Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Funnily enough i'm readng through them all at the moment. I'm on Life, The Universe and Everything at the minute. Have read them all numerous time. Great books and great author.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I've read the first four books many, many times - probably at least once a year for the last 15 years or so.

For some reason, I never really got on with 'Mostly Harmless'. I read it a couple of times a while back, but never enjoyed it. Perhaps I should revisit it.

Aug 6, 2007
But you can not compare the book with the movie. The book is MUCH better.

That's a comparison :p

I haven't read the book or seen the movie.

I might go and buy the book now actually, I've wanted to read it for a while.

asrmatt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Rome, Italy
once. But counting on reading it again soon.
And liked the movie too (I've seen it a couple of time)

For those who ask... the answer is YES, definitely worth reading!

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
I read it once when I was about 13-15 and I loved it. I really need to read it again, I could probably understand it so much better now.

It's why I am #42 in Hockey and any other sports :)

hewcardpacklet

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Montreal Canada
Read it twice, and heard a few radio plays of it... and my 5 year old son is a big fan of the movie on dvd, which I saw in theaters. I was the only one chuckling and getting the jokes, some people leaving the theater...

Never read the other books, though... should I?

R34

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
never read the book, but saw the movie.

movies tend to ruin good books (as you prob know), but now i can't even really go back and enjoy the book because i have all the imagery from the movie to take away from the fun of using my imagination. laaame.

geekgirl

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
Oh, at least once a year for the last 17 or so (the first four books). Missed last year, though, due to massive amount of no-free-time.

I owe my outlook on life, the universe, and everything to those books... :D

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I bought a great-huge "ultimate Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" hardcover about 10 years ago. I've read it cover-to-cover 3 times.
I have the BBC radio series as well, which I've listened to a half-dozen times or so.
I actually really liked the movie (the new one). It left out a lot of details (as all movies do) but I thought the adaptation of our old friend's characters to film was terrific. Mos Def played a fantastic Ford Prefect! I would know.. I know where my towel is. :cool:

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I read it once, watch the movie about 20 times, its very good :)

EDIT: geekgirl, is that a Hitchhickers Guide To The Galaxy refrence in your signature? :)

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
That is spooky, I just started rereading it today with someone who is an ESL (English as a Second Language), speaker and she loved it.

I have read it twice before.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
'Lots'.

I refuse to watch the movies.

Kurt Vonnegut is pretty similar too. If you like one, you'll like the other.

Douglas Adams also wrote an interactive text fiction (aka text adventure from about 1980) based on the book which is well worth playing.

It's well known for having some of the most fiendish puzzles ever put into a text adventure. Getting the Babel fish from the vending machine into your ear required about 23 steps if I remember right. And a towel.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Douglas Adams also wrote an interactive text fiction (aka text adventure from about 1980) based on the book which is well worth playing.

It's well known for having some of the most fiendish puzzles ever put into a text adventure. Getting the Babel fish from the vending machine into your ear required about 23 steps if I remember right. And a towel.

There used to be a widget for dashboard containing the whole game, but it was removed for copyright reasons. :(

Douglas Adams was particularly proud of the game - I seem to remember him saying that he enjoyed the fact that it was the first game that actually lied to the player.

I don't think I ever managed to complete the Babel Fish puzzle. :eek:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I haven't, but I keep meaning to try and find a copy as I've read so much about it. Is it any good?

It's very slow, to the point of frustration. After about 30 minutes you lose the will to live. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.