How many times have you had your logic board replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Mar 14, 2010.

?

Logic Board Replacements

1. 0

46 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. 1

26 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. 2

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. 3+

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I'm just curious to see how many people here have even had it replaced at least once.

2. thirdykal macrumors member

I've only had mine replaced on my Macbook once because of a busted Ethernet port and an unfixable red light issue. The Ethernet port is busted once again, so it would need replacing, except that Apple is replacing my Macbook with a Macbook Pro.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

lol wth. is apple tryn to get rid of their mbp? every 1 is just upgrading....

4. Azrael169 macrumors newbie

had a 1.5ghz powerbook and a 2008 MBP... Both had the logicboard replaced at about 2 years into product life. Both were out of "warranty" without applecare, but due to design defect (which is kinda scary when i've had 2 macs and both had design probs) warranty on the logic boards was extended to 3 years.

5. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Just the one time when my 8600 GT graphics went wrong. No doubt it will go wrong again given the history of the chip so that may go up....

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since I found this post on the main page I did not notice that the poll was in the Macbook section.

So as far as any Apple Logic Board being replaced I have never needed it done. Though I replaced my IIvx Logic Board with a Centris 650 in 1994 for the speed boost:D.

But I did need a Gigabyte Mother Board replaced once on one of the computers I built while the board was still under warranty.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Late 2008 unibody had a logic board replacement due to a failed RAM slot.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The logic board on my early 2006 MBP was replaced when the built in isight stopped working.

9. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

Early 2006 MBP:

once backlight inverter
    once broken ethernet
    twice graphics card (second resulted in replacement MBP)

Late 2008 Unibody MBP:
    never, though it might get it's first two years in for an intermittent graphics issue

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

None,
    I've been a Mac laptop user since the G3 iBook days and I've (knocks on wood) never had a logic board go on me. Still, I buy applecare just in case something happens ;)

11. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i have to bring in my early 2009 uMBP to have the logicboard replaced for the 2nd time.
    the first time, my USB drives would keep disconnecting whatever was plugged into them, and the sound kept going out.

this time, the computer kept freezing completely, and sometimes giving me the pinwheel forever.

all within the same year of owning it, i'm glad apple's cooperative.
    how expensive would a logic board replacement cost if not under warranty?
    it says that the part itself is 1,000 dollars on the paperwork, but someone on here said it was a "500 dollar complete repair"
    so now i don't know what to think.

12. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

every time I've gotten paperwork back, the "cost" has been around $1200.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

1.25 GHz PBG4... fell prey to the infamous RAM slot failure. Replaced it, good to go!

14. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

On my MBP, I have had the LB replaced once for the 8600GT failure.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I answered zero since this is in the MBP forum, however I once had my iBook's board replaced due to the Radeon 7500 failure.

16. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Last month, I had to have the logic board on my 2 year old 17 inch 2.4Ghz Santa Rosa MBP replaced. One of the memory module slots died, although the other was still working. Fortunately, though, I have AppleCare, which covered the costs of repair. Thank God! :)

I have had a Powerbook G4 for 7 years. Although that model has been notorious for its logic board failures, mine is still going strong. Thus, I was a little puzzled when my MBP's logic board gave up the ghost. Based on the responses to the poll, though, it appears that the MBP's track record is none to good, either.

17. nouveaunano macrumors newbie

3 times so far:

#1: checked in for superdrive problem, some how they replace not only my drive but the screen and logicboard. Still cover under warranty so I dont really care. Took 5 days though.

#2: the 8600 problem, cannot pass the gray booting screen. Out of warranty but covered under the 8600 two years thing. Got it back in less than 48 hours.

#3: the stupid magsafe pin stucked and fried both the left I/o and the logicboard. Apple guy quote $1000+ for replacement or I can try my luck with the $300 flat fix but he didn't recommend it due to some hint of liquid damage. Sent it to powerbookmedict to get fix, outed $500 and took almost a month.

18. soms macrumors 6502

soms