How Many Times a Month You Reset Your Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emailYasmin, Oct 18, 2009.

1. emailYasmin macrumors member

emailYasmin

Out of curiosity, how many times a month you folks reset your iphone completely to reinstall Apps from scratch?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

What?????

Why on earth would someone do that? Unless you're having JB problems.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

?

I don't even turn my phone off once a month.

6. Ports macrumors regular

Ports

7. msharpmu macrumors regular

I probably reset my phone twice a month. I try not to do a hard reset but I turn it off and then back on after I download some new apps or updates.

8. jjprusk macrumors member

How Many Times a Month You Reset Your Phone?

I never reinstall apps. I do power mine down a few times a month, but only because I get on an airplane and have no choice. Other than that, it stays on 7x24 and I have never powered it down or reset other than upgrades.

9. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Never.

Phone only restarts because of no power, or it crashes

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just learned that doing a hard reset is called an unclean reboot which is like turning your computer off without shutting down. It can lead to corrupt files.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

2 JB phones and it is very rare I am even turning off the phones unless I am jailbreaking or after an SSH session where I have messed with it.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I just reboot to clear the RAM, and that's once every 15-day period. Reset only in the event of a major firmware.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Some of the big app developers (large games and other things over 10 MB) suggest restarting after installing.

It's not superstition. I have noticed the bigger apps crash a lot until you've restarted the phone.

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Never.

I only restart it occasionally, that's about it. I almost never do a hard reset and only restore for updates, but always use my backup. I never restore and start from scratch. What's the point? You'll lose your saved app data.

15. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I assume you mean perform a restore. I tend to think of a reset as holding the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears.

Other then when upgrading to a new firmware, I have only restored my phone once, when having an issue with backups takings hours to complete.

Resetting my iphone is also usually rare (except for during the recent OS "coma" mode debacle).

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I respring quite often. :p I'm a tweaker and I constantly download and remove apps from Cydia so I can try out the latest and the greatest.

I almost never Reboot!

And as far as restoring... Only when new firmware comes out.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

18. cap'njack macrumors member

I can't say I've ever done that. My phone only ever turns off when I've run out of battery and that's probably once a month if that.

19. f00f macrumors 65816

The iPhone isn't a Windows device; there's no need to "re-format & re-install" once (or more times) a month with the hopes and prayers of returning peace and order to the OS! :D

That said, when there's a nasty glitch w/ the iPhone OS (such as w/ the 3.1 "coma bug"), a DFU re-install may be done out of sheer paranoia but by no means is this a necessary monthly procedure.

My phone has been reset more times during the 3.1 shenanigans (5 times total) than it has the rest of its 15-month lifetime.

20. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

I think of my devices as people...they need to rest once in a while

I turn it off at night once a month or so

21. firewood macrumors 604

I have never done a complete clean reinstall except when buying a brand new device to replace an old one.

But, as an SDK developer, a few times a month XCode refuses to connect, to I have to do a clean shutdown and reboot.

I've also had Safari crash a couple times. I usually reboot so that the OS can clean up any mess (orphan processes?) that an app crash, or its cause, could leave behind.

22. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Never.

I have neve deliberately reset my iphone. BUT I have had the strong urge to throw the phone great distances because of ATT's fecal material service here in San Diego.

23. montush macrumors newbie

Never.

On a side note, I really admire Apple for the guts to make a phone without a removable battery.

Every phone I have owned in the past has required a "reset" by removing the battery at some point or the other.

24. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253