How many use iCal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NickD, Sep 26, 2007.

?

Do you use iCal?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm just starting to use iCal as my digital calendar, and wanted to see a show of hands of how many people here use iCal on a regular basis. How do you organize your iCal, and do you have any tips for me as I embark on my venture?

Nick

2. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Not really.

I don't have much of a scheduled life. Just go where ever I go.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i do. i like that ical syncs with my phone seamlessly. btw, there should be a poll to this thread.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I must admit, I'm hooked on iCal for scheduling stuff. I use it to keep track of home stuff, school stuff, work stuff, and game stuff.
    I maintain separate calendars for each of these uses, and if you're like me I'd recommend that you do the same.

5. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I use it because I've never bothered looking for an alternative, but my needs are pretty basic.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Same, although I think iCal's capabilities go far beyond what I use it for....

7. shecky Guest

shecky

i use it constantly and sync it to my blackberry with the missing sync.

each client gets a calendar and anything and everything relating to that client goes there. i also have separate cals for things like home, dates/anniversarys, etc..

i occasionally use the To-dos but i usually use the notes application that comes with the missing sync.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I do use it now that iPhone makes it useful to consult and update on the fly, and sync back later. I'm suddenly an iCal fan after years of hardly noticing as features were added.

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I started using it just because it would sync to my iPhone. I have never looked back since moving to it and I must say thats its hard to live without it. I tend to group certain events which are related to school, meetings appointments and all of them have a different color which makes it easier to identify.
    I am excited about the new features coming up in Leopard. Adding an appointment straight from an email makes me really excited.

10. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

same for me...I doubt I use all the features of iCal...but one of the reasons for using iCal was the good over all integration with all the other apps.

byakuya

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Daily

I would be lost without it, interfaces nicely with the iPhone, big plus.:cool:

12. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I use it !
    when i got my mac first i just ignored it..
    " calendar? heh? that sounds nerdy.. >_> "

but now im using it daily !!
    is pretty cool to use it and it reminds me of stuff and i sync it with my ipod and sony ericsson phone...

i have 5 calendars :

Driving: to see what tickets i got so far.. :p

College: tells me what lectures i have missed and tells me about the importand dates..

Hairs: i write a note whether i do a new cool haircut -im a hairdresser.(not fagg thnx).-

Life: whatever random stuff happenes to me in my stupid life..

Tech: famous products releases dates..ipod,leopard,major updates ect..

...sorry for being so detailed..just wanted to show how cool iCal can be..:D

13. rmw5 macrumors newbie

I use it :)

It is pretty basic and when I send an "invite" to others they get it as a mail message. I was use to the event getting added to THEIR calendar by the click of a button.

I have to have a calendar - I'd be lost! It syncs well with my Palm too.

It does need more "colors" ;) as some of my kids have to share event colors!

14. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I've just started using it, really in preparation for getting my iPhone, so I have a working calender.

15. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I use it, and like it. I too sync with my Blackberry using MissingSync.

I only use 2 calendars: Business and Personal.

My only gripe is that it doesn't have a pop-up calendar for selecting dates. Having to manually type them in seems very un-Mac like.

I also find it very un-Mac like that there's no trash can to drop appointments/to-dos into. Doesn't work with the OS trashcan either.

16. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

It's all I use. I always hated Outlook when I was in a Windows environment, so I really like iCal.

I have it set for all birthdays of people I know, which is A huge thing for me. Solid app. Love that it's great friends with my iPhone.

17. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I use iCal & Entourage - for different purposes.

iCal syncs GREAT with my iPhone, so I use iCal for all my personal stuff, and I have several calendars for birthdays (which you can link to your contact book - it auto updates!), church events, personal events & finance items (bill reminders, acct transfers, reminders to check stocks, etc). Great thing is, if you set a reminder, it pops up on your iPhone too!

I use Entourage more for the email, but I also put some professional items in the calendar, and I dont sync that with my iPhone. iCal has some great uses, if you dont need a LOT of flexibility, it works great and keeps things simple... I dont want to spend 20 minutes setting up a reminder for something that will only take me 5 minutes to do... seems a bit wasteful of time to me.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use iCal for my Uni lectures, deadlines etc. as well as keeping track of things such as the F1 calendar and Liverpool FC fixture list, there are many many calendars to search through and subscribe over at www.icalshare.com

19. padmasana macrumors member

padmasana

It's interesting how many of us just started using iCal along with the emergence of the iPhone. I'm certainly in that boat, too.
    It's kinda funny that Steve Jobs said the iPod Touch was "training wheels" for the iPhone. For me, the iPhone has been "training wheels" for iCal and Contacts.

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I use it, it syncs to my Nokia phone, and I have an old iMac at work so I can add things to it there, too.

I've got separate calenders for work, home, classes, my son. I publish my son's calender so both he and his father can subscribe to it (great for coparents that don't live together, and for mobile kids), I subscribe to my husband's work schedule, and I have the calender send me e-mail reminders for various things, like when to throw out my contacts and open a new pack. :p

21. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My whole family uses iCal. Everyone has a public and a private calendar, plus we keep family calendar in the kitchen. Public calendars are published, private ones aren't. In addition, my wife and I have two different work calendars -- work that affects family (travel, nighttime meetings, so on), and work that doesn't (business-day stuff).

One thing that has never worked very well for me is syncing between computers. Publish and subscribe is much more reliable.

22. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I use it all the time and have several calendars. My biggest gripe is not being able to view more than one month at a time (c'mon Leopard...)

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Good point. A button to quickly jump back to the current month/week/day would be nice too. Command-T, or View > Go to Today works, but a button would be nice. I think it's probably a pretty common thing to want to instantly jump back to the current month/week/day after you've gone browsing into other months.

24. pprior macrumors 65816

What do you mean by publish and subscribe? We do not have .mac but would like to share calendar between macs (primarily in our own home but also elsewhere perhaps). We don't have a server, just a mac pro and an imac and in the future likely a macbook.

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I am a grad student, teacher and I have my own business.

I LIVE on iCal

It makes my life so much easier sync with iPhone, organize clients, classes, work, social events tasks, etc.

wonderful app

Ive found an easier way to sync my icals between macs is to export my entire calender and send it to myself in an email as an attachment. open it on my other mac and viola.

might not work for everyone though...

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: