Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sat24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
I am on try #2 so far.

1st machine - case creaks where my right palm rests.
2nd machine - excessive screen blur

I am planning to exchange to see if 3rd time's the charm.

I plan to keep exchanging till I get a machine that is worthy of the $4500 (the 'high-end' model they sell in stores - 2.4G/32GB/2TB/5500M w/8GB) I am dropping for this hunk of metal.

Question: Is there a limit to the number of times I can exchange a unit till I am 100% satisfied?

sat24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Could you elaborate? I haven't heard of this as an issue before.

Sure... multiple people have been impacted. Some of them have resigned to the fact that this is a "by design" but I think we are having panels of varying degrees of ghosting ... mine might be on the worse side.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-ghosting.2212842/
(my thread) https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ghosting-on-display-during-scrolling.2213496/
[automerge]1575060328[/automerge]
The only limit is how long it takes them to think you have Munchausen Syndrome by proxy.
Lol. Still I am looking for a number...

sat24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
I don’t think there is a number. At some point they may take one back for a refund and decide not to sell you another one.
I might come to that conclusion first before they do, frankly. Getting tired of setting up a machine only to then erase it and return it. Too much hassle, sadly.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Sure... multiple people have been impacted. Some of them have resigned to the fact that this is a "by design" but I think we are having panels of varying degrees of ghosting ... mine might be on the worse side.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-ghosting.2212842/
(my thread) https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ghosting-on-display-during-scrolling.2213496/

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this is a fixable problem (via firmware, etc.), or just something that some people are more sensitive to than others? In the first thread it appeared that one or more people have compared to several in-store display models and they are all doing the same thing...

By the way, did your second laptop get noticeably worse than the first in terms of the ghosting, or do you think you only noticed it on your second because you spent more time with it?

Oh and one other random question - how did you determine the manufacture date of your two laptops?

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I might come to that conclusion first before they do, frankly. Getting tired of setting up a machine only to then erase it and return it. Too much hassle, sadly.

How about in store pickup so you can inspect before taking delivery?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this is a fixable problem (via firmware, etc.), or just something that some people are more sensitive to than others? In the first thread it appeared that one or more people have compared to several in-store display models and they are all doing the same thing...

By the way, did your second laptop get noticeably worse than the first in terms of the ghosting, or do you think you only noticed it on your second because you spent more time with it?

Oh and one other random question - how did you determine the manufacture date of your two laptops?

The ghosting when scrolling has been documented pretty well by other owners. If it really bothers you might want to pass on this system. And different people find it more or less bothersome.

sat24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
I use coconutBattery app for that.
[automerge]1575159430[/automerge]
I am not sure, but I know I was browsing this forum quite a bit on the 1st laptop as well - I dont think I noticed this issue. The 1st unit had a newer manufacturing date - 2019-11-11, vs. the 2nd one (with the problem) was on 2019-10-14.

Reactions: Ener Ji

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I use coconutBattery app for that.
[automerge]1575159430[/automerge]

I am not sure, but I know I was browsing this forum quite a bit on the 1st laptop as well - I dont think I noticed this issue. The 1st unit had a newer manufacturing date - 2019-11-11, vs. the 2nd one (with the problem) was on 2019-10-14.

That's a bummer. Hope you get something figured out to your satisfaction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.