have to get so worked up about it. Why don't you do yourself a favor and take a deep breath, go outside, and enjoy the day. :)

25. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Data always on.

If I have to pay more to use a smartphone because I require data, why would I get a smartphone if I'm not going to use that data? It would be extremely cheaper to just get a simple $10 or $15 card from Wal-Mart and a disposable LG or Samsung Flip Phone and use an iPod touch for everything else.