How many steps are there in getting over the loss of an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's been almost two months since my iPhone 4 started to die. I accidentally dropped it while pumping gas on my way to work. I had a silicone cover on it and didn't see any cracks or anything. But later in the day, the screen started to not come back on when I hit the lock or home button. I did figure out that if I hit the lock button in a hard enough way, it would work for a while. But then it went for three days without working.

Once I got my phone back to seemingly working, I planned on sending it in to get $250 trade credit from Verizon so I could switch. But then as it kept working normally, I figured I would keep it as long as I could instead of using my mom's iPhone 3GS that she was going to let me use for a month.

Oops.

It's been about three weeks since my phone last worked. The problem is the LED lighting is FUBARed. If you hold the phone at the right angle, you can see the icons on the screen very faintly, almost like an original Game Boy with the brightness way down. I could place and receive calls using voice dial and swiping where i knew I needed to when receiving. But now the lock button pretty much can't be pushed.

So I'm resolved to using an iPhone 3GS that works, although the battery life is laughable. I could possibly get $40 by trading it in somewhere, but that won't help much when breaking my contract is $180. Add in at least another $200 for the next model phone and that's too rich for my blood.

I assume there are others out there who have bricked an iPhone somehow. My Dad left an old Razr in his pants once to kill it. I warned him not to do such things when I got him an iPhone due to the "it won't be cheap to replace this one" factor. Has everybody else just slummed it with an older phone like me, or have you found some magical way to acquire a new phone? I wouldn't mind spending $100 on a new iPhone 4 if it didn't involve lengthening my blood contract with AT&T.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's kinda sad how you need someone to help you get over the fact that your iPhone died.

4. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It's just a phone it can be replaced. I'm not sure if you have lost a family member before but that is difficult to get over. It's not the end of the world :)

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you would have lived in New Jersey this would have never happened to you. Nobody pumps their own gas here :)

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

7. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

6 steps

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance
    Recovery

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Yeah and the "attendants" are so good at their jobs I end up pumping it myself half the time.

9. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Step 1: cry yourself to sleep for a week
    Step 2: Come to grips with the fact your iPhones forever gone

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Take it to the Apple store and maybe they'll replace it for free. They do sometimes if you are just honest with them.

11. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I may consider that after my lucky encounter a week or so ago. Apparently my computer was out of warranty even though I bought it less than a year ago. Apple's warranty is from the date it sold it to someone else, be that you or Best Buy. Apparently my iMac sat in Best Buy's back room for about six weeks. Thankfully the Apple folks replaced my bad optical drive even though it was 19 days out of warranty. They even replaced my LCD screen because they found something wrong with it on the inside.

So maybe my luck is running good. I just really don't want to waste about an hour going to the store and being told nothing can be done. I know I can get $42 from Target in its current state.

I guess I should've mentioned the heavy sarcasm in my post title. But the situation still sucks considering my plan to switch to Verizon. If I were staying with AT&T I could probably wiggle an upgrade out of them. But I've had enough of the "good luck!" signal strength around here. Seeing the commercials bragging about speed and crap doesn't help. Neither does charging $150 for a box to fix AT&T's crappy coverage in my house.

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

They have some pretty good prices on eBay for iPhone 3GS.. if you're willing to downgrade to one..

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

If there's no visual damage I'd say chances are 100% they will replace it. They're not going to upen up the phone and test all the internal parts with multimeters :confused: .