Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phudq90

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
Anyone here using Marvericks on 4GB DDRAM2 ?
Does it smooth?
I'm running on my Early 2009 White MB with 2GB DDR2 and going to upgrade to 4GB of RAM.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Does it smooth?
I'm running on my Early 2009 White MB with 2GB DDR2 and going to upgrade to 4GB of RAM.

It runs on 2GB, but it can be pretty pokey. With 4GB you'd be fine. I have it running on a couple '07-'08 (2.0GHz, 2.66GHz) iMac's with 4GB DDR2, one with an SSD, one stock. Runs great. You'll be fine :)

I wish they made a Black MacBook in the '09 flavor so I could run Mavericks. Or a true 64bit X3100 driver. But hey. Snow Leopard is rock solid. :cool:

Alkaid

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2013
Still running a 2007 Macbook (before they moved to the Unibody line) on 10.7.5 with 4GB, 750HD. It's slowly in the process of eventually dying and I'll try to move to something I can still upgrade but it's served me well all these years.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Using my Late-2006 white MacBook

2GHz C2D
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
10.7.5 Lion
My main machine, use it for Illustrator, browsing, Spotify, Netflix, what have you. Near-zero graphics power, but still great for everything else. The battery puffed up last year, so I have a new one, which lasts 3-5 hours, depending on use.

Jkj12

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
The seven seas
Still using my Black early 2008 C2D as my main machine. 4gb ram and Samsung evo 840 ssd. Using it every day. Only problem is that it could use a new battery.

Thinking about swapping a mid 2009 logic board in it and be able to run 8gb ram and maverics. Should be possible with a little work. :rolleyes:

Aperturexs

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
In Reply to Thread Starter

My main portable machine is a Black Macbook Mid-2007 that I purchased in early September of 2013. The MacBook is really great, and I am very happy to use it. However I am annoyed by it's integrated graphics, and its 4GB RAM limit. I play some minor games, so my MacBook is an awful machine for gaming and I often have to play a game on my iMac 20" Late-2006, since that has a dedicated graphics card in it (Radeon x1600 256MB). While the iMac has the RAM limit as well, along with the EXACT same processor (T7400), my MacBook always pales in comparison when it comes to performance. However I am also a little mad that both machines cannot run higher than Lion, which both of them are currently running. The MacBook has been showing signs of a bad backlight inverter, so it is only a matter of time before I will have to replace it. I will probably end up selling it soon and buying a used MacBook Pro from 2008-ish. However I still think these area highly capable machines and I am very happy to own one!

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Don't have it personally anymore as I gave it to my dad, but he's running the very first Macbook with the core duo as his main machine.

Upgraded the RAM to 2gb and chopped 60gb hard drive for a 250gb, it's running Snow Leopard and still seems lightning fast compared to some new computers. :D

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
Does it smooth?

My white Macbook is from 2010, I have not upgraded it yet, Maverick run smooth on this machine. :p

Dogon

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
Still my only computer is my late '07 white macbook 3,1; bought new early '08, upgraded to 2gb then 4gb. Superdrive failed long ago of course, but everything else was fine till the past year and a half replaced the battery and the failing HD with a 240 gb SSD, now dual booting windows 7 for some old games. It's very fast with the SSD and Snow Leopard, but physically worn down. Carrying it to work every day is taking a toll, so buying a refurb macbook air (sad that they prevent you from replacing components now, but happy it'll be so light), and this will become a desktop with external keyboard for working at home.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Using my Late-2006 white MacBook

2GHz C2D
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
10.7.5 Lion
My main machine, use it for Illustrator, browsing, Spotify, Netflix, what have you. Near-zero graphics power, but still great for everything else. The battery puffed up last year, so I have a new one, which lasts 3-5 hours, depending on use.
Yeah, those older intel graphics are barely adequate for anything more than just displaying an imagine on the screen. It wasn't until the first gen core i series that intel graphics we halfway decent and they've been getting better since.

----------

Still my only computer is my late '07 white macbook 3,1; bought new early '08, upgraded to 2gb then 4gb. Superdrive failed long ago of course, but everything else was fine till the past year and a half replaced the battery and the failing HD with a 240 gb SSD, now dual booting windows 7 for some old games. It's very fast with the SSD and Snow Leopard, but physically worn down. Carrying it to work every day is taking a toll, so buying a refurb macbook air (sad that they prevent you from replacing components now, but happy it'll be so light), and this will become a desktop with external keyboard for working at home.
Sounds like a good plan. What do you use it for?

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
I've got an 08 BlackBook coming at the end of the week.

Don't really need it, but its cheap, so why not.

I'm thinking about transplanting a 09 macbook logic board into it, for fun mainly. Has anyone here done this?

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Just added 4gb of ram and SSD to my wife's MacBook 4,1 for about 150 total...

Fast as heck now and more than enough for email, web and photos

Bought us more time to wait on an air upgrade

Though I do need a battery since hers is bloated and can affect track pad click

OKERO

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Plantation, Florida
Just recently purchased a Macbook 2,1 for $100 last Friday. Came with
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB of 667MHz of DDR2
160GB hard drive.
10.4.x

So far in my almost one week of owning it I've ordered a 4GB ram kit from Amazon and a 320GB I pulled out of my PS3 when I did a SSD upgrade. For my first Apple Macbook this nice. Very enjoyable experience. I just wish I could upgrade to OS X 10.8 or 10.9 but apparently Apple won't allow it through the DMG? [Or so I've read]

Rolly1988

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
I'm still using a mid 2007 white MacBook (2,1), it's running Snow Leopard and it's doing the job.

2.16GHz C2D
2GB 667MHZ DDR2
320GB HDD

Also, OKERO, I'm pretty sure the max your machine, like mine, can use is 2GB. I may be wrong but it won't recognise more than this? Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

OKERO

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Plantation, Florida
I'm still using a mid 2007 white MacBook (2,1), it's running Snow Leopard and it's doing the job.

2.16GHz C2D

2GB 667MHZ DDR2

320GB HDD

Also, OKERO, I'm pretty sure the max your machine, like mine, can use is 2GB. I may be wrong but it won't recognise more than this? Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I have 4 GB installed but only 3GB useable.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Got my 2008 BlackBook today, runs pretty well actually. Running a really dirty, old copy of Lion, so i'll put something new on it when i get home. No SSD or anything and i'm surprised at how its running. The screen isn't great though.

Might stick mavericks on it for fun, not sure yet.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Got my 2008 BlackBook today, runs pretty well actually. Running a really dirty, old copy of Lion, so i'll put something new on it when i get home. No SSD or anything and i'm surprised at how its running. The screen isn't great though.

Might stick mavericks on it for fun, not sure yet.

Typing this on my '08 BlackBook right now :D
After lots of switching back and forth between Lion and Snow Leopard as well as spare HDDs, I have decided to stick with Snow Leopard for the remainder of this MacBooks life. It is miles faster than Lion in my usage from startup to shutdown. This being on a HDD mind you. With an SSD I'm sure it would help.

It also tends to run cooler, mostly because the GPU doesn't have to work as hard, and we all know how horrible the Intel GMA is on these guys :p

Of course, you will run into apps that won't work on it anymore, but I've been happy with Office 2011, iWork '09, Adobe CS5, Google Chrome, Firefox, Virtualbox, and a few others. There also aren't any more security updates.

The sad part is the '08 models won't run Mavericks, or ML, or Yosemite, or anything else past Lion due to the Intel GMA support being dropped. So it's SL or Lion at this point.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Typing this on my '08 BlackBook right now :D
After lots of switching back and forth between Lion and Snow Leopard as well as spare HDDs, I have decided to stick with Snow Leopard for the remainder of this MacBooks life. It is miles faster than Lion in my usage from startup to shutdown. This being on a HDD mind you. With an SSD I'm sure it would help.

It also tends to run cooler, mostly because the GPU doesn't have to work as hard, and we all know how horrible the Intel GMA is on these guys :p

Of course, you will run into apps that won't work on it anymore, but I've been happy with Office 2011, iWork '09, Adobe CS5, Google Chrome, Firefox, Virtualbox, and a few others. There also aren't any more security updates.

The sad part is the '08 models won't run Mavericks, or ML, or Yosemite, or anything else past Lion due to the Intel GMA support being dropped. So it's SL or Lion at this point.

Yeah i'll probably SL it when i get home.

You can do Maverick/ML but its a hack and a little bit fiddly, might be fun for an evening though. Im literally just going to be using this to browse the web, and watching stuff out of my iTunes via Home Sharing.

hmmm...

lazydesi

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2006
Gr8 Adelaide
Macbook mid 2010

Using 2010 white MB from last three years, i brought this for 450$.

I plan to use this for next 2-3 years depends on OsX upgradability.

This is my main and only computer, been serving very well. I upgraded the ram & installed SSD.

I remember when these first came out, I bought a 15" MacBook Pro that year, I think it was 2ghz. I broke it near the end of it's one year of Apple Care and Apple was taking too long to send the part to the authorized repair service, ...so :apple: offered me this option in '07, "We can send you a new 15" MBP, but with the new LED screens, there's a two week wait, OR, we could send you a 2.4ghz 17" MBP right now".

So I had a brand new 17" MBP with another years warranty, ....sold that a week before the warranty was up (worried about the Nvidia chip problem) and got a great iMac.

Sold that in '10, moved to the US from Canada and had a '10 21" iMac to use, and a new girlfriend. We split up last July and I came back to Canada, I'm stayin with my brother and his fiancée until I get back on my feet (almost there), ...so he gave me this old '06, 1.87ghz Macbook to use as a loner while I'm here, I'm running 10.6.8.

I use it for Photoshop CS3, two versions of iMovie (HD 6 and 8), Audacity/Mbox 2 mini for recording music (my own) and I can't believe how much I can actually get done with this thing.

These old beaters are far from useless, even now, 8 years after they came out. Oh, there's a place here in the GTA you can get batteries for around $40, soooo... yeah, it kinda' sucks to have gone from Mountain Lion and Nvidia graphics and 16 gigs of RAM that I was using down in North Carolina, ....funny though, I only ever surfed and played Borderlands II on that iMac.

Sure, it will be nice to get a '11 or '12 27" iMac, ...which is my plan, ...when I have the scratch. But, I'm keeping this old boy until it dies. Who knows, it may outlive me?

Oh, I made this video (iMovie 6 HD and iMovie 8) last week, and wrote and recorded ...well, more like mixed from some old orphaned WAV files from guitar and bass tracks I'd recorded in '01, ...I did record the vocals with the tiny l'il pinhole mic on the Macbook. All in all, it took three hours, ...from scratch.

http://youtu.be/dgDpEeiJ7ew

Don't tell me these are useless, I won't believe you.

:D

PS: ignore that stuff down there:

Macbook 1.1
1.87 ghz Core Duo
2 gigs RAM
120g HD
Camera's broken, so's the CD drive, ...like I care ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.