How much do you think the iPod Touch 6G will be?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipodtouch4ever, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ipodtouch4ever macrumors newbie

I'm hoping the cheapest one won't be priced at $299 again as that's one of the reason people didn't buy the iPod Touch 5G. I'm hoping it will be priced around $249 or lower. The price gap between the iPod Touch and iPad Mini shouldn't be too close as it is now. I have an iPod Touch 4G right now and I really hope to buy the 6G once it comes out, but I will be discouraged to buy it if the starting price is $299 again.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Touch 6 (32GB / 64GB this fall. 16GB in 2015)

32GB $299
    64GB $399

3. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

8GB no cam = $199
    16GB w cam=$299

If they upgrade cams and screens and processors, I'd suspect this is about the pricing structure.

If they cheap out and keep the camera around the same, the processor only one step up, and the screen the size of the iPhone, it might be slightly cheaper... $249 best case scenario.

The other iPods lines are almost dead, but the iPT will be the one they use to get serious cash from enthusiasts. It won't ever become sub-$199 until market forces change or tech stalls.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

8gb in 2014/15? No way. I suspect 16gb will be the lowest available anywhere with 32gb possibly being the lowest for iPad maybe.

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Maybe not.

NEVER be surprised about what you might get in low-end, low-prestige Apple products.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Bigger storage would get more people downloading music and games from iTunes. I hear a lot of people managing their storage because they are close to max capacity

7. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

what is the sales figure of Touch 5?

If Ipod not irrelevant anymore then we might not see Touch 6.

8. Daniel120201 macrumors newbie

I'd say a $249 16GB version with camera at launch is possible

9. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

The whole iPod line accounted for 1% of Apple income this quarter, and iPod sales have been rapidly declining the last five years. Since $167 is the average of every iPod sale, the iPod touch accounts for much less than 1% of Apple sales.

I hope to see a 6th iPod touch, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't make one.

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Well, they shouldn't make one if they gonna price it $299 or $229 with no camera. Tim "bloodsucking" Cook.

11. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Tim Cook runs the company well. Steve Jobs was the one who created and priced the 5th gen iPod touch, which was released one year after his death.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It would be the same price as the 5G now. If you have such a problem for paying for them at that price, then just buy refurbished. That's how I could afford a 64GB model.

13. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

14. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Last year, Apple products were updated during a couple times in the last part of the year. It would make sense for Apple to not update its products all at once because of supply chain costs, component costs, and sales. Perhaps Apple will further spread out product updates throughout the year. Rumors claim that the MacBook Air will be updated next week, the iPad Air will be updated earlier than the mini, an iPad pro and 5.5" iPhone will pushed back to next year, and the iPod won't be updated this year. The 5.5" iPhone, iPad pro, and new iPod touch could be released in the first part of next year.

15. ipodtouch4ever, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

ipodtouch4ever thread starter macrumors newbie

How long would you say it would take for refurnished iPod Touches to be available for sale after the new version is released?

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree. I highly doubt that there will be a 6th gen. The 5th gen will continue to be sold however.

As for the idea of "keeping the iPod Touch around as an entry into the Apple ecosystem for kids" if that was ever true, that time has passed... during the downward slide in iPod Touch sales over the past 4 years Apple has done nothing to revitalize sales.

17. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

4-6 months

18. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

They will most likely do SOMETHING with the iPod Touch for at least one more generation, but no one should expect much.

It could be as small as color changes, it could be a minor processor bump, screen size increase, or whatever. The rest of the iPod line will probably do nothing more than change colors and price from here onward.

Too many people believe the iPT will get some amazing processor boost. The iPT is now a secondary or even tertiary Apple device with minor sales, compared to the rest of their product lines. We might see a small processor boost, but not a lot of extra care.

The 6th generation will probably be a last generation. Who knows; perhaps Apple will find a reason to revive interest in it later in the decade. Probably not.

19. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

At this time two years ago, the year the iPod touch 5th gen was released, iPod sales comprised over 5% of Apple's revenue. Now, iPod sales have rapidly decreased down to 1% of Apple's revenue. This is the time of reckoning for the iPod touch. Apple will either try to revive sales by updating it with current specs, or will let it continue to slide into obsolescence.

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I bought a used 4s in mint condition for cheaper and use that instead.

21. Scott549 macrumors regular

After reading that Apple might not even update the iPod Touch this year, it has gotten me thinking that it might make more sense just to get a phone and forget about the iPod Touch. I currently have a 4th generation 64gb model almost filled with music. I could get something like a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and add a 64gb micro sd card. This would serve as a music player with a much faster processor than the iPod, as well as a phone, and I could get a cheap prepaid phone plan.

22. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

That's what I do. I have old android devices all over the place and they're better music players anyway because they have global, customizable graphic eq so the music pops!

23. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if there'll be a 6th gen.
    If there was going to be one, I'd assume a similar price model to now with reduced prices if the 5G or a budget iPod.

24. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

That's about as concise as can be written.

Their actions this year will show if the iPod Touch will be something tagging onto the iPad line or if it will be slowly let go across the end of the decade. As a camera, it is brilliant and useful, but Apple might not pursue that sliver of the market.

iPods will definitely stay for a while longer. They will just be stagnant technology and lack development.

25. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

16GB $229 no back camera
    32GB $299
    64GB $399

----------

By the way, the starting price of the iPod touch is $229...