How many time you reset the phone until the battery drain is fix?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dragonjinse, Sep 29, 2013.

1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

I reseted my iPhone 5 once to fix the battery drain problem in ios 7 2 weeks ago.
    However, I don't see any improvement.
    I did every single tips/tricks, but still nothing improve.

Should I reset my phone again or just reset the network only?
    How many time you reset the phone until the battery drain is fix?

THanks guys

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Same here. No improvement despite four clean installs and EVERY setting switched off or adjusted. I have given up trying to fix it myself because nobody can. I'm waiting for an Apple update and if it doesn't come soon I'll go to a store for a replacement handset.

3. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Lucky you. I don't have AppleCare for iPhone 5 :(
    And I don't want to pay to fix it anymore.

So frustrated!

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't think the reset has anything to do with battery drain.
    For what I see Siri, background app update, background app refresh and frequent positions are the features hitting the battery life.
    With those setting switched off the situation is slightly better.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

All those settings were adjusted on day one by me, three clean installs ago.

----------

No Applecare here either but if your phone is less than 12 months old Apple will still swap it, even if you bought it via a carrier like I did. You need to book a Genius bar appointment online and then go visit them.

6. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I turn them off already, siri, location service, parallax, app refresh, etc..

Maybe something is wrong with my phone then?
    My sister also has iphone 5 with ios7. And her iphone's battery is better than ios6 (That's what she told me).

Now, i'm confused!

7. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw, how many hours use/standby is normal for iphone 5 with ios7?

Right now, I can only use 6 hours with maybe 10-12 hours standby

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Some people are claiming similar or even better battery life to iOS6.

The iPhone 5 specs for iOS6 are:

Stand-by Up to 225 h (2G) / Up to 225 h (3G)
    Talk time Up to 8 h (2G) / Up to 8 h (3G)
    Music play Up to 40 h
    WiFi continuous web browsing 10h

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I have the same or better battery life.

As I've read these threads over the years - it seems as if some people always seem to have battery problems and some never. I have no idea why or what can be done but there must be some usage/setup difference.

whether is is installation method or some app some use who know.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I typically achieve 1 days usage on my iPhone 5.

Both on iOS6 and now iOS 7.0.2.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So are Apple going to dismiss this battery drain issue because some don't experience it?

12. silver8ack macrumors regular

Iphone plugged in all night. I unplugged it without looking and then noticed it said 99%. Wtf.

I plugged it back in and did a reset. It then stayed at 100% for about 30 mins unplugged. I think the software is effed up regarding the battery percentage still

13. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Nope, since day one after the update the battery is okay :)

14. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Um 6 hr usage may not be too bad actually. Depending on type of usage. You need to look at the specs and do the math to figure out where you are. And there is no "number of resets" to fix it. Only if the failed update or hung app etc will the reset solve anything. Here are your specs:

◾Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
    ◾Standby time: Up to 225 hours
    ◾Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    ◾Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    ◾Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Take your usage types and divide by the specs and you will get a since of where you should be for MAX apple specification. Example using 4s specs:
    (200hr std by on 4s, and 7.5 avg wifi and 3g data mix)

Reported standings:
    6 hr 45 min stby
    1 hr 31 min use
    75% remaining

so based on those figures 6.75/200=.033 or 3% used for stdby, 1.5/7.5 wifi /3g mix = .2 or 20%, so 100%- (3+20)= 76% remaining

In this case the phones reported 75% and the remaining that % based on the math is almost the exact so this user was getting right at the max Apple spec.

15. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok guys,
    I talked with Apple on online chat.
    What I found after running the diagnosis test with Apple is my battery is suffering a hardware failure (That is what Apple told me on the chat).
    I need to get the battery replacement which costs $79 OR get a new phone replacement for $249!!

Goodness! I think I'm going to buy a battery case (less than $30 on ebay) and use this phone for another year until iPhone 6 come out.

:'(

----------

Thank you very much!

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Just note. They only swap if they find a verifiable hardware issue that can't be fixed by a component repair.

Ie.if they find that there is an issue with your battery they will fix the battery. They won't give you a whole new phone.

This is per the terms of service as is that they can insist on testing the device etc and if their tests don't verify an issue they don't have to swap/fix anything.

And more and more folks that come in demanding a swap right off the top are getting told no. There is no cause for it. I suspect some of it is because that attitude often tends to be from resellers etc and Apple is getting tired of getting devices they screwed up and are getting Apple to fix.

Now if they could come up with a system to stop those jackasses from buying tons of phones in the first place.

17. sbailey4, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

If it is less than 1 yr old they will replace battery. Also you can get batteries online from 3rd parties if you want to try. They are pretty cheap and may be worth doing. http://www.digiexpress.us/Replacement-Battery-for-the-iPhone-5_p_405.html
    Also your numbers didn't seem that bad. I would do the math and see where you stand. You very could be within specs and all is normal. I have a 2 yr old 4s and battery still fine. Seems to last as long as it ever did.

18. dragonjinse, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I think my phone maybe 1 year and 3 months old. LOL
    I looked online for the 3rd parties battery.. but I'm afraid its quality might same as the low price though.

Do you think the battery case might be a good idea?
    Of course, I don't want to pay for $79 (not include tax) for a new battery. I could save that money toward the iPhone 6 next year.

19. Altis macrumors 68020

I had the percentage freeze at 20% for about 30 minutes yesterday at the gym. As the music app gradually came to a crawl and crashed, the percentage then jumped to 12%. Then it shut down about 5 minutes later. :confused:

I think the service that operates the percentage may have issues.

OP, I found one single "Reset All Settings" and "Reset Network Settings" helped me massively with my battery (4S). It was crippled after installing iOS 7 fresh, and that fixed the worst of it.

Good thing for these forums. I wonder how many people don't bother to go on them to find the real fixes for their devices?

20. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Yes those two items are know resolutions for a while now. Its recommended after an update to just do the reset all settings (that includes network settings btw) Then go back through and set up the settings as you prefer. Also seems if users will close all applications and reboot the phone before updating OTA it seems to help keep it from getting in the corrupt stage in the first place.

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I restored from back up and I have the same. I though mine was worse, but that was only because it was like a new phone and I was constantly playing with it. Now I'm back to my old habits and it's fine.

23. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

for me the internal battery would be recommended. I am not really a fan of the external case bulk. Also some of those 3rd party batteries mentioned have a warranty as well so I would not think there is anything to loose. There are OEM batteries also available. To me it would be worth the $15 or so to try it if I in fact had an iPhone 5 that had a bad battery. Also keep in mind those external cases are phone specific as well. I personally would not be afraid to try digiexpress but disclaimer: I have never done so, so cant speak from experience. But if $15.99 fixes your device for another year well.......... Again I would run those statistics before doing anything to verify you actually have a problem keeping in mind those are based on max values (up to xxx hrs). For me 12 hr std by and 6hr use would be great but it depends oh how u use your phone. IE if playing music for those 6 hrs and no display lighting up then yeah that's bad since Apple says 40 hrs there.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yes, but what puzzled me is that I didn't change anything .... I just installed iOS 7 and battery life now in 2-3 hours less than before.
    With the same usage pattern ...

Disabling the above mentioned settings allow my iPhone to improve its battery life, but is still a couple of hours less than with iOS 6 and I don't know why.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Usage time is usage time whether you're constantly playing with it or not. I'm glad your battery is ok anyhow.