How many texts per day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mactastic, Apr 26, 2010.

?

How many texts do you send on an average day?

1. None - I object to texting.

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. None - No plan.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Less than one per day.

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. 1 - 10 per day.

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. 11 - 20 per day.

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. 20 - 50 per day

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. 51+ per day.

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It depends on what I'm doing that day. But overall, I'm not a heavy texter. I voted for 1-10 a day.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I voted 1-10, but I'd not be shocked if my average came out to be less than 1 a day. BBIM, however... that's another story. ;)

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

at LEAST 70-80 per day monday through friday and just 10 each saturday and sunday. When the bill comes it's at roughly 3000 just for me + no more than 100 for the other 4 people on the plan.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

I text a lot more than I call, so I went for 20-50. But definitely nearer 20 than 50.

8. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Math says you send 98.65/day avg per 30.41 days in a month.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I probably send about 10 per month. I hate sending them as most of my texts require about 20 minutes, as they are normally rather long then need proofreading and editing for grammar, punctuation and spelling. I just don't see the point when a phone call can relay the same information in less than a minute. I could see texting more often with an iPhone as you have a full onscreen keyboard with quicker access to punctuation marks, letter case and numbers.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I used to do that. Then I started getting texted, I thought well, let's add a plan so I don't get charged extra.

Got the 200/month. All of a sudden I found myself texting now and then for small things that could well been said in less than a minute.

Now, I text a lot.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

More than I care to admit. I blame the other half....but I am now on an unlimited text plan just to be safe. I'm guessing 20-50 per day on average. Up until recently I was easily less then 10 a day.

14. ethical macrumors 68000

I do prefer calling someone, especially if I need a response straight away or need to be certain they get the message, but for some things texting is much more convenient. Like the other day, I was told a funny joke so I text it to my buddy back home. I didn't have time to get into a conversation with him, but the joke was one he would like.

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

So far this month I am averaging 54 a day so I voted 50+. However some days I'll send maybe 5-10 texts whereas on occasion I can send over 100 texts easily.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Can easily go to 12,000 a month...So around 400 a day?

17. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Fail IMO. You don't need to do any of what you have said with texting it is all short abbrv. :)

All I can say is my plan is Unlimited :cool:

18. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

I send on average around 500 during the week while at school. The weekends it depends on what I do and if Im hanging out with people trying to make plans. BBM is also a major player. And yes I do talk on the phone as well about 250 minutes a month. Lloyd

19. ethical macrumors 68000

Assuming you're available to text for 16 hours of every day (the remaining 8 being used up with sleep, getting up, showering etc), you send a text message roughly every 2.5 minutes?!? How do you find the time to do anything (constructive)?

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good lord, some of you people are prolific communicators!

The reason I'm curious is because I've just upgraded our family plan to the "unlimited" tier due mainly to my wife's texting, but also my own increases. Before I got my iPhone, my texting was limited to once or twice a month because of the extreme difficulty of texting on an 12-key setup. When we got iPhones, we both opted for the 200/month level just so we wouldn't get charged for the texts our friends were sending us. But then something happened.

We discovered that texting is far superior over voice conversations when you want to talk to other parents with small children. See, when you have kids, the peace and quiet necessary for a phone conversation is in extremely short supply. When most of your friends have kids too, conversations about life and how you're doing and all that become nearly impossible. Not so with texting. I can text over the din of children yelling and/or playing the recorder at high volume. I can resume a text conversation anytime I have a spare 30 seconds. It may take a day or more to have a conversation with a friend, but that's better that the way it used to be, which was rarely talking at all.

I also like the fact that, like an email, texting doesn't necessarily demand an immediate answer. Obviously there are situations where you damn well better answer your SOs text, but outside of that kind of situation, you get back to the text when you can. No pressure to do it RIGHT THIS SECOND!!! like there is with a phone call.

I also long considered it far to informal for work-related communications, but I've been able to retrieve text conversations to "refresh" someone's memory in the same way I use email when someone tries to play dumb about something. It's a handy way to get something in writing, so to speak, with people who don't have ready access to email during the work day. I've since re-evaluated my stance on texting for work. Obviously you don't abbvt evREthng when using it professionally, but ultimately it's just another form of written communication.

Anyway, I'm probably somewhere on the cusp of the 20/day level. Most days it's really minimal, but the averages get pushed up on days where there is a conversation to be had. My median average day would be pretty low, I suspect. But the levels have been steadily growing each month since I got the iPhone...

21. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Edit: I voted 11-20. I get 500 a month on my contract and they usually all go.

What else do you do with your life?

Group texts maybe?

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, okay. I exaggerated a little probably. It's probably around 10,000 a month.

And I'm usually texting somebody as soon as I get up, while doing something. Then, I have school. And once I leave school, I text people again. Most of the time, it's 2-3 people at the same time (Not a group text, just in a conversation with 3 different people). I'm also texting while I do homework (Which isn't really that distracting). And even if I'm on the phone, somebody else is texting me, and I usually respond to them while on the phone. (Easy to put on speakerphone and do it).

EDIT: In the duration of me typing this reply, I received two texts.

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

I voted the 51+

I send A LOT of texts throughout one day.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Very few. I get 150 free per month and I don't think I've ever exceeded 50. Some of my friends send thousands per month! :eek:

As you can see, I'm definitely not a heavy user:

Attached Files: