Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I've used the G1, Droid, Droid 2, Droid Incredible, plus a few others (including one of Samsung's recent ones). I have three Android devices myself.

Android 1.x and 2.x devices have no interface acceleration. So when people mention slow, sluggish performance, that is partially to blame.
If things move smoothly on your 1GHz+ device - well, congratulations. That is how things were on the 412 MHz iPhones that did had interface acceleration back in 2007/2008 (iOS devices didn't need to be that fast to perform well).

Lots of phones have terrible battery life, especially the ones that *boast* 4G. Also, many of the user-replaceable batteries have been pretty crappy.

Things are definitely getting better with Android (and 4.0 is looking good), but 2008-2011 has just filled with so much Android crap. It earned its reputation for a reason. There may be a dozen great Android devices, but for every one good one, there has to be at least 10 stinkers.

Drakko3546

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I've owned a myTouch 4g, and I'd say Android is a really good alternative.

PROS:

1) Freedom :)
2) Customize. EVERYTHING.
3) Choice of hardware

CONS:

1) Getting updates for your phone takes forever
2) iOS is faster.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I am just curious if any of you on here have actually used an Android phone extensively.
I don’t have any of these “Android problems” like lagginess, bad battery life, etc. on my Samsung Galaxy S Captivate that many people on here use to hate on Android. It is actually very nice, it’s just not as polished as iOS but it is still a good operating system.:)

I've been using a Nexus S since it was released. Actually it' not a bad phone or OS, I just prefer the iPhone and plan on switching back when I finally get home and can hit up an Apple store. As far as I'm concerned both platforms have their pros and cons, I just buy what the hell I want because it's my money. To each their own :D

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
When I was in the UK:

Samsung Galaxy - hated their lack of even mid term support
Samsung Galaxy Tab - loved the concept, it could play mkv files - big thing for me, but no official update to honeycomb lead me to sell it. Touch wiz was poor and the lack of apps to the quality of Garageband was to its demise
ZTE Blade - For £100, this was a great phone. OLED display and could put 2.3 on with minimal hassle, build quality not so great.

and for good heterogenous measure,

Nokia N900 - lovely hardware, apart from resistive screen. Software was great apart from Nokia taking it round back with a shotgun...
Palm Pixi + - nice hardware, cheap phone, best multitasking and notification experience. Everyone still needs to learn from synergy. Sad that HP is so unsure with the platform.

In the USA now

-Samsung Epic 4G - meh, bad battery life. Would die after being unplugged 4 hours prior. Touchwiz still awful, no support from Samsung until too late.

So I couldn't stand it much longer and paid the $550+ tax for an iPhone 4.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Droid x I loved it at first had it rooted etc then along came gingerbread now it freezes randomly reboots etc can't wait to dump it just can't decide if I want to get 4s or wait for 5 I can upgrade early I'm really due in may

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I used a Nexus One and loved it, great phone, running vanilla android. easily rootable and the bootloader could also be unlocked. Updates straight from google were quick.

I then got a Droidx and my experience was the polar opposite. Encrypted bootloader, and while rootable at some point, it wasn't for most of the time I owned it. Motorola was slow in providing updates to android and when they did, it was incredibly buggy.

I learned my lesson, if I get another android phone, it will be a nexus class phone where the updates come straight from google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.