How much data does Maps use?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kmichalec, Sep 20, 2012.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if anyone has done an experiment to see how much data the Maps app uses serving up all those Maps and 3D renderings? Now that Verizon and AT&T are steering us away from the unlimited plans, I'm wondering how much more data I'll be using each month if I use Maps to drive back and forth from work and home each day for my 2 total hours of commute time. Anyone tested that? Maybe check to see how much data you've used before starting Maps, and then how much after? I haven't upgraded yet, otherwise I'd test it myself.

2. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

It's vector-based instead of the panels used in the former version, so probably less than before.

I'm interested to know as well.

3. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Are the maps loaded from the connection or are they stored locally like my Tom Tom app?

4. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Downloaded in real time, as you are using the app.

5. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

6. scott523 macrumors 6502a

7. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Installed iOS6 last night, and tested this morning on my drive into work in the Detroit area. 50 minute drive 33 miles (one way). Used 960KB down/316 KB up. Pretty reasonable.

Thanks, but the post referenced above was people discussing the Beta/GM builds. It's not unreasonable to see what real world performance is like from people using the public release now that it's available...for those that have trouble contributing without the pretentious comments.

8. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I'm just trying to help. Not many have the time to look through 5 pages. It's easier for me since I posted my results there and I'm not going to rewrite them here when my shift starts in 5 hours. There's nothing wrong with my GM build results. It's comparable to yours. And your welcome.

9. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but it would have been just as easy to say, "Hey. I started a similar thread here {link} which might answer your question." The snarky page 5 reference wasn't necessary. And I never said anything was wrong with your GM build results, but Apple can adjust things between the GM release and the final. Likely? No. Possible? Yes. Why can't I ask the general public what they are seeing, now that it's publicly released? I appreciate the fact that you already did this test and I thank you for your input.

10. Bredle macrumors newbie

I used Apple maps for a 25 mile, 30 minute trip with navigation and it used 477kb. I used it in the Metro Detroit area.

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I use it once or twice a week and haven't seen any significant rise in my data plan (200 mb as I'm on wifi everywhere).

I previously used navigon with traffic but they have been absolutely peeving me. It's next to impossible to store a device and not have to redo navigon.

That said I don't use traffic data o pn apple maps, if it exists. And it's certainly not as feature rich as other apps...however unscientific ally it seems to use a whole lot less battery.

Sorry for the resurrection. Just wanted to post an experience after six weeks or so.