How much does Lion cost if you don't have Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Toe, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Everyone is so excited about how Lion is only $30... if you download it from the App Store. What if you don't? Is there any mention anywhere of how much it costs otherwise?

I have a computer I never bothered to upgrade from Leopard, so it doesn't have the App Store. If I want to put Lion on it, how much will it cost?

Will I have to buy Snow Leopard for it first? Seems kinda stupid to have to run it through a whole OS upgrade just so I can... run it through another OS upgrade.

I am assuming Apple will also have a DVD version of Lion, but I haven't seen any indication of cost. If it's more than $60, then I guess I do have to do the stupid double upgrade.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple said that Lion will be available only through Mac App Store. Whether there will be a DVD/USB version is pure speculation and Apple's talks indicate that there won't.

Your only option seems to be to buy SL and then upgrade to Lion.

3. Wormald macrumors regular

You have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first, before you can install the App Store, and all indications suggest Lion will be an App Store only download.

So the cost will be Snow Leopard + Lion cost - ~$60.

4. simsaladimbamba

Currently there is not any other known way (unless you go the illegal route), as Lion seems to be not available on any other medium than the MAS.

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

can't you just get a SL upgrade disc for $30 and then an appstore purchase for lion for $29? together this would still be under $60.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, it's more like a triple upgrade, 'cause you have to update to 10.6.8 (which isn't on the retail DVDs) after installing Snow Leopard from the retail DVD, THEN install Lion. What a pain.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a Snow Leopard upgrade as it's only available as a full version but at that price. Essentially you get a full version just like with Lion when it's available.

I do think Apple should make Lion available on DVD even if it's for a higher retail price. I suspect however their motive for only offering it on the Mac app store is to promote the store and get everyone using it.

8. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Go to your friend, give him/her 30 bucks and ask him/her to buy it for you in app store, take it on usb and do a clean install.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Technically the cheap version of snow leopard is only supposed to be used as an upgrade from Leopard, not that there is anything stopping you besides the EULA. But for the OP, unless something changes and Apple decides to sell physical copies of Lion the only way is to buy snow leopard, upgrade to 10.6.8, and then buy lion from the app store.

10. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

I don't think so, i think they are doing it that way because it is more green way to do it.

11. Toe, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

Great. So all I have to do is spend about a day running upgrades on my computer so that Apple can accomplish their goal of sucking me into the App Store.

Well, what I am hearing is that I need to buy Snow Leopard so that I can use it for a few hours, after which it is garbage. Doesn't sound very green.

I agree with Mr.C that they are just trying to force everyone to opt into the App Store, so they can have draconian control (a word they expressly said would never apply to them).

If that's the case, I think it's time we all take another look at Free Software like Linux.

12. ergotoo, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

ergotoo macrumors newbie

Don't know if you're in the US but in the States we sometimes say "green" to mean money....the color of the very weak and sick US paper currency, so yeah, I'd say that OS 7 is download only because that method will quickly generate more money for Apple, and "money" is what Apple is all about , as usual.;)
    I also would agree with those who say that the download only method is a way for Apple to force the AppStore on Mac users.
    Toe, above, said it like it is when he used the term "Draconian Control".
    I just do not like the way Apple is headed....it reflects, unfortunately, what amounts to a fascist mindset.

13. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Linux is power-user friendly, your average joe would cry

14. Wormald macrumors regular

15. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

17. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Even better, use your own iTunes account on the friend's Mac to purchase Lion, and then you'll be running your own copy of the OS instead of someone else's.

18. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

But then you have to factor in the cost of friends! imo, just buy Snow Leopard then get Lion, it's cheaper!

19. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

What do you mean? To pay a friend because he let you to use your account on his machine so you could get your copy of lion?

20. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

No, the cost of beer that he or she drinks

21. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Hahaha, yeah i know, in this case i think it means both.

22. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

1) I agree.

2) You are 100% correct beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I think that once they've forced users to buy via the App Store and they've hit their sales targets, they may cave into the temptation to make even more money and release it on DVD for those who demand it. If it's a matter of making money, Apple takes the bait every time.

23. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Don't all companies? I'm no Business/Management major but isn't that how companies stay in business?

24. martosprint macrumors 6502

My view is to some of these posters is that if you kept your operating system up to date when anything new comes out you wouldn't have to worry about updating one to another to another. Just keep everything up to date makes the most sense. 

25. strubinstein macrumors member

Are there any apple stores near you? If so, couldn't you just take it in there and have them do it? I'm sure they would have a way...