How Many of You Actually Use the Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Torrek, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Torrek macrumors newbie

I'm getting a Black MacBook for Christmas, and I've been thinking lately..

When you're at home at a desk or other similar surface, do you guys use the trackpad or do you have an external mouse?

I know if I plan on taking my Macbook somewhere I'll be using the trackpad, but at home I'm not quite sure if I'll need one. It just seems to me that after awhile it would get pretty finicky... thoughts?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have never used a mouse with my macbook, after all I have my hands on it anyway to type so the trackpad is more convenient for me.

Obviously if you have an external keyboard then using the trackpad would be very annoying.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

when I'm at my desk I have a mouse plugged in, but I'm so used to using the trackpad 'cause I use my MB out of the house so often that I unconsciously end up moving from the mouse to the trackpad.

Apple's trackpad is easily the best I've ever seen on a laptop, so using it is not annoying like it is on most other laptops.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I plug a mouse in my lappies any chance I have. Not a fan of the trackpad.

5. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I use my trackpad all the time. Its too much hassle to plug a mouse in or turn one on if you want to use one.

EDIT:
    Looks like its down to personal taste by looking at the replies. And obviously xUKHCx and myself have the best taste!

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Trackpad when out of the house or doing general computing (email, Internet use).
    An external mouse when I'm doing editing work that requires a lot of scrolling or point-and-clicks to reposition the cursor.

7. Torrek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really thinking about getting a wireless mighty mouse to use when I'm here at my desk and if I wanna go somewheres else I'd leave it behind. I have used previous Apple trackpads and the current one, and it really is a big improvement. I guess before I make my decision I'll have to try it out in real life rather than at the best buy haha.

8. msinco macrumors newbie

trackpad all the time

i actually never use a mouse anymore when im using the macbook. the only exceptions are when im trying to use cad(via parallels) or when using photoshop. its easier with the mouse for these apps. :)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The mighty mouse is prone to problems with the scroll ball. Do a quick search and you will come up with hundreds of posts.

If I were to buy another mouse it certainly wouldn't be a MM.

10. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice not having an additional mouse for my laptop. :D

12. Torrek thread starter macrumors newbie

Although I do know it's prone to scroll ball problems, I really do love the design of the mighty mouse and its ergonomics work well with my hand. If, however, the scroll ball does die then it wouldn't be hard for me to get a new one/replacement/fixed.

13. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I use a mouse when I am at my desk because I can have more buttons than the trackpad and gaming is really not possible with a track pad.

On the road however, I use the track pad and it is perfectly fine for surfing the net and using Office. At least for me.

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I bought a wireless mouse when I got my Powerbook over 3 years ago and have rarely used it; the trackpad's great.

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Use it all the time. Two finger-click and scrolling are a breeze to use.

16. art gardiner macrumors member

During normal everyday use I work with the trackpad, as mentioned before it's just easier as my hands are on the keyboard anyway. That said, I will usually hook up my pen tablet while I'm working - it makes for easier control of the selection process in photoshop, and for it's ability to be customizable per app; final cut pro, iview media, photo mechanic, flash, dreamweaver, etc.

I think it really just comes down to what best fits your workflow, and why you purchased a laptop to begin with. For me, it's the mobility factor. I can just throw my tablet into my satchel with my laptop, and go. For you? Think about the app's that you are most likely to use on a daily basis, and go from there.

HTH's,

Art

17. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

Trackpad all the way, baby!

I tend to use an external mouse on my work laptop, but to be honest, I find that I don't need to in OSX. The multi-finger scrolling is just about the best single improvement in my personal portable computing experience and it has transformed the way I work on the MacBook. I love it, and I dislike having to go back to using a mouse.

18. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I prefer trackpad over an external mouse. I once decided to get a wireless mightymouse but couldn't get used to it so I sold it and went back to trackpad :apple:

19. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I use an external trackball mouse whenever I'm home. Trackpad works fine on the go, but I find that extended use of the trackpad for anything mouse intensive takes it out of my wrist a bit. External mice are definitely faster and more comfortable over an extended period of time.

Cheers :)

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I LOVE the trackpad. I use it for surfing the web or emailing. If i'm home though, i use a wireless mouse for Adobe CS3. I just have the laptop on my lap and the mouse is on the coffee table--when i'm laying on the couch.

21. Tacos! macrumors member

The trackpad i use for normal things, I am picking up a BT mouse for gaming though.

22. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

imho trackpads are a poor substitute for a trackball, they could easily build one into a macbook

23. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have a bluetooth tablet on my desk but I prefer using the mouse since operating the stylus too far away from the screen is a little difficult. After work I only use my powerbook without an external mouse or tablet. The trackpad is just fine, even with photoshop. I also like the scrollfeeture with the two fingers a lot.

24. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I never could really feel comfortable using a trackpad for an extended period of time. Most of the time I just use my mouse. Though if I need to use my MacBook really quick or I have to rush out the door, I'll just use the trackpad.