How much do you spend a year on Apple products?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cricketman, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Thought that this would be a fun to see how much I am truly spending per year on apple products.

I am currently on a 4 year cycle for my main laptop (MacBook Pro, 13", mid level storage option). Costs about $1300 with the student discount. This is $325/year.

I upgrade my iPhone every two years. I purchase the mid-level iPhone Plus sized model. Including apple care, I just pulled the trigger for one this morning clocking in at $998 (ouch), or $499/year

My iPad update schedule is a little more sporadic. It began with the original iPad, then the iPad 3rd gen, and I skipped a whole lot of generations before going to the iPad Pro 9.7". This is my favorite apple product so far (having not yet experienced the 7+ however) so I anticipate that I may get on a regular upgrade cycle at some point. Let us assume three years for now. The 128GB model was 699/3=233/year.

So, not including accessories (such as expensive ones such as the Apple pencil, keyboard, and back case for IPP), I am spending 1057 on Apple hardware per year of use. In addition, I give them 10 bucks a month for apple music (+120), an extra buck a month for 50GB of iCloud storage (+12). So a shade under $1200 a year.

Interesting to see that the phone is def the most expensive of all at 500 a year. I think I will try to keep the laptop longer, as it is pretty rock solid and should last closer to the six year range. New Apple products are just so tempting though, and have an uncanny ability to make older generations look like total POS!! :p

2. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I don't spend much on apple products every year.

My rMBP was purchased in 2014 new before then my MBP was from 2009. I update my phone every two years, I just updated today with 7. As for iPad, I have an air 2 that i got last year but before then I had an iPad 3 that I had for maybe 3 years. I haven't had an iPod touch since the second gen and I've had a few iPods sporadically over the years before then. Basically, I only spend when I need it or feel necessary for a change. Since I don't remember how much I spent at the time I can only go base off this year and that i've spent $869 this year for the new phone ...oh and maybe $50 for a new apple leather case if I decide to go that direction when I receive the phone.

3. Zenithal Suspended

$0 in many years now. I find my revolving expenses included services like Spotify, Netflix, Prime, et al.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I spent 2k on an iMac in 2015, and before that was 2012 when I spent a lot for a MBP. Since 2012, I'd buy a new phone every other year (on subsidy), so I can't say I spend a lot but I will say my thinks I spend too much :)

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Not much. An iPhone every 2-3 years & Apple Music.

However I am looking into getting a new MacBook & Apple Watch, so those numbers will go up.

6. kryten42 macrumors 6502

kryten42

Varies a lot for me. Get iPhone every year, but on continual upgrade plan so not really noticing it as a straight up capital expenditure, more feels like a service now.

My rMBP is a late 2013, so may get upgraded next year, it will be company provided most likely though (so probably lower spec than my current one was :( ). My iPad is an air 2, and no rush to upgrade to pro series right now, don't use it enough. Not got a watch (other half has, but no rush to get series 2). Apple TV is still a Gen3 (although may get gen 4 at some point), iMac is a late 2009 and still going strong (i7 quad, 16GB RAM, dedicated GFX, SSD) and mac mini is only used as a server/jump box so no need to upgrade at all.

There really hasn't been much in the way of compelling reasons to upgrade, the Apple stuff has been so reliable and supported that I have not needed to upgrade.

If I averaged over say 5 years, they it is probably around $1k/year, but it all comes in big batches.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It varies.

As far as computers are concerned, my cycle is determined by Applecare; that means I upgrade a few months before it expires.

My iPads I gave away (one to each brother), as I never liked them; my iPods - discontinued - are still used by me, daily.

I don't have an iPhone, though that may change, as I may invest in an iPhone SE later this year.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Average since 2008 - $215.11

Not including the amount I pay on contract and the ETF my dad talked me into paying so he could have my 5S since he didn't want the bigger phones coming from a on its last legs 4. o_O

2010 - iPhone 4
    2011 - 13" MacBook Pro
    2012 - iPad Mini and iPod Nano
    2014 - iPhone 5s
    2015 - iPhone 6s Plus

9. Tech198, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

$0 here pretty much... My trend of buying Apple products ended last year... I'm no long the happy camper i once was...

Besides, "if it ain't broke, why replace it"

I spend more on services than hardware, and that's telling

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This year, I've spent nothing yet, however...
    My MBP is 5 years old: $2400/5=$450 (getting ready to replace it with a new one).
    Wife's MacBook air is about 3 years old which should be good for 6 years, maybe more. She lives on here iPad, say $140 per year.
    Our iPhone 5s are 2 years old (I think) approx $600. We'll probably keep these for 4-5 years =$150.
    Wife's iPad is 2 years of old and my iPad 2 is about 5 years old. My guess I'll end up replacing mine soon, but it's working great right now. Whatever that works out to per year. :)

11. Micky Do, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

An average of about $166 a year over the past 11 years, since I got my first Apple product, a Mac Mini in 2005. In all about 64,200 baht / $US1,825 over the past 11 years or so. Or, to look at it another way, a bit over two month's pay.
    • 27,000 baht for a Mac Mini and a keyboard in 2005.
    • 34,000 Baht for a new Mac Mini, a new keyboard (small wired), iWork and an upgrade to Snow Leopard in 2009.
    • 700 baht for an upgrade to Mountain Lion in 2012.
    • 2,500 on a large wired keyboard (Thai/English version) earlier the is year, 2016.
    • Zilch on iDevices (Pod/Pad/Phone/Watch). I have neither need nor desire for any.
    Cost of ownership of my 2009 Mac Mini has been 4,000 baht for a clean out and an additional 4 GB of RAM in 2012, and 1,500 baht for a clean out in 2015, all up 5,500 baht / about $155. I reckon I'll get another couple of years or so out of the 2009 Mini before I replace it.

OP…. It might be interesting to make a poll of this topic.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

In the 2000s:

2011 2010 white MacBook, no longer working $500 used
    2014 2012 Mac Mini $550 new
    2015 2015 15" MBP $2299 new
    2015 2012 13" non retina MBP $700 new
    2015 iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+
    2016 Nothing

I don't plan on buying any new Macs till these quit working. There is no need to upgrade computers every year.