How many would use 'data limits' if Apple implemented it?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Apr 22, 2014.

?

How many of you would use this feature?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2014.
  1. Yes, I would use it.

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No, don't need it.

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It would be nice to have, but don't care for it.

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Lately I've been going over my data (2GB/mo.) and I was hoping that Apple would be able to add such an option in the near future. You could input when you want your phone to "cut-off" data and it will no longer use it. Say I put 1.99GB then after I have used that much it "cuts" it off and I can't use any more unless I manually turn it off. What do you guys think? how many would use it? I hope something simple as that is implemented in iOS 8

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

It can be useful, but Apple likely wouldn't put anything that would cut people's services off on its own (even if someone preset something for that to happen).

Perhaps another big piece to it is that there are other apps that can do the monitoring and warning without actually cutting things off, leaving it to the user.

There's also the whole piece about shared data to consider where if you are sharing your carrier plan data with other devices your device won't really know how much they used and your cut off points might not really mean much if someone else uses a ton and goes over without you realizing it.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, it's down to the user really. Make a note of your billing date, and then reset your cellular data counter. Then just keep an eye on it...

4. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

While a totally agree with what you said I think this feature wouldn't hurt.

An opt in feature to cut off cellular data once you reach a user set limit is a great idea. Saves me having to monitor my usage so regularly to avoid bill shock!

5. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Would be cool for some users. However more and more carriers have started to throttle network speed and doesn't surcharge for passed limit. So I doubt that Apple would implent this feature

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Like which ones? In US at least most moved away from that in recent years and keep on trying to get more and more people with older plans to move away from it. T-Mobile might be sort of starting on the path back to what it was, but that seems to be in early stages and they seem to be pretty much the only (bigger) one.

7. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Was talking mostly about Europe carriers ;)

8. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

In the UK at least EE (not sure about others) stop your data once you reach the limit. To get more you have to text a number and a 100mb data package is added to your bill and you can use it again. Works effectively.

On another note you should try Onavo. They compress data and help to reduce the data usage for things like Facebook and websites (not videos though).

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see a need for apple to purposely restrict the phone. It seems more like a personal responsibility issue then anything else.

I'm sure there are apps out there that will provide some level of measurement for you. My carrier provides such, and emails me when I reach a certain threshold, i.e., 80%.

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Other half is with O2 and this is what they do now. They used to do it so once you went over they throttled you so it worked but very slowly. However now they stop you being able to access data at all which whilst you just accept you cant browse net, use apps etc it can cause fun and games with iMessages not going through and it resorting to a standard sms and taking a while etc.

I popped this on the other halves phone a while back and it does make a difference..she was initially on a 500mb deal but you could squeeze a fair bit more out of it using onavo. It did used to cause issues if you tethered anything to the phone though.

That said all of the above is exactly why i switched to the one plan on 3 with unlimited data!

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Carriers would definitely not want that. They make money off people that go over their data.
    That being said, I would not use the feature if it was ever implemented. I never go anywhere near my limit, and I usually only use about 1/10 of it a month so I have no fear of overage charges.

12. IFRIT, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

IFRIT macrumors 6502a

I use this feature to keep track if how much data I use, I get have unlimited data though so only use it because it's built in option on Android.

It was defiantly a god send though when I was on a restricted data contract.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Shutting off? Not sure I want that.

But I'd like a little battery-like icon in the top status bar showing your data allotment running down. 100%. -> 99% -> 98% all the way down to 0% and then going negative when you overrun.

If you could manually set how many GB 100% represented it would be useful for folks who share data pools (family share plan)

14. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

This would be pretty useful for me! I go over my data all the time. It's pretty annoying actually. ATT sends out weird data cap warnings, the first being at 65%? I kind of wish they sent out more at 25% intervals rather than starting at 65%. But shutting off my data might be useful.

15. hamis92 macrumors 6502

No need, personally. I have unlimited data, no throttling.

16. cynics macrumors G3

This is a feature I used with Android. When I was 500 mb away it would warn me. When I was 100 mb away it would shut it off (with another warning of course).

I found it to be very accurate. I could have probably set the cut off 10-20 mb away. You could just set up warnings though so it didn't shut off cellular data.

Now I have a work provided iPhone that they don't care if I go over (within reason). So it would be of no use to me. However I could see it being useful to others on a tiered data plan.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can't edit the thresholds somehow using your account online perhaps?

Also, there are apps that can do it for you on your phone too that you can control.

18. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I personally think that's a little tedious. Keep checking, reset stats and the whole shenanigans. This would be a cool feature yet simple if implemented properly and I'm sure it would be used.

Another great use could be if a person has a little kid with a device that has data (iPhone or Cellular iPads). Will be able to prevent overage. This is a specific example but just an example.

----------

Can you give me an example of an app. I wanna see how good they are.

19. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are some different ones--DataMan is probably a good example of one.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you can afford a $650.00 smartphone you should be able to afford a data plan that goes along with it.

22. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

That's a pretty aggressive response but anyways - I buy mine on contract and usually have enough credits to get the phone for free. $650 personally isn't loose change for everyone.

Back on point: regardless of what the phone costs there are some features that are useful and in a case by case basis it's helpful.

23. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I've always liked Android's data warning system. It made sense to me. Just have it so when you hit Xgb it has a notification letting you know how much you've used.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

On Windows Phone, when you start to get low on data it puts your phone into a conserve data sort of mode - you basically half your data. It's quite useful if you use a lot of data, but it doesn't prevent you from using your phone if you want to.

25. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I would love an app where I could get all that information a quick glance without having to sign in or scroll through screens

Nevermind I see they exist thanks.