How much cheaper will Apple Watch 2 be?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vistokid, Jun 19, 2015.

1. vistokid, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

vistokid macrumors 6502

I think we all can agree that Apple Watch is priced rather aggressively. Based on history one would assume that a price drop would be expected when AW2 is announced.

Any guesses? I'm saying at least $50 across the board on the Sport/Watch - who knows about the Edition :)

*Whoops misspelled the title, any idea on how I can edit that? Mods can you please change "chearer" to " cheaper" please. Thx.

2. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

history tells us that apple will follow the same pricing structure, but drop the price of the older version (AW 1).

now i was thinking the other day that i wouldnt be surprised if apple did some sort of promotion in the future -- "buy a new iphone and get an AW Sport for $199." i could see them trying to pair the two devices together as a single purchase. kinda like the back to school specials where you got a free (or discounted) iPod Touch for buying a new mac during back to school season.

3. MaulRx Suspended

We have years before we have to worry about the apple watch 2. They can't spoon feed us minor updates like they do on their phones: the price prohibits this.

4. c55 macrumors regular

c55

No price drop. There isn't enough competition to do so. Pebble is the only other iOS smartwatch and it can't do a fraction of what the Watch can do, plus the watch uses more luxurious materials. Although, there are rumors of more variety in the $1,000+ range.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Apple will hold the line on the price. I also expect them to offer more versions with different price points. I really expect to see something between the stainless steel ($549-$1099 with band options) and the $10-17K gold "edition" watches.

6. vistokid thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be a clever idea actually.

7. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That is a clever idea, I can see them doing that.

8. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I know no more than you, but I'm confident Apple Will update watch as much as any other of their products. We'll have an apple watch within a year.

9. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I hate to say this but I think Apple will exactly do that, next year we will see the AW2 and those of us who bought the first edition will be mad when the new one comes out which will be thinner and do more :(

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

No price drops. Just a new watch with more features.

11. jankm macrumors newbie

I doubt there would be a drop, but I'd hope a slightly cheaper option would be available to buy without a band.

12. H3rman macrumors 6502

£2.50 and they'll throw in a batman sports band for free ;)

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

history tells us that the price will be the same with better features.....

14. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The only possibility of a 'price drop' will be when all the returns make it to the refurbished section of Apple's website. Other than that, I agree with the others saying there will be no price drop.

15. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It all depends on Apple's business plan and target adoption rate. Remember, they dropped the price of the first iPhone before they even introduced the second generation.

I saw an estimate that there is something like 94M iPhones in use in the U.S. And, I saw another estimate that financial folks were and are are projecting something between 10M and 30M in watch sales. That is a massively aggressive 10% to 30% adoption rate. And, I have seen other estimates that Apple has sold something like 2.5M watches in the U.S. so far.

If Apple is going to hit a 10M sales target in the first year, then it will need to quadruple the launch volume (about 2 months worth of ordering) over the next 10 months. Christmas will likely bring a spike, but 10M is far from a gimme. If Apple is planning on a bigger adoption rate, like in the 20M range, then they will need to do something aggressive to attract more buyers.

16. srshaw macrumors 6502

I agree with the view that there will be no price drop, I can't think of any Apple 'current' product that has got cheaper. I also think we will also see quite regular updates, although the next iteration may be slightly delayed due to the delay in delivering the 1st watch. My bet would be an Apple Watch 2 with the iphone 7 next september (2016).

17. vistokid thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, it makes sense to deliver them together.

18. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

by edition, you don't mean the gold one, correct? Just first "version / iteration"?

if this is correct, why would you be mad? I'm loving my Apple Watch and will likely buy the 2nd version when it comes out. In the mean time, I get to use, play with, and get the most out of the first iteration for a full year. No reason to be mad! Apple releases products on a yearly cycle, nothing new.

19. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

I would say that all entry prices remain the same: $349/399, $549/599, and $10,000/12,000. Pricing further up the range could change depending on how the band offering is revised, but I don't see the starting price with sport bands changing.

While I see the band mechanism remaining unchanged, I don't see them making the second gen Watch available without a band. If you have an existing band you're carrying over to the new one, then you'll just have to buy the sport band configuration. Apple has already made it clear how they want to sell the Watch by not letting you configure any band with any watch at purchase, so I don't see them offering the option to have no band. Besides, the sport band is only $49, so the most you'd save from this option is $49 ($300/350 for Watch Sport, $500/550 for Watch). I don't think not offering this will be a dealbreaker when it comes to people upgrading.

I also can't think why the existing Watch would continue to be sold when the second gen arrives. Apple already offers three very distinct lines at three different price points. It has been rumored that they may be introducing a tier in between Watch and Watch Edition, bumping it to four lines. Offering the existing Watch Sport, and also perhaps the Watch, would mean producing five or six different models. It would also just totally crowd the sub-$1,000 range. Plus, a $249 first gen Watch Sport makes the more expensive models an even harder sell, and at $299, the price difference isn't meaningful enough to warrant its existence. It is also quite clear with the way that Apple has marketed the Watch that they want to avoid getting into the tech specs to make the product seem less like a "gadget", and upselling people from the first to the second gen would require them to delve into the whole "twice as fast, GPS, front facing camera, blah blah..." angle.

20. papbot macrumors 6502

I think that's the funniest thing I've read today! Thanks for the laugh.

21. CharlesShaw, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

The Apple Stores are rolling out their new, even more upscale design with fewer items on display, rich wooden panels/drawers that showcase only the best accessories and reduce the number of third party products, and yet we still expect prices to drop on their only "jewelry" item?

22. orev macrumors regular

They have no motivation at all to do any kind of promotional pricing. These things are flying off the shelves and and they can't keep up with demand now. Why on earth would they want to give them away at a cheaper price? It makes no sense.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Titanium. Mark. My. Word.

24. papbot macrumors 6502

That's why these ludicrous posts about Apple Watch 2 in the fall are even more ridiculous. Apple is just getting started promoting and selling the hell out of these things. They won't worry about a version 2 for a couple of years.

25. papbot macrumors 6502