How many times have you used the Superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermir4444, Feb 8, 2012.

?

How often have you used/do you use the Superdrive?

1. I have never used it

32 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Less than 5 time

62 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I used it every now and then

67 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. I used it daily or weekly

34 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

The tittle says it all. How many times have you used your superdrive since you bought your machine?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I took out my internal optical drive (Superdrive) right after I opened the box and replaced it with an optibay HDD.

However I do have an external Bluray burner and I use that couple times at day when I'm at home. It's usually to archive or import something.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I burn demo copies a couple of times a week, but I have only ever used it once to install software. That's the drive in my iMac.

The external SD I bought with my MBA? Once to install office!

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Upon receipt of my new fully optioned BTO MBP, I performed a tear down to remove the gobs of excess thermal paste. Having had serious heating issues with the three prior new MBP's I purchased, due to too much paste, this is a very worthwhile task.

Now that I'm experienced, it's an easy yet laborious task, that results in a very nice improvement. Running cooler with less fan activity I actually looked forward to making this improvement.

While inside, I removed all traces of the optical drive to save a bit of weight.

I have a stylish new MBA external optical drive I bought in 2010 upon their release. It's only purpose is to be available for the times I decide to do a clean install.

Now I have the peace of mind that my thermal management is as efficient as possible, as well as enjoying the silent operation of the 512GB SSD without excessive fan activity.

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

None and it's not even in the laptop anymore.

6. dtjay7 macrumors regular

Probably should have had a "I removed it" choice. Like a lot of people on here, I have removed mine also and I have an external for the extremely rare times that I need one.

7. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

8. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

ermir4444

Yea i didn't think about that. Well i guess people who removed are automatically categorized as never used it because to them it doesn't matter.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The only time I've used mine was to make some bootleg DVDs :eek:

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Rarely enough so every time I tried using it, I found it wasn't working properly and out of the previous 90 day repair warranty. Apple was always cool about replacing it, though. That was maybe four times.

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Occasionally to burn CDs for my car. Wish I could put a custom deck so I can use MP3 CDs again.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I would like to swap it for an SSD but I use my drive too often and I don't want to carry an external drive and take the risk of having compatibility problems and so.

13. LCTN macrumors newbie

I don't use mine very often, so I'm now moving it out of the mbp and replacing it with a SSD.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use mine a few times a year, either creating CDs/DVDs or flashing my SSD firmware.

I may not use it that much but when the need arises, its good to have. From what I can understand, installing windows by way of boot camp won't work with a USB optical drive either. Another reason why I keep it in there.

I did have an optibay installed the optical drive pulled but I pulled that and reinstalled the optical drive.

15. bier-meister macrumors regular

I've a late 2008 mbp. I've used the drive once and that was to install iLife. Now that the app store is there it is not needed.

16. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

17. Santabean2000, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

For what? (Seriously, I'm curious as to why people still need these [or think they do])

The ODD, (in my experience), is by far the least reliable piece of hardware in the machine.

Takes up a HUGE amount of space too.

Time to ditch the deadwood as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: To the OP, I ditched the ODD in my 13" MBP a looooong time ago and stuck in an Intel X2 160GB SSD. Best decision I've made in regards to enhancing my computing experience.

18. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

19. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Maybe 10 times in the past 2 years (if that) and usually to archive, etc.

Looks like I need to look into replacing it with an external and get an additional drive.

;)

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Once when burning a DVD. Could do without one.

21. swartzfeger macrumors member

http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/omnisphere.php

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/?category=1649

Omnisphere was a multi-hour, multi DVD install for me.

When I get my new MBP, I will reinstall a lot of my libraries via internal ODD and then remove it.

Need ODDs? Yeah. As an internal drive? Debatable. Once I reinstall my libraries, I'm done with my superdrive. If I'm on location and need to give a file to a client, I can just as easily rip a MP3 to a thumb drive. Others might argue for burning a CD on location, but in those few instances I could toss an external drive in my bag.

22. malman89 macrumors 68000

I mean simply sticking a CD/DVD in it and listening/watching/opening some docs or do you mean the actual Superdrive features like burning/editing discs?

Honestly burning/re-writing discs probably a few times period. Obviously used DVDs/CDs much more.

23. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

tell me what it is and i can tell you if i've used it... :D

24. Laco macrumors 6502

25. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i use mine often to rip dvds, i like having a m4v version to put on my Iomega ScreenPlay MX with built in 1TB hard drive