how many of you have ever "swyped"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brapmac740, Jul 23, 2011.

1. brapmac740 macrumors member

brapmac740

Just wondering what it would take for apple to get their developers on a mock Swype program.

Ever since I switched from droid to iPhone i severely miss swype texting. Tap texting is more of a waste of time than the new energy saving light bulb! It just takes so long compared to a fluid one stroke swype motion....

Call it iWhisk or something! Swype on the iPad would be phenomenal. I know you get security issues if apple would allow the swype keyboard on their OS but to avoid that they just need to come up with their own Swype. Do others feel the same or am I just being too critical?

2. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

I have used swipe but find it annoying when the words are saved wrong and you have to manually go back into the settings and fix it :mad: I dont see Apple going in this direction

3. vyas22 macrumors newbie

4. brapmac740 thread starter macrumors member

brapmac740

yes, true. But that's a very simple fix to incorporate in the code to make it more intuitive for word editing.

You know I'm not sure I want to do the whole Jailbreak thing. Haven't really researched enough into it to be confident enough that it wouldn't be more of a headache than what it's worth for me personally.

5. shandyman, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

shandyman Suspended

exactly, everyone i knew that used swype on android was praising it for about a month, but they've all reverted back to normal texting due to so many typos and just the novelty wore off. i highly doubt apple will do it.

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Used swype on the Atrix a few times during the 30 days I had it...didn't care for it at all.

MAYBE after using it for an extended time, it would become fluid for me...but I'd probably still prefer the landscape qwerty using my thumbs to text.

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I could never get used to it. Plus it would make a mess of my screen real quickly :p

8. illini71 macrumors member

Swype is great for phones. I can type out and email in half the time of than using tapping method. I have never experienced having to edit the word bank, sure sometimes when a slang word is not in it needs to be saved.

Swype for the ipad out dont know about that seems easier just to type traditionally.

I heard swype is out for a jailbroke iphone you need repo not sure what it is......

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.685; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Tried it. Hated it. Stopped using it. Biggest piece of gimmicky software next to the Sense UI on HTC phones, although usually not at the same time.

10. srxtr macrumors 6502a

My friend was bragging about swype the other day and saying how he can "type faster than you iPhoners thanks to swype". I told him you can type faster on iPhone over swype, just youtube for proof, and he got super defensive.

I personally haven't used swype, but after seeing videos of it vs iPhone typing and I think I'll stick with iPhone, although it wouldn't *hurt* to have the option to use it in settings.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think Swype is pretty cool and would like to see it added to iPhone eventually. There was a jailbroken version of it but it worked pretty badly, so I remved it.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I think swyped is nice but most of the time I use swiftkey for my keyboard.
    Swype I find is better for 1 handed texting and normal keyboard better when you are using 2 thumbs.

13. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks swype is way overhyped. Personally don't like it at all.

14. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I tried swype once. For the first few seconds it was neat, but then my right thumb would cover up the right side of the keyboard so I couldn't go straight to the letter I wanted without curving over another letter and it would screw everything else up. So swype is one of the last features I would like to have for my iPhone.

15. tekker macrumors regular

I think it's awesome. Been Swyping for over a year.

16. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I thought Swype was great for texting while i was driving. But I shouldn't have ever been doing that anyway. Usually I found it annoying for regular use.

17. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I have ShapeWriter still o my iPhone and I use it but not regularly.

18. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I downloaded ShapeWriter for my 1st gen iPhone... which worked like swype... when was still available in iTunes. It worked, but I hardly used it.

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Back when I had an Android phone I tried using Swype for a couple of weeks. However I found that I didn't like it at all. Honestly, I wouldn't really care if Apple continued to leave it out of iOS.

20. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I had Swype on my Android phone for a while. I loved it for English, but as soon as you needed to type in accented letters or non-English words (I live in Sweden, so it happens fairly regularly), it just completely falls over. Although, this was over a year ago - maybe it's better now.

21. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Swype is horrible before you spend more time building its word base. But after that the traditional typing really can't match Swype in terms of speed and ease of use.

22. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I've used swype for android and it was awesome. sounds like some of you used the jailbreak ios version and wasn't as good. Would love to see anything similar to swype to come out.

23. comper macrumors regular

Swype is the thing I miss most about android, aside from 4G. It takes some time to learn, but after you figure out everything (how to do double letters, how to replace words and add words, etc.) then it's really the fastest way to input text from a phone. It's like learning to type on a computer keyboard the right way - slower at first, but once mastered, MUCH faster than hunting and pecking (tap input). The only people I know that hated it were those who couldn't spell. It simply doesn't work if you don't know how to spell the word you're "swyping".

I'd LOVE to see Swype on the iPhone.