How much cash do you carry around?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Oct 16, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

It is interesting how much cash you carry around, one of my friends does not carry more then $10 ever, while others carry nothing but cash.

I tend to use my credit cards for any purchase over $150 and use cash for stuff that are below. If i go to a restaurant i carry cash for tips but pay with my card.

If this seems to be a to personal i apologize from now on, its just that i always wonder.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

None. I abhor change, just a personal preference of mine.

I use my check card for everything unless my wife and I decide it needs to go on the credit card (only large purchases ... renting a car requires one, etc.) and then we pay that off before the interest kicks in.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

anywhere up to £200 but in most cases £40.

In my old job i had to walk around carrying £5000+ in nothing more than a plastic bag

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Between £10 and £30...never more unless I have something specific I need to buy which costs more :)

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Generally I'll have £10-£20 (about $20-$40) on me, if I'm off to the pub or the football I'll have a little more so I can get a drink or two in.

Anything more than that and I'll use my debit card – my credit card only tends to come out for buying stuff online.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Around £200, unless I'm deliberately carrying more to make a specific purchase with cash.

7. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

usually none, unless I need to go somewhere that only accept cash.

I always use credit card (even for a cup of coffee) and pay off the full amount. I don't like coins and this way I also get 2% cash back :)

8. ellyr macrumors newbie

I also prefer not to carry too much cash with me, anything more than $50 makes me nervous. It's not like I've ever been jumped on but I'm very good at misplacing money :rolleyes:

I have two credit cards, one I use for groceries, fuel and everyday things that I try to pay off before the interest free period is up and the other for the expensive things in life (like the Adobe CS3 and iMac I just purchased).

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

usually none.
    if i need cash i'll go to the atm quick.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Pay for most things via credit card -- then pay that one bill at the end of the month.

However, since Japan is more of a cash society than the states, I usually carry about 10,000 to 20,000 yen ($100 - $200) in my pocket just in case they won't accept a credit card.

11. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Usually very little - if I have it, I tend to spend it. Under $10, always, unless I'm carrying cash to buy something specific at a place that doesn't take credit cards or checks.

12. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm too lazy to go to the ATM or bank and get cash.

13. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Not enough. ;)

But usually no more than $25 dollars, maybe $50 if I'm going to the mall or some other place.

14. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Between $0 and $20, for little stuff (coffee, etc.). I figure what's the point? Everyone takes Visa, so why bother carrying around cash. If I lose or have my wallet stolen, I call and cancel my cards. If I lose a wallet full of cash, my money's gone.

15. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Usually none, which is a pain in the ass sometimes because my girlfriend ALWAYS carries cash, so she usually beats me to the cash register while I fumble about looking for my debit card.

I should really carry a few bucks, but I always blow it if I have it.

16. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Funny story (please dont laugh at me a lot)

When i was in Boston for a summer corse i went on a date with this nice woman, we went to the movies. We sat beside some people who talked a lot, we decided to move so we did. 20 mins passed and when i put my hands in my pocket my wallet was not there, i had around $200, 3 credit cards, my driving license, my school id and cards pin codes. I freaked out, you see i am not from the US and it would take 2 weeks to get replacements to me and it will cause a lot of pain. I wish i could see myself running in the theater looking for my wallet not noticing it was in my jacket pocket (on the chain) the whole time.

It did not work out between me and that girl, i think she seeing a grown man running in the theater then going on his hands and knee's looking for his wallet not a turn on.

From that day i use cards more often then cash and i always keep a backup card just in case.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Usually carry around 100-$200 but use my debit card for most everything.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I normally use my card, but carry $40-$60 just in case (eg. I once filled the car with petrol then my card got declined, so the cash was a lifesaver!)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

0-30 is pretty much all I really carry in my wallet. When it hit zero I go with out it for a while and on my next trip to the grocery store I get 20-30 bucks cash back. I have found I aways need like 2-3 bucks when ever I do not have any cash.
    I use my cards for almost everything. It very nice when everyone takes credit/check cards. Plastic is just so much easier to pay with.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In my studenty ways I carry around little money. Probably up to £5 in £1 coins, jingeling around my Wee Bee bag. Card seems to do everything these days so I stick with that.

22. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Is a check card the same thing as a debit card?

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I carry typically about $40-60 unless I have specific plans needing cash -- I usually withdraw $100 at a time. Mostly I use cash for espresso drinks in the morning and stuff at the hospital cafeteria.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Being in the building trade, usually £200-£2,000, depending on whether it's Friday or not...

25. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

$5-$20 for coffee and snacks, everything else on debit card.

Some places like the Farmer's Market do not take debit so those days I might have $30-$50