how much $$$ do you waste evey year ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 124c41, Jan 15, 2010.

1. 124c41 macrumors member

i just realized this am that i was spending $4.46 every morning for breakfast on my way out to town...
    that works out to $1628.00 a year if i don't get an extra item with the meal...
    ate at home, it cost me $1.24 for what i made...
    $1175.00 difference for the year average...
    lets say you go thu a 2 ltr rotgut a day , $1.82 x 365 = $665.00 a year...
    $4.20 a pack cigs x 365= $1533.00
    a 6 pack of beer at $5.30 x 365 = $1935.00...
    no wonder so many people are broke !
    think how many macs you could buy with the money wasted on those fags and brewskis !

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

And here I thought after reading your post you were trying to avoid wasting money.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I don't smoke or drink excessively, I waste plenty of money I'm sure. I don't really think I want to know the extent of it as it would probably make me cry.;)

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Define "waste". If I enjoy it, it's not a waste to me.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I waste thousands of dollars every year in taxes.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Exactly. If you enjoy having a cold one or lighting up a smoke, (health issues aside) then I wouldn't consider that a waste of money. Guilty pleasure maybe but not a waste.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Well said - I agree, for the most part.

Although, that being the case and all, I'm still pretty strict with myself over what I purchase based the priority of the item I desire. I spend very, very little, regardless of it's desirability. I'm no tightwad, just very picky with my finances.

9. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

2008 I wasted $7.42, 2009 I wasted $12.57, this year I'm amongst the ranks of the great unemployed, so I'll have to really cut back on my wasteful spending.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

$100 or more a month on cable or sat...plenty of free stuff over the air for the viewing...and subscription or iTunes/AppleTV allows you to watch for a fraction of the cost of a full sat or cable investment. If you can stand Hulu or the other online sources...you can watch programs and movies for free.

$5-10 per day for lunch....cut that back to 1-2 bucks/day if you brown bag it.

Having landline AND cell phone(s)....could be 25-75 bucks there depending on your needs.

Slowing down just 5 mph and keeping your tires inflated properly could eliminate one fill-up a month depending on your commute. My tank takes about $35 at current prices.

Since I cut back on the above-mentioned things late last year, I save about $250-300 a month. 3000-ish a year. :)

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you enjoy it too much, you define wasted. ;)

Money spent on excessive consumption goes right to the waist.
    Food is cheap in the U.S. 34% are obese, 67% overweight.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That adds up to a 101% and come on it is not that bad. A lot of people are at considered normal weight or underweight in the US. Now they are out number by the overwieght and Obese people.

I personal weight weight is 155 lb +/- 3lb. I am 6'-4". In BMI numbers I sit right on the edge of normal and underwieght.

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ha

Classic. I feel that.

I dont want to think about how much $$$ I spend that I ought to save...

I'm starting a savings account. Tomorrow :p

14. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I assume that the 34% falls within the 67%, since being obese also makes you overweight. It's just a classification within overweight.

So, 2/3 of people are overweight, and half of those are past some point where it's probably noticeably bad for their health.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Obese people are also in the overweight category. So it's not saying that '101%' of Americans are overweight. The categories overlap.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm good with money but I have got games and DVDs in my library that I've not even used yet. I've paid over the asking price for a few rare games that I haven't even bothered with, but I mostly bought them because their prices would only go up when I did want to play them.
    And cinema food. I've been getting lazy and buying cinema popcorn. It cost me and my girlfriend about £25 for popcorn and 2 tickets for Sherlock Holmes. :mad:

17. addaminsane macrumors member

addaminsane

At this stage in my path to maturity, prolly about 50% of my income, which is just about everything apart from living expenses and school.

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I used to waste alot of money on my cell phone bill. It's always over $100 / month for some reason.

Now my work pays for it. :p

19. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

lets just say i can afford 10 play station 3's per year.:p

20. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What they said ^. I'm glad it's not that bad though. I'll call ABC News and tell them you said their data is wrong. I'm sure they will broadcast a retraction tomorrow.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

+1. If the money increases the happiness of either me or people around me, it's never a waste.

22. Queso macrumors G4

At the end of November I stopped drinking Starbucks and appear to now have about £100 a month more in my pocket. It's amazing how those lattes and granola bars mount up.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm horrible with money. This may be due to the fact that I've only been working my first 'real' job for 4 months, and I'm just getting all this spending out of my system by buying what I want. This includes a lot of small things that I probably don't need, but really want.

Also, I just moved countries and bought lots of things (i.e. furniture, speakers, a Wii) I had at home that I really liked (but not enough to pack).

Once I have settled down on the random small purchases that I needed and wanted to buy, I hope I start saving money more seriously. :eek:

24. Gregg2 macrumors 603

To save money: Tell your bank to transfer a set amount to a savings account on the same day each month. Make yourself a reminder in iCal to enter the transfer in your passbook and checkbook so you don't have an overdraft.

This works like a charm; forces you to save. It's also a good strategy for putting away funds for those annual or semi-annual bills.

Once you've got that licked, and have paid for your car, increase the amount by the amount of your car payment. If you don't, you'll spend that money. If you do, you'll be saving for your next car.

Eventually, you'll have enough to pay cash for a new car. This is far better than paying double for it because of interest. (In fact, if the dealer is offering zero interest or $1500 off, you're still better off paying cash. In other words, take the $1500 - it's free!)

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think my record for savings was about 48% of my paycheck. Otherwise my average is around 33%.