How much "Battery Usage" is used while you sleep?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So every night I notice that my 6+ is reporting about 30-45 minutes worth of battery usage when I am sleeping, not using the phone. I have had background refresh shut off and location services, but its still happening.

I am wondering if others are experiencing the same things and how much is happening to them? If you haven't checked it out, take a note of what its at before you go to sleep and then check again in the morning and report back.

Thanks!

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
The phone is still going to "wake up" from time to time to do things like check with the carrier for updates, check for mail, backup to iCloud, etc. I would say that's not enough time to be really concerned with.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
Try airplane mode in settings. Turns off wifi and lte so no calls or email go through but as soon as you wake in the morning, you can turn it on and see missed calls/emails etc.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
If you're in one place for the entire night, why in the world wouldn't you plug it in and charge it? Come on, people, you can get MFI certified chargers on Amazon for like $10-15. Just buy several and keep them in places where you stay in one place for a long time.

And don't even start with the "I shouldn't have to charge it all the time" arguments either. You know what you're getting into with the iPhone. Apple sacrifices some battery life for the design. The best way to deal with that is just to top it off throughout the day a little bit.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Try airplane mode in settings. Turns off wifi and lte so no calls or email go through but as soon as you wake in the morning, you can turn it on and see missed calls/emails etc.
Have tried already, will try again tonight.

Had about 1 hour of usage last night while sleeping!!!

----------

If you're in one place for the entire night, why in the world wouldn't you plug it in and charge it? Come on, people, you can get MFI certified chargers on Amazon for like $10-15. Just buy several and keep them in places where you stay in one place for a long time.

And don't even start with the "I shouldn't have to charge it all the time" arguments either. You know what you're getting into with the iPhone. Apple sacrifices some battery life for the design. The best way to deal with that is just to top it off throughout the day a little bit.
What is an MFI Certified charger?

----------

And lastly, i'm not asking how much battery drain, I am asking how much it says your phone was in use while you were sleeping!

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
I charged my iPhone 6 until it hit 100%. I used it for maybe 5 minutes unplugged and went to bed. woke up with 100% and used it for maybe 20 minutes before it lost 1%.

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
My 6+ doesn't show any drop in battery percentage overnight. I haven't looked at usage time from evening to morning, however.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I can't seem to wrap my head around the reason you would not plug it in over night. That's like prime time to charge it.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I charged my iPhone 6 until it hit 100%. I used it for maybe 5 minutes unplugged and went to bed. woke up with 100% and used it for maybe 20 minutes before it lost 1%.
But how much battery usage is reported under Settings>Usage>Battery Usage

UKapple73

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Sorry but those guys who say they drop zero overnight, I simply don't believe you
Apple state the standby time as 384 hours, that's with full signal probably. Let's say 350 hrs real world, that's 3.5 hrs per percent, so a 8 hour sleep you will lose around 2% and that's the BEST case scenario!!
I'm seeing around 4~5% overnight
I can see how you might get zero drop when it's on 100%, as for some reason you get much more usage out of that first 1%!

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Sorry but those guys who say they drop zero overnight, I simply don't believe you
Apple state the standby time as 384 hours, that's with full signal probably. Let's say 350 hrs real world, that's 3.5 hrs per percent, so a 8 hour sleep you will lose around 2% and that's the BEST case scenario!!
I'm seeing around 4~5% overnight
I can see how you might get zero drop when it's on 100%, as for some reason you get much more usage out of that first 1%!
Well, there is nothing we can do to make you believe us, but well no reason for us to lie. My iPhone 6 does the same, I take it off from charger at around 11PM, then at 8 in the morning, its still at 100%. Though I do kill all the apps in the background except mail at night.

My iPhone 5 used to be at around 98% even when it was brand new.

Actually my iPhone 6 requires a good 10-15 minutes use to move it to 99%.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Yes I did say I can believe if it's on 100% as you can sometimes get 35-40 mins use on 100 as opposed to 5-7 mins on any other battery level. But for me being on 100% on going to bed is very very rare!!

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
But how much battery usage is reported under Settings>Usage>Battery Usage
My iPhone stays at 100% overnight, and shows around 20 minutes usage without me touching it since plugging out of charge.

----------

Yes I did say I can believe if it's on 100% as you can sometimes get 35-40 mins use on 100 as opposed to 5-7 mins on any other battery level. But for me being on 100% on going to bed is very very rare!!
Um going to bed ? I said it stays at 100% overnight, and yes it does surprise me also, though am not complaining :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.