Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I had a 145b Powerbook that I used from July 1994 to August 2001. And it wasn't the machine that died, it was the Kingston "Lifetime" ram that I had added. It still works!

On the other hand, my 400mhz TIbook bought that August of 2001 is still being used by a friend who bought from me after a Daystar 550mhz upgrade.
So -- five and a half years?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I just retired my iBook G3 600MHz 640Mb/20Gb after nearly 5 years of use. Could've kept it going longer, but I couldn't resist all the improvements in the new C2D MacBooks.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
powerbook G4 still kicking, microsoft *ss that is! I have had two powerbooks since since late 2003 and 2004 respectively. And, so I don't have to reply later... I have two because my mom ordered one, then didn't need it any longer and left it for me. Thanks mom. you're the best!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I usually keep my laptops until Applecare runs out. I like to know that if anything happens to my laptop it is covered under warranty. So basically a 3 year turn around on my portables. I may keep my current MBP longer as i am totally satisfied with it, but who knows what may catch my eye in 3 years :p

Ed

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I've had my PB G4 since July '04. Replaced the combo drive after a year, and recently upgraded the hdd after hearing a few tics I didn't much like. I was cruising along fine until we bought our daughter a MB for HS graduation last summer. Now I want an upgrade.:eek:

I'll probably wait at least another year.

Applespider

macrumors G4
My Powerbook will be 3 this week ;) and it's the most reliable three year old computer I've had since my old Performa (neither of my last two PCs made it to three without dying). The only reason I'm thinking about buying a new Mac is because it is getting a little slow at running iMovie and encoding DVDs. For most day-to-day stuff, it's still fine.

It's so still fine that I'm really thinking about buying an iMac so that I can keep this one on the go rather than buying a MBP and only getting another portable when it finally dies... :(

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
bought my pb in Aug 2004. I hope it last one more year till the end of college. Then i might get a new mbp. Also when i graduate depending on where i get a job, i might sell my imac and upgrade to a mac pro. As far as the laptop, i think i'm going to keep it until it does; unless i need the power

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
The last notebook I had was a dell xps m1210 I had it for about 2 weeks but couldnt stand it. So I sold it last night.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
My iBook G3 900 only lasted 1 1/2 years. But that's only because I got a knee-jerk reaction to new Apple stuff. Damn you, Mac mini! :D

This MacBook though, I'm hoping I'll keep for 3 years (the duration of it's AppleCare period). I'll buy another Apple computer just before I finish school for good - to take final advantage of the educational discount, of course! :D

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I'm terrible. I bought a PB 1.67 in the summer of 05 for college.. then in the summer of 06 I traded it for a white MB.. then a month later sold that to buy a black MB.. then a couple months after that, sold the black MB to buy this MBP.

uhm. hopefully this one stays with me a bit longer... :eek:

on the bright side, I've yet to pay for Applecare! :p

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I bought my PowerBook G3 Wallstreet back in late 2001 and it is still the system I spend the most amount of time on... which is pretty good considering that it was built back in 1998.

Last summer I did get another PowerBook G3 (a Lombard from 1999), but not as a replacement. That system is my primary school computer.

As it stands, I can't see needing to move from my Wallstreet to any other system (for writing, browsing and e-mail) any time in the near future. It may not be the fastest system I own, but it is the one I'm most comfortable working on.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
well after about 3 years of not having mac laptops (Don't worry I had a desktop mac) I burned through 3 windows laptops. Grant it the total cost was about 1700 for all of them and they weren't the best built. I finally switched to a mbp. I plan on keeping it 3 years and hopefully 4.

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
Since I made the switch about 3 years ago I've gone through a couple of Powerbooks - a 15" 1.5 GHz Rev C that was absolute crap, and a 17" Rev E that rode shotgun in my backpack as I toured the world.

I still have that PB, and it's a tank. If it weren't for the fact that the company I work for owned it I would be selling it for a pretty hefty price right now (not that I couldn't continue using it for years, but because I'm in Day 13 of ownership of a Week 46 15" glossy C2D and, except for a few weird niggles and quirks (mainly centered around the wifi) I'm lovin' it.)

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
I've had my MBP since early Nov and I plan to stay with it for at least 3 more years (that'll bring me through college no problem (only 2 years left!) and maybe in to law school). I think it's going to be fast enough for a while. At the moment, I can't see boxing it up to leave in the basement for a new machine any sooner than 3 years. But once it dies, maybe I'll make it the center piece on my mantle or something...

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I'm writing this on my G3 500 Mhz PowerBook and plan on using it this summer when in Europe. So it is going strong into year 7. I'm either too cheap to buy a new one or don't mind its sluggish performance in Tiger.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My Rev A 12" PowerBook G4 was purchased in March 2003 and is still used every work day (I have the iMac G5 for weekends). I've considered putting a 1GB chip in it, since it shows no sign of giving up just yet and with Leopard coming it will probably need more than its current 640MB.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm hoping to keep this one for at least 4-5 years, cause I don't think I could afford another one until then. All my previous ones I had for short timespans, but their previous owners had them for at least that long before I got them.

jW

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I've only have my CD MacBook for 3 months but intend to keep it for at least 3 years (or until I need to upgrade due to sequencing software demands). I need to up the RAM as it is!

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I've had this C2D MB since November. I just can't seem to be satisfied with my laptops. It seems I've upgraded once every year since 2004. Before that I had two Windows PC's that I had since about 1996.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I love threads like these. I think the longest I've ever used one might be 2 years (or 1.5) for a Thinkpad x30 I got to start out college. I really dig the idea of using a computer from newness to obsoleteness, and running it for the better part of a decade...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Still using my PB15 after 4 years.

I figure that it has a few more good years.

Used my PowerBook 170 that I purchased in '93 up through 2004. So I got 10 plus years on it.

Why get a new laptop if the current one does what you need?

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I had my macbook for about 3 months, piece of **** broke when my dad took a bat to it. lol:eek:

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I wonder all these apple laptop users, how many years keep their laptops in use before they buy a new one.
Mac hardware, mac os, are ideal to run for years without severe problems in hardware/software or performance?

Kept my 550mhz PB Titanium for 4 years and my 15 inch Alum PB for 2 years and my 2 Gen Macbook for 9 months before selling it to get a Santa Rosa 2.2 Macbook Pro.

I've had the SR MBP for just about 6 months and am very satisfied. Perhaps I shall keep it for a couple of years. :)

Cheers,

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
500 MHz Ti Powerbook still going strong after six and half years. It's on its third hard drive and I just replaced the battery, though.

My TiBook croaked in March, but I got a good 5 1/2 years. I was beginning to think I was one of the last, good to hear that others are still going strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.