how many of you have light leaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajohnson253, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

does it or did it bother you enough to want to exchange for another iPhone without the leaks?
    Curious, because on my left side there are like 4 or 5 leaks it's kind of irritating this is my 4th iPhone 3g due to manufacture defects.

Debating on going to apple to handle this, I purchased the phone from best buy. I seem to know more then they do.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Mine are symetrical: 1 top left, 1 top right, 1 bottom left 1 bottom right, 1 mid left, 1 mid right, 1 in headphone jack...sad really..but every one except for the headphone jack and the top left only show sometimes. plus i have a first gen 16GB phone jailbroken, so I don't wanna go through the trouble to get a new one/refurb.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thank you for driving up the cost of iPhones. Don't people have better things to do than examine the edges of their iPhone in the dark for defects? At what point should this be considered OCD?

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

4th?! You're either paranoid or cursed.

Not a single problem. Love my 3G.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Mine has a tiny light leak that I never notice.

6. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

I have one left side. Noticed it about 2-3 days in, but my phone otherwise is in really good shape, so I haven't bothered replacing it. Plus my switcheasy colors covers it and I totally forgot about it until this post.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Mine has none what-so-ever. I'm lucky I guess.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

9. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I purchased 2 iphones, 1 white and 1 black. The white one got leaks about 4 weeks in. I simply took it in and exchanged it. The closer you are to the date of original purchase, the better chance you have at getting a replacement. For all you know, your phone could be falling apart slowly. Take it back for an exchange.

10. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

And thank YOU for having low standards of quality that allow this to happen in the first place!

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

been through 4 white 2 black they ALL have them and its almost been a frickin year APPLE et your ***** together :mad::D

12. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

My first 3G had a very very slight light leak...

my replacement (not due to light leak but due to faulty home button)...

It is freaken flawless!!! the only tiny tiny bit if light I can see is through the sim card holders hole... just a tiny tiny bit...

13. svndmvn Guest

I'm on my sixth iPhone 3g right now and they've all had light leaks,some more noticeable, some less, I'll attach my first one's..
    oh, I've exchanged them for various reasons, I started living with this defect, it sure is bad quality control over all, it's pretty annoying watching a movie at night or even just using it in a room, I have to turn the brightness all the way down and I can still see it, oh well..
    [​IMG]

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I just tested i set the background light to max and i can't see any leak of light anywhere there where some light in the headphone jack but i doubt that's indicates anything is wrong.

So far my iPhone 3G bought in August seems to be nearly perfect the only thing i have to complain about is that i think the accelerometer is a bit off, made a thread about it but nobody answered.

15. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I am just
    Gonna keep this one the screen is flawless the edges are perfect. I just tossed my incase slider on it. Fixed my problemm.......

16. sers macrumors regular

I've got light leak along the entire left side....but it doesn't bother me at all. The phone is otherwise perfect.:)

17. Pikkuroope macrumors member

Mine has a couple too, annoying, really annoying for such a expensive and some kind of superior like iPhone, too bad.

18. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

19. James L macrumors 6502a

When has the cost of the iPhone gone up?

20. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

as far as i have seen they all have light leaks. Every single 3g I have seen has it on the left side. i have gone through 5 of them trying to get one that has no defects and i give up. only 2 of them had real problems. the other 3 had only light leaks.

i am on my 5th and have inspected 6 others. they ALL had light leaks. It is an apple fail. other than the light leaks my current iphone works great. I love it!

If your iphone has a light leak and no other problems, keep it. Now if you have body cracks, lint under screen or camera glass, or a faulty headphone jack: then you should take it back

and if you have a dead pixel and you want to take it back, tell them it is for the light leak. because the apple store WILL NOT exchange an iphone 3g for dead pixels.

21. daisuke07 macrumors regular

omg i just thought it was the silver thing around the phone just shining

22. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I replaced mine after a few months when it bothered me enough. Glad I did it.

It was an easy process and I needed to stop by the Apple Store anyway to get a replacement power plug due to the recall.

Note: Seriously, Apple needs to do something about quality control.

23. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Come on!

I've been browsing this site for a while and decided to get involved. "Light Leaks"? I'd never even heard of the thing until now. I have a iPhone2G and have never noticed it, nor would I care if I had.

24. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I am at best buy about to exchange this light leaking phone for another. They brought up 3 of them for me to check out so I get the right one. Relief....

25. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems