How many of you only use a MBP for your computing needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rm.237, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

15" June 09 unibody. Various simulations and running scripts on data sets.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Type: November '09 13" MBP.

Use: Posting here.

4. wakemac macrumors member

Type: Current 13" MBP as seen below.

Uses: Primary computer for work and home. Forced to run VM for work to run old Windows programs. Use 24" external also at work for dual screens.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

15" MBP mid 2009. Bought it three weeks ago.

I use it mostly for internet, syncing iPods/iPhones, watching TV shows and movies in iTunes.

I sold my Mac Pro, iMac, 13" MBP and black MacBook and the 15" is my only Mac now and my main computer (still have a HP laptop for backup).

6. alexh123drum macrumors member

Current 13" MBP (spec in my signature) I'm a music and new media student so I use it for office, Photoshop, Premier Pro, Aperture, Logic express and other standard stuff (itunes, ical etc.)

7. Waldszenen macrumors member

I don't own one yet (still waiting for the update) but as soon as I do it'll be my only computer as I'm replacing my current crapbox of a desktop. I'm looking to get one of the upper-model 15" ones.

8. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I have a 2007 MBP that I use for everything I do. I have to use VMWare Fusion to use my Windows based Medical software at work but use MacOSX for everything else. Everything else is mostly email and web browsing.

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Late 06 MBP. Used for general surfing, bit of c programming, music listening, bit of cad and games (boot camp). I love this computer, it runs like a champ!

10. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

My 13" is my primary workstation, it's not the only machine I use for everything but it's my main machine for most of the stuff I do.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

15 inch mbp early 2008 high.

used for : everything in my life that can be done digitally. Except host storage. I have a separate box for that.

12. Rm.237 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone dabble in Final Cut on their MBP? I ended up getting a 15-inch 2.8GHz just a little over a week ago mainly for Aperture but was thinking of getting into using Final Cut Studio. Suggestions?

13. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Both of the Mac laptops described in my sig have been my primary home computer. I used the PB G4 for 5 years and have been using the MBP for the past 2. I still have an old desktop PC, which I used for a few Windows apps, primarily Quicken to track my finances. When I got the MBP, I also bought VMware Fusion and installed Windows on my MBP. Thus, for the past 2 years the desktop PC hasn't had much use. I still own the G4 and keep it in my kitchen eating area. It still works well.

14. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

MBP late 2007 (2.2GHz)
    Used for: Logic, Aperture, School stuff, music, gaming under bootcamp.

15. Rm.237 thread starter macrumors 6502

You planning on getting an iPad? I just ask because aside from syncing your IPhone/iPod the other tasks can be done on one.

16. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Probably not. I already have the MBP with a bigger screen and three iPhones. The iPad is kind of worthless to me. As for portability, I don't need to take a computer with me much and I hardly ever use my iPhone when I am out except for phone usage. The battery on my 15" hasn't been used once yet in the three weeks I have owned it. The 13" that I sold had 11 cycles on it in the five months that I owned it and those were just to make sure the battery stayed healthy.

Besides, the iPad is missing a light up keyboard.

17. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I use a 17" unibody MBP for everything I do. I got it do do some onsite editing/DVD authoring but assumed I'd still do the bulk on my G5 (2005 PPC) - I now do ALL the work on my mbp, I'll send some compressions to my G5 cause it's a workhorse, but my MBP is in use 9-12 hours a day now.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Nope, my laptops never replaced my desktop lol :D

I can never find one with a good enough screen >>

19. clindner macrumors regular

MBP? Heck, I use a 2007 Santa Rosa MB 2.2 GHz as my do it all machine.

4 GB RAM and a 320 GB HD, has my whole iTunes and Photo collections. I make DVDs compiled from game footage from my son's football (American) games and make copies for the team's parents. I do websites using Rapidweaver, Coda and other tools as a sideline biz/hobby. I do work stuff with Parallels and Windows XP so that I can run Microsoft Office with full VBA capability. I log into our work network using Remote Desktop and have sessions running on multiple machines.

Having used all sorts of Windows machines, I laugh when see people say that the MBPs are outdated and can't do this or that.

20. alskdj macrumors member

17" uMBP w/ Intel SSD. I play DOS games via DOSBOX on it lol.

21. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I use it only for fun and internet. Nothing drastic just yet as i am new to OSX. After owning 7 PCs with Windows,Linux,Unix.....i figured it was time for a change. So far i am loving it.

22. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I and most of everyone here only use it to post on these redundant threads that ask the exact same thing every week or so...

23. frank.deale macrumors regular

15 in MacBook Pro, 5,1 March 2009. It is my primary home computer.

24. blazezaku macrumors newbie

25. seanconn macrumors member

everything. what possible can a desktop do that my MBP can't? except maybe do it faster. ... my mbp can cook eggs on my lap when I wake up.. my tower can do that :p ;)

not only do I use my MBP as my main comp, I use it as my Xbox 360. ( I refuse to buy an Xbox due having to pay for live... all the extra accessories and of course RRODS) Only Xbox 360 exclusives I can't play are Crackdown series, Halo 3, GOW2, and Fable 2. (but Halo2, GOW, and Fable are good enough, considering the only one I ever play is Halo)

I'm a PS3, Apple fanboy ... as much as I hate to call myself a fanboy... actually, it's more me hating micro$*%# !!