How much battery life do you get on your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Jun 12, 2011.

1. SR71, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

SR71 macrumors 68000

Well, I'm trading my Android Phone for a Verizon iPhone 4 and I am wondering what kind of battery life people are getting? I've read reviews and stuff, but that's all based on tests and stuff, not real usage. I want to know what the battery life is like for normal usage? On my current Android Phone I get 6-8 hours of usage (and this is light use, hence why I want an iPhone as I heard they get awesome battery life).

Also, I'm wondering what your battery life is like on your iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.8/4.3.3?

2. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

My iP4 on 4.3.3 is tracking at about 24 to 36 hours if just shooting a few texts and a call once in a day or two. But then my phone isn't heavily used.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I charge my iPhone every night and it's generally at around 40% by the time it goes on charge. This is around 17 hours after it came off charge with 4-5 hours use

5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I get anywhere between 24 and 30 hours of normal usage that includes making few calls, twitter, and 3 email accounts on push.

6. dylanursula macrumors 6502

I charge every night and usually have about <20% by then, surf about 20 to 30 mins total and check email about 10 times a day. Overall I think my battery is not great and thought it was better with my iphone3g

7. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

Depends on how much I use it and what I use. I usually get around 5-10 hours light usage so only have to charge it every other night (though it still has battery but I don't want to risk it). With heavy usage it just scrapes a day and a half.

Attached some pictures of different usages, first three are relatively light and the last is heavy.

Attached Files:

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

9. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

You call that heavy usage then i dont know what my usage is....Heavy XXL use :D

I can leave the house fully charged at 08:00 and it will be down to between 50%-60% by the time i get home at 18:00.Then by 23:00 it'll need charging.

Do you use it at all :eek:

10. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Insane numbers man! All I do is make maybe 1-5 calls a day, 1 push email account, some browsing, lots of reading tweets on Twitter, and maybe a game every once in a while and on my current phone, that gets me 6-8 hours of use, and compared to what some of you do with your iPhone 4's throughout the day, that's light use! Man I hate the battery life on this phone... I love Android, but the battery life kills me (I also love iOS, though, so switching to an iPhone will be a breeze). :)

I can't wait to get my iPhone 4 and finally see what its like to have 24+ hours of battery life. That's what I'd call amazing.

11. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

The iPhone I believe has the best battery life on the market because the OS regulates it properly. If you're looking for outstanding battery life, this is your choice :cool:

12. wales915 macrumors newbie

battery

Well, personally, I'm on my 4th Iphone, replaced by the apple store, because my battery would drop to 40 % within 5 hrs, with little to no use... Yes 4th phone, and same issue..

13. mms13 macrumors 6502

Generally around 7-8 hours usage time. I need to charge it every night, but I use it pretty heavily throughout the day.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No need to bump. There are hundreds of these threads out there waiting for search.

Expect anywhere from 5-7 hours of normal usage on a fresh charge.

15. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm expecting around 20+ hours of battery life with my usage, which compared to other people's usage, seems to be quite light.

16. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Right around six hours of usage (not counting stand-by time) is what I've been getting on the iPhone 4. At the end of its life, I got around 3 hours on my iPhone 3G so I'm obvioulsy way impressed with the 4.

17. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

By battery life, I meant how long till you would need to charge your iPhone, so pretty much the usage time + standby time. :)

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

For a time, my battery was draining fast. About 1% for every 3-4 minutes compared to 6 min on the same setting. One time, it died within 3 hours. I was confused. I used to get 9-10 hours WiFi and would now get 5-7. I figured it was already a year old. I resetted setting and did a hard reset. Still had a prob. So what I did was drain it completely to 0% everytime instead of charging it from like over 20%. I now get back that 9-hour WiFi minimum and 5-6 min 1% drain. Try not to use the phone while charging. I was guilty of this for a few weeks. I am at 5:38 usage at 50%. This is on pace for over 9 hours for sure. Not as great as back in the day, but much closer to the normal. I was thinking of jumping to 4.3.3 because of my batt prob and to restore as new, but decided I wanted my 4.0 animation smoothness. I may not switch to 5.0 even if I am tempted because I don't want to have my phone bloated and laggy. I might as well just get an Android phone with the notification, OTA updates, and free cloud service.

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I charge mine every night and I have NEVER run out of juice.

Cheers.

20. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just got my iPhone 4 an hour ago and I love it so far. :) Can't wait to see how battery is.

21. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Gratz!! Your gonna love it and all your iOS hating android friends are going to tell you your an idiot. ;) But we all know they are wrong!! :D

Cheers.

22. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Wow, I need a new phone. I didn't realize the battery life was so great! 9 hours?!? That's easily double what mine would get with just moderate or even light usage (surfing the web, checking facebook, texting). Of course, it was just a 3G, but still this makes me really want a newer iPhone, one that will last me throughout the day instead of dying by 3 or 4.

23. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Haha don't get me wrong, I love android, it's just that it doesn't seem fully complete yet. It lags, apps force close, and battery life sucked on my android phone. All I would get was 6-8 hours of TOTAL battery life. Not just usage, but usage + standby time. It sucked.

The reason I came to iPhone was because 1.) It's more refined, 2.) It's so much more fluid, 3.) battery life on iPhone 4's is amazing from what I've heard, 5.) There are sooooo many more apps than android and they don't force close.

24. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

And you love android WHY? ;) :apple:

25. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I love flashing different ROM's and all the other good stuff about Android... lol.

Now, let's get back on topic! :)