How much do you think the iPad 2 will cost?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

For the bottom of the barrel 16gb wifi only?

Im hoping somewhere around 499 as that's about my limit if it's 6 I'll probably just get 1st gen

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Probably about the same as the current generation.

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hopefully, I mean wouldn't 599 be ridiculous for a 16gb version?

4. King Luis macrumors 6502

first, they will up the base ipad to at least 32gb memory and scrap the 16gb.
    2, they will price them slightly cheaper, probably $50.
    c, they have been doing this with macbooks, ipods, and iphones.

5. AML225 macrumors regular

I disagree. They will (obviously) upgrade all models so the current price that the iPad is selling at will seem more justified. Since these things are already selling so well at their current price point it doesn't make sense for apple to decrease the price.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So you thin they'll discontinue the 16GB? That's be nice.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I'm thinking a new 16gb will be the same price point with the old 16gb dropping to $399.

8. muu macrumors member

Will definitely be interesting to see how pricing turns out.

I doubt they'll drop the $499 pricetag for the lowest tier, if they have to keep the 16GB available to achieve that that is probably what they will do. My guess, it'll be the same (similar) price tier but at 16(32)/64/128GB.

9. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

What is with people wanting them to discontinue or not sell a 16gb? screw you guys lol

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It all depends on the market Apple are after.

They don't normally go after the mass market too much with their computers, but perhaps they may wish to this time?

It's a given fact that there are way more people who can't justify the price of an iPad than can justify the price.

I know we can tend to forget such things on these forums :)

Over 310 million people in the USA alone, so still a large market out there.

If Apple don't scoop a lower price level of users up, then Android will in time.

I'd love to see great high end models packed with goodies, but I'd also like to see Apple make a base, level entry model that did all the basics but was build to be as cheap as they can make it. Perhaps a plastic body?

Just something to get people onto the ladder as it were.

But as I say, Apple don't usually do that, preferring to stay at the higher end and let others go for the lower end mass market.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

16GB isn't very much space at all.. I have about 1.6GB left on my iPhone 4 and I would plan on placing a helluva lot more on an iPad. A discontinued 16GB and new 128GB would be perfect.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why does it matter that they discontinue the 16GB if the new 32GB is at the same price point?

13. jodie77 macrumors newbie

I read somewhere that it will start off at 599

14. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Apple has not in the past 5 years, maybe even before that as well, ever increased the price of a new device that replaced another. For instance Unibody White Macbook vs Old White Macbook, or iPod Touch 1 to iPod Touch 4.

However old items get cut down in price and sold as refurbished at a much lower price as well.
    I would expect the same price points subsidized for the tiers of storage:
    if line of iPad 2's are 32/64/128 GB then it will be 499/599/699
    if its the same 16/32/64 then it will be 499/599/699

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

It will be $1,999.00. There, now you can tell people that you read it will start at $1,999.00.

16. jazziethomas macrumors member

I think it would cost a little bit higher than the 1st gen for as we all know apple is not really into lowering their products prices.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I may be wrong but I thought I read everyone was moaning about the price of the Mac Mini?

Supposed to be the cheap end Mac for those who could not afford a BIG machine, but that idea had been killed off due to it's price rising and rising?

The cheapest Mac Mini in the UK is £600

Which is $933 for the cheapest machine.

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm guessing the new one will be set at the same price point as the current iPad when it's released.

19. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Entirely dependent on what hardware Apple put in IMO. If it's a camera / memory bump / processor change and that's about it then I'd expect prices to be the same as now, possibly with a slightly cheaper 16Gb version. However if, by some miracle, Apple comes up with a major screen upgrade (still don't think we're at that point this year, both in cost of screen and avaialble power from mobile processors and GPU's) I'd expect prices to rise a little bit.

Ultimately I don't see a major price hike in the offering simply because of the increased competition and Apple's reported high sales expectations for 2011. But really none of us will know until Apple take the stage.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Again..........

And I'll say it again and again till it happens, which I'm sure it will :D

Apple, at some point, need to have a range, or at least 2 different iPad versions.

It makes no sense to have 1 iMac model, or one MacBook model, and it "Will" make no sense to have one iPad model.

You will have customers who just want a low end model to read books, email, web, contacts, notes and perhaps just a few apps along with some music.

And these people will jump for the best priced option, and unless Apple do something, in perhaps 12 or 18 months time, the obvious choice for them will be a Low end Honeycomb tablet, of which there will be plenty.

On the other hand you will have others, some of us here, that want a higher end model, with bells and whistles and can run some "then" heavyweight apps with more ease.

I don't really see this as terrible in a fragmentation way, after all, different OSX machine from Apple run the same software at different speeds.

3D Raytraced Modelling / AutoCad programs on a MacBook Air for example.

I know it's nice to have just the 1 model, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

Either you price it too high so you lose the low end market, or you keep the price on the affordable side and then you can't really use the best parts as they would push the price of the device higher.

iPad and iPad Pro perhaps :)

Again, I'm sure this will happen, I'm just not sure when it will.

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're not going to find anyone disagreeing with you. This is a new segment of the market and Apple, as well as its competitors, needs time to feel it out. You will see different classes of Apple tablets in coming years - doesn't really require psychic ability to figure that out.

22. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I think they'll continue to sell the iPad 1 at 16gb as an entry level model then sell the iPad 2 as 32 and 64gb+ only

23. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I can deal with $599 as long as a) it either starts with a 32gb or 3G baseline and b) they dont screw over UK buyers

24. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Don't they always?

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Remember the UK has it's VAT going up to 20% in the new year.

For American's here, that's 20% Sales Tax.

Fancy that do you?

And that's AFTER you have paid about 25% - 30% of your actual wages away in Tax (Income tax and National insurance) to the state which gets taken from you automatically.

:(