How much free RAM do you have on iOS7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MartinAppleGuy, Sep 29, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

How much free ram do you have in iOS 7? Post bellow the amount of free RAM you have and what device you are running on. Also state what you are using to determine your free RAM (the app name; eg- battery saver, battery doctor...).

I have 380Mb of free RAM on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.2.

2. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

How do you test/know that? Where can you see the RAM totals?

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have found battery doctor to be very accurate. There is also activity monitor apps in the App Store for free.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but what value is knowing the free ram of your iOS device. I assume, like OSX (since iOS was based on OSX) free ram = wasted ram.

5. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I want to know the free RAM while only running the OS, that way I know how much RAM is available for apps. I feel that it is silly to put more power in a device so you can add many more things to say a game (higher res. textures or more on-screen) but are not able to because the OS is hogging all the RAM. This appears to be the case with iOS 7. It is taking up almost as much RAM as Windows Vista, and the devices only have 1Gb of RAM. The iPhone 5 has around 380Mb which sould be enough for most apps but iOS7 on an iPad 4, you only have <200Mb free. So thats more that 4/5's of your available RAM is eaten up by the OS, and that won't budge. I so hope that Apple put 2Gb of RAM in to the iPad 5...

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My thoughts exactly when I saw this thread. And as you state: Free ram is wasted so I also wondered what is the value in posting it ?

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Actually my iPhone 5 now has 612 mb ....
    Slightly less for my iPad 4 : 530-570 Mb.
    I use SYS-activity to monitor

8. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The OS on an iPad 4 is eating up so much of the RAM, that it is bringing down other apps.

I want to know the free RAM while only running the OS, that way I know how much RAM is available for apps. I feel that it is silly to put more power in a device so you can add many more things to say a game (higher res. textures or more on-screen) but are not able to because the OS is hogging all the RAM. This appears to be the case with iOS 7. It is taking up almost as much RAM as Windows Vista, and the devices only have 1Gb of RAM. The iPhone 5 has around 380Mb which sould be enough for most apps but iOS7 on an iPad 4, you only have <200Mb free. So thats more that 4/5's of your available RAM is eaten up by the OS, and that won't budge. I so hope that Apple put 2Gb of RAM in to the iPad 5...

----------

Really! That is not bad. I will try that. I believe what I am using must be inaccurate or not accounting for something. Thank you for the reply :)

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Your conclusions are wrong. Not having any apps in the app switcher is not the same as having freed the maximum amount of RAM. A freshly rebooted iPhone 5 has over 700 MB RAM free. Not even heavy games use more than a couple of hundred MBs each. Being able to switch between three heavy games without needing to free any RAM isn't really bad, is it?

10. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Well I thank you for this information :) Are you running iOS 7 though after a fresh boot to get 700Mb?

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Try to watch for the free ram available just after a full reboot and I think you're going to discover values similar to mine.

12. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

And just out of curiosity; if the next iPad was able to handle console quality games(PS3 level); how much RAM would a game like that need?

----------

So with your iPad having less RAM (and that war iOS 7 right?), do you feel the iPad 5 will have 2Gb of RAM?

I just found it pointless when they only put 1 Gb of RAM in the 5S as they gave the 5S 64bit processing as a future thing(so in three years, all idevices will be 64bit), yet it only has one Gb of RAM so it is not like it would handle iOS 9/10 very well anyway.

13. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you have a Mac? Download XCode, connect your phone, use Instruments to track any and all information you want.

Just remember the phone releases RAM when it needs it, and having little RAM free isn't the same as risking a slow phone, but the exact opposite - it speeds it up.

14. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have a Mac. I will try that the next time I have a chance. Is it one the App Store?

And I get what your saying, I think it was my fault; I have worded my question wrong. I want to know how much RAM is free for apps i.e. how much memory can an app eat up before the OS force quits it. I would hope 600+

15. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

That is my fault; my question was worded wrong. What I meant was how much memory can a single app have on iOS 7 before it is force quit by the OS?

16. hafr macrumors 68030

More than any app you'll find in the App Store within at the very least a few years, unless it has a memory leak.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If it is set up new with zero accounts logged in etc yep.

Folks forget about notifications, push email, fetching etc. Those things aren't always tied to a currently open app but they do take up ram.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You would be surprised to know that ps3 has less memory than your iPad ...

I think iPad 5 will be 1 Gb as iPad 5 and iPhone 5s.
    We're going to see 2 Gb maybe in the next generation next year.

----------

Negative, my values are related at a fully working iPhone 5 and iPad 4, with 3 email configured ...

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

WOW, 3Gb more than the A6 or A7 even has.:eek:

20. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Some custom Overhaulin. :)

21. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

22. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thank you :)

23. nas2344 macrumors regular

24. MartinAppleGuy, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Battery memory system Status monitor. Use this and it will tell you your ram usage. Post your free ram here with the device you are on and the OS(iOS 7, 6, 5...).

----------

Also feel free to post your gaming performance on your device.