How Many Time Have You Swapped iPhone To Get A 'Good' One?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G.McGilli, Apr 17, 2016.

?

Have you ever swapped out your iPhone with Apple hoping to get a 'better' one?

1. Never

73.6%
  2. 1 time

11.6%
  3. 2 times

7.0%
  4. 3 times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4 times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5+ times

7.8%
  1. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Some people are more critical than others regarding things like yellow screen, buttons, TSMC/Samsung CPU etc.

Have you ever swapped out your iPhone in hopes you would get a 'better' one? How many times did it take?

PS - what happens to phones that get returned, for example the phone is perfect - but the owner doesn't want a Samsung CPU? Are they sold later as refurbished?

2. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Nope. As long as my phone functions properly then I'm good. All this swapping out a phone b/c you want a different processor or b/c your mind is playing tricks on you...making you think the phone is slower, or has less battery or bending, is a bit much.

The TSMC/Samsung thing is crazy. You have people on here, claiming to have swapped out their phone 4 or 5 times just to get certain chip. That's a bit much. Tbh, if somebody came to my store and tried that...I wouldn't do it. I'm not gonna go through 4 or 5 phone returns b/c somebody is overly paranoid that their phone is 0.0000000006 seconds slower and/or will have 2% less battery or something

3. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Son and I had iPhone 3GS, we swapped them out for the 4s because it was more good. Then few years later we swapped them out for 5s. Then we got a bit ridiculous and swapped out for 6 Plus and a year later 6s Plus. So far that is the only swapping we have had to do. The first one of each type was perfect in every way.

So that's ten phones that were good from the start in our experience.

4. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Never. I think most of the people on here that go on about it are absolutely ridiculous. The Apple employees that have the misfortune of dealing with some of these special snowflakes should be sainted.

5. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I have better things to concern myself over spending weeks going over multiple phone returns to fine one that meets NIST standards for size and weight.

6. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I have never returned a phone. Guess I just don't notice the little things that drive some to do so. I still am just marveled these can do what they do so they all just appear perfect to me.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Once from memory and my memory is crap these days. It was an out of the box issue that was swapped before I walked out of the store.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

9. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

If there is something physically wrong with the iPhone then yes I will exchange it for another one.

But that Samsung chip etc thing is going way overboard and those people are too anal about little things.

10. cola79 macrumors regular

I once had to exchange a 4s because of screen issues.

My new se has no problems so far, the power button is loose, but I don't care because during daily use there was no rattle to hear and later I bought a case.

Everything else is without problems. What chip is inside is something I don't care about.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Never had a problem with an iPhone.

I do not spend my day looking for one either.

12. BearBert macrumors member

BearBert

In the past I swapped an iPhone 6 because the earpiece volume was just way too low for my liking. And just yesterday returned an SE cause of Bluetooth issues.

I feel if you have legitimate problems by all means return/exchange away! Especially if you're within the 14 day period.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Every item I've gotten from Apple has been as perfect in my view. I've never had to return or exchange anything.

14. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I've only ever swapped out two iPhones, for battery replacement. Every iPhone I've ever bought has been "perfect" out of the box, or was sold for profit (just one actually)

15. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

never for an iPhone.
    for a macbook air, twice.

16. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Swapping an iPhone that has an actual defect is 100% fine. Swapping in an attempt to get the TSCM chip is downright scummy

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've owned three iPhones, two iPods, and one iPad. Never had to exchange any of them. I suppose if you look hard enough you can find a "flaw" in just about any unit though.

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Never, so far. However, it is easy to claim I am not picky when I have in fact been very fortunate so far.

19. G.McGilli thread starter macrumors regular

When the SE was released - I went in that minoring and bought a 16gb. After a week - I was liking it enough that I thought I (for the first time ever) will pay the extra $ to get a 64gb. So - I went back to the store, and returned the 16gb, and got the 64gb.

Just 2 days ago - I was like - I really like this phone - but why did I buy white? All of my other iPhones, iPods, iPads etc are black. My daughter has a white iPhone 5, and she kept picking mine up :) So I returned the white 64gb - and am waiting for a black one to arrive in a few weeks.

I hate returning products that have no issues, but at the same time, I'm glad Apple has the satisfaction policy.

So for me, the answer is now 2.

20. Corgirat macrumors member

What was wrong with your MacBook Air?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2016 ---
    It's because they make these electronics so expensive. I can understand why people want "perfect" phone because of the price they paid. If the price range was $200-400 like it used to be, then this type of behavior will go away.

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Unless I get an iPhone that has a significantly yellow screen, that would be the only reason that would warrant me swapping the phone out. As long all of the buttons and touch screen work, I'm not going to make a fuss about it.

22. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

The fact this contrasts to so many is bewildering....

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is sad indeed.

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I had a iPhone 4s that wouldn't activate, while my wife had no trouble at all with her 4s. The replacement had the same issue and it turned out to just be AT&T was unable to handle the stress of that launch. I wasn't able to use my phone for 2 days because of it.

They're given a once over and any damaged or defective parts are replaced and then they are used as warranty replacements. As far as I know, Apple doesn't "officially" sell refurbished iPhones.

25. Allin44 macrumors 6502

Never. I don't know anyone who has done this.