How many times has your MagSafe saved your laptop?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ikermalli, May 28, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

Today I was going to go say bye to my mom because she was leaving. I got up from my chair and tried stepping over the cord, but no, my size 13 feet wouldn't let that happen, so my foot snagged the cord, i yelled "NOOO!" then noticed my magsafe had pulled out of the port, and was laying on the ground, my MacBook unharmed. I was so relieved, so now I want to hear your stories.

Thank you :apple:

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't really have any stories per say, but it saves my laptop several times a month. I leave my laptop on the coffee table at night and we have two cats that like to run around the apartment in the middle of the night. Every once and awhile I'll come out in the morning to find the cord unplugged and laying on the floor. I used to always leave my last laptop in a place or position where they wouldn't be able to do that, but with magsafe I just never worry about it anymore.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

MagSafe took a bullet for me during the war. I had to carry him three miles on a shot up leg. We made it to the DZ, but I lost my leg and MagSafe… MagSafe didn't make it.

It's hard to get up, sometimes. But I do it anyways. I do it for MagSafe. I have to live my life, for both of us.

4. holidaypf macrumors member

I keep the MacBook on the coffee table and three times in the past two months I've snagged the cord with a foot while getting up from the couch. I think I am a little bit more careless though knowing I have that safety feature.

I did this a few times in years past with the old PowerBook too. I always managed to keep from swinging through to total disaster though. The whole contraption got jerked pretty hard though as I recall.

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

2-3 times a week
    my dog sometimes sleeps next to the adapter and has a tendency to get her head caught on the cord when she gets up.

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

MacRumors needs a like button under posts. But anyways, that was really funny

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, okay, fine poke fun at me. I changed the thread title now. That was a good one though :p

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Never. None of my laptops are ever in a position to break by tripping over the powercord. Mostly because the laptops are kept on the desk and the cable behind it.

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

OKie dokie Mr. Perfect.

10. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

All I have to say is "Two Small Kids." I can't even count the number of times, I just close my eyes and say Thank You ;)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No it's just valuing my electronics. I paid £900 for my MacBook so I'm not going to trail a powercord where people are going to step on it, it's common sense.

12. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

At least twice. I still remember the first time. I just got my mbp a few days ago. Explained how cool the new laptop was to the family. "look this is a magsafe" and only minutes after that my mother in law (accidently?) tested it.

I was sooo happy it didn't happen to the powerbook.

13. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I paid a similar price for my MacBook, I am very careful about where the cable goes but I too have got two small kids and things happen in my house that I have little control over! e.g. they jump on you when sitting on the sofa using the Mac.

While I'm not sure if Magsafe has catagorically stopped any damage, I think it's been very useful.

14. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

its saved my macbook about 900 times. excellent feature. :)

15. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Mine has saved me twice from it falling from my desk and work bench.

This benches are waist height if your standing up.

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

It saved me once. I was getting ready to leave work so I had to spend the 20 seconds wrapping up the cord around those cumbersome cord brackets on the adapter. I then left work, and a few cars ahead of me two people merged into the same lane and got in an accident. Had it not been for the annoying cord wrapping thingies, it could have been me. And I guess my laptop was also saved from the carnage.

But seriously Apple, could you make the cord brackets a little bigger, the cord is too bulky to fit perfectly on them without spending an hour wrapping it.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Most of my laptops worth a damn have docking stations.

Edit: And for situations which might require Magsafe on the move, most of my laptops worth a damn have actually adequate runtime.

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Zilch.

But I've never had a seatbelt save my life, either.

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Five minutes ago. Laptop on bed, 4-year old darling daughter watching video while I get ready to go out.

See it coming?

Turned around to get something from kitchen. Whoops, tripped over cord. MagSafe comes out, and daughter doesn't even notice something's happened.

And if you thought it was about 4-year old darling daugher breaking laptop, you'd be wrong. She knows one small mistake and it's no more Disney or Pixar videos for her. Treats the laptop like gold :D

Like the posters above am glad she wasn't watching it on my old powerbook which she usually uses.

MagSafe is one of these things that make my PC friends go 'Oooh coool...'

20. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I'v never had Magsafe but my PB's power cord has flown out just like magsafe when someone trips over the cord.

21. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I've had a few times where my MacBook would have likely gone crashing down had it not been for the MagSafe connector. However, earlier today I almost took down my MacBook when a book fell, pulling on the ethernet cable which was also attached. Now all I need is a MagSafe ethernet connector and I'd be set.

And, no, wireless wasn't an option at the time since I was connected to a specific, secure network at work which has no wireless access.

22. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I remember when it came out being piiissed that I'd missed out on that 'cause I was so clumsy (still am, but not as bad). There've been a few 'incidents' with my iBook but so far the cable's either just come out itself, or the iBook's just missed falling off something

23. Rich3303 macrumors newbie

Many times. I went through several of the old style chargers, those things would bend like butter.

24. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

25. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Fixed if for you.

Well MagSafe hasn't done it but the PB PSU has.

Came nowhere near my PB but sparked on carpet and smoked.