How Many Times Will Health App Lose All Data?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Southern Dad, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

For the third time, I find that all the iOS 8 Health App has lost all data. Last time, thanks to a thread on here, I did a phone reset to fix this, then reset all my WiFi data. How many times will this happen?

2. Ries macrumors 68000

At-least until next iOS update. Background update of health data is currently broken, will be fixed in 8.1.

3. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

Good question. Health is the single least reliable piece of software I have ever seen from Apple.

I really hope 8.1 fixes it, because as it stands, this is simply unacceptable.

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The sad thing is that it worked well in the beta… it went to heck after I updated.

5. Brammy macrumors 65816

A reboot, or two, or three, usually gets it back.

6. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

7. alazhaarp macrumors member

When i restarted the phone usually the datas came back. Except the datas from Human app :( they're just gone, not coming back.

8. declandio macrumors 6502

Slightly off topic but I can't get the health app to show any sleep data at all. Am using a jawbone and it is pushing data into 'sleepio' but when I look in the health app, it's blank and says 'no data'. All the options/switches are definitely set correctly as far as I can tell!

9. Southern Dad, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I believe that only MotionX 24/7 works with the Health app sleep section so far. I've been using Sleep Cycle but after reading your post, I downloaded Motion X24/7 and will test it tonight. I'll tell you if it shows up on my Health app. On another aside, I used to have a Jawbone Up, when they dumped support and withdrew them from the market I switched to Fitbit and have never looked back at them the same. My experience with their customer service was not where I expected them to be. It is my hope that my Fitbit One becomes one of those items in the desk drawer unused. The iPhone with iOS 8 should handle all of this.

10. declandio macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for the info :) I have been using Sleep Cycle too, I figured a jawbone would do a better job of sleep tracking but the results from Sleep Cycle seem to be more accurate so I might send the jawbone back for a refund now and just revert to manually entering data from Sleep Cycle into Sleepio (Sleepio is a great app by the way, and they unlocked a year long sleep program for me for free, which was nice of them!)...

Thanks again...

11. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

So... I'm looking at these apps and can't figure out how they would work without something like a fitbit if you have a spouse sleeping in the same bed. I'm probably missing the obvious.

12. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I just restored from backup to purge the caches and junk files from one of my misbehaving apps, and that wound up also deleting all of the health app data. Don't know if any other resets will do the same thing.

Fortunately, the Health app had only been populated with a week's worth of step and mileage counts, and I'd already been using a different step count app with a year's worth of data still intact. But, I don't understand how a restore from backup erases the health app data, when it keeps messages, photos, and other local data intact.

It's not yet a huge issue because of the limited time that Health has been available. But, any bugs like this will become a much bigger deal over time when people start using more Health apps and storing huge backlogs of health tracking data.

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I've also noticed a loss of data and also it tends to forget whats supposed to be on the dashboard so when I open it up after a day or two the dashboards are empty again.

14. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

She can sleep on the couch! No, actually the placement of the iPhone captures your movement. I've tested it using the test mode with someone else in the bed. Now, some could be my mattress, I've got the iComfort Savant which does really reduce motion.

Mine came back this time after a hard reboot but it is so frustrating to have this happen over and over again.

Empty dashboard so sucks.

15. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Okay, I've checked the MotionX 24/7 works... until the next update, anyway.

Attached Files:

16. declandio macrumors 6502

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Mine hasn't lost any data since I started populating it. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of an erroneous blood pressure reading (my cuff went nuts) and so far haven't figured it out.

Oops - never mind, just figured it out. Show all data and then swipe to the left to get rid of the one you don't want. Duh. ;)

18. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Had the issue today. Tried to add weight, it hung on the screen with the "add" button grayed out, spinning wheel on one screen back, empty dashboard from there.

Could not add items back to dasboard due to toggle switch not staying in on position.

Power cycle got everything back.

19. declandio macrumors 6502

... the jawbone up app says 'powered by Motion X' on it's splash screen but still doesn't seem to push any data to healthkit. Who knows. Both apps are a bit dodgy at the moment so I give up trying to figure it out! Best advice from jawbone tech support is to reinstall the app and do a soft reset on the band (which I've done), but it's brand new so a reset will do sweet FA. Time to send it back methinks.

20. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

How about just place your iPhone on the bed face down with the Motion X 24/7 app turned on? Don't worry about the Jawbone part of it. That app works. I can even play back the recording of myself snoring. No more denying it. I have heard it.

For years, I've told my DD12 and her 6 year old sister that I certainly do not snore because I've never heard it. That's gone.

21. declandio macrumors 6502

That's what I'm gonna start doing now, thanks. No point having a £120 piece of rubber wrapped around my wrist when a cheap app does a better job! I followed jawbones tech support advice but it didn't make any difference. In fact, it introduced a new problem "can not connect to network". It's tubbish!

22. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

23. nathdogg macrumors regular

I know the feeling!! This happens to me every single day. The data randomly comes back at some point during the day, but it very frustrating.

24. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Happened to me for the first time today.

Sticking the app in a folder until Apple irons this mess out.

25. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Just opened Health to find out that it only has the last week of data stored. Whatever happened to the previous weeks is a mystery.