How much have you spent on your iPad so far?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ipadlover29, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I initially planned to spend about a $1000 on my iPad 2 including some accessories, apps, games and taxes. So far Ive spent over $1200 and I plan to spend another $100 or so.

Heres my list so far:

iPad 2 64GB wifi black - $815
    HDMI Cable for adapter - $34
    Apple AV adapter - $51
    Switch Easy Canvas - $65
    Apple Black Leather Smart Cover - $35
    Rain Design iRest Stand - $68
    Fling Game Controllers 2 pack - $34
    Switch Easy Cover Buddy - $40 (on order)

Power Support Anti-Glare - $40 (going to purchase soon)

$85 on apps and games

All prices are in Canadian dollars and usually include our hefty 13% sales tax.

2. BurningJah macrumors regular

I say be glad it's only 13%! I live in Belgium and it's 21%! I don't know if VAT is the same as sales tax. So I will excuse me beforehand

I only spend 699€ 32gb wifi + 3G

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

iPad1 - New from Apple on launch day, standard price.
    Official Apple case - Second hand, half official price.
    £60 ($100 USD) on apps - Using iTunes vouchers I bought on special offer for £40 ($65 USD)

I refuse to be suckered in to buying MASSIVELY overpriced accessories, which Apple make a killing on.

4. GP_1, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

GP_1 macrumors regular

iPad 2 16 GB - 499$
    Black Smart Cover - 59$
    Games - 30$ ( estimate )

Not to much thus far. Plan on getting a lot more accessories though.

5. Plasmolyze macrumors newbie

iPad 16gb $499.99
    iPad case $13
    So far haven't spent any money on apps because I'm waiting for Monday's sale

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

iPad 2 32GB WiFi - $599
    Black leather smart cover - $59
    Carbon Fiber Stealth Armor - $30
    Anti-glare screen protector - $10
    Apps - $200+

Enjoyment provided - Priceless

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

$499 for the iPad
    $39 for the smart cover which was a complete waste. Apple should leave the accessories to the professionals and just stick to hardware and software.
    $39 for the Toblino 2 which should be coming in Monday

$0 for apps, lol I'm never buying apps

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

$0. I want one, but I just don't need one. Too many machines/devices to manage already. Maybe next year...after something else croaks!

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If the day comes when there are no free apps anymore, you'll still not buy any apps? :confused: :eek: LOL! :p

10. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I got none of that.

Just downloaded Solitaire (free) and for $1.99 after the Japan earthquake, I bought Street Fighter IV (all of the proceeds went to help the earthquake disaster).

That's it...I'm really not an app person. I use my iPad to surf the web.

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

iPad black 64GB wifi only - 679€
    SwitchEasy Canvas - 50€
    HDMI adapter - 35€
    Apps - I don't even want to know (but I have an iPhone and quite a few are universal)
    Playing around with my cable and case, while waiting for my iPad to arrive - Priceless :D

12. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

iPad 2 - £479

Switcheasy Canvas - £39

Boxwave Stylus - £10

Apps - Around £20

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Something I need to ask.

How do you manage to mentally get over the fact that you know full well you are being ripped off on accessory pricing?

I genuinely have real difficulty, if not find it totally impossible to pay much much more than something is obviously worth. To the point I just cannot buy it.

I see say something made of plastic, not hand made, but mass produced by the millions that I know should only cost say $5 maximum, on sale for lets say $30 or $40 and I just can't bring myself to part with my money for it.

Something stops me.

I don't mind paying any amount for any product, but I have to, feel inside, that it's in some way actually worth the money I'm paying.

15. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

iPad 2 64GB 3G-$829
    Incase book jacket-$59
    Powersupport Screen Protector-$30
    Apps- $48

Total: Around $1,050 with tax

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Looking at your signature and then you saying all this makes me laugh. How many controllers do you have for each one of your gaming systems? You think each one of those are really worth $40-$80? Obviously, nothing stops you from buying mass produced plastic junk.

17. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You got a black smart cover for $35 also.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

and why is that? Why would you spend $499 on something and not be willing to shell out a dollar here and there to augment your experience? Do you pirate your apps or simply buy the free ones? Do you believe software is worthless or that developers don't deserve to earn money for their work?

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Amiga was second hand and VERY cheap ;)

N64 was second hand, long after they were popular and extra controllers only a few dollars each.

Dreamcast was bought in an end of line sale as they were clearing them out.

XBox 360 I managed to buy a second controller in an online sale for about half price

PS3 I only have the one controller it came with.

I love bargains :)
    As I say, I love love LOVE buying something when it's obviously on special offer or end of line clearance sale, or some other reason.

If I feel it's worth it, then I'm happy to pay any price.

In the UK, the iPhone4 bumper case is £26 ($41 including sales tax)

There is no way in a million years I can accept one loop of rubbery plastic that should cost $5 and probably costs 50c to make can be worth over $40 dollars.

Hence I honestly could never buy one.

20. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I live in the east midlands and I also use eBay as much as possible, but when it comes to certain things I stick with OEM, especially on new products. I bought my iPad 2 and smart cover the day they were released. And I do have to say, I really love my smart cover. Was it worth $60? Probably not.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you fundamentally fail to understand how economic consumer choice works.

The fact of the matter is that the "cost of production" is almost totally irrelevant in consumer choices.

Say, for instance, you were dying of a disease that could be cured instantly by a certain pill. That pill retails for $100, but in actual fact the materials and labor that went into manufacturing it cost only $0.10.

Would you really feel you were being "ripped off" by the drug maker? That his one million percent profit was somehow obscene or immoral?

Or would you, instead, focus on the fact that the amount you paid ($100) was FAR, FAR LESS than the value you put on your continued existence on this mortal plane (infintite, or at least a lot more than a hundred bucks..)

Conversely, think of a luxury house built adjacent to the Chernobyl nuclear reactor. That house COST a couple of million dollars to build (its got marble bathrooms and granite countertops in the kitchen.) Do you think you are getting a good deal if you can buy it for "only" $1 million? That the seller is doing you a service by letting you buy it for a low price?

Its the same thing with Accessories, or indeed virtually any good or service. Consumers will pay what they feel the product is worth it to THEM.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know what you are saying, and yes if a $100 pill that cost 1 cent would save my life then I would pay $100 for it of course.

I'm fully aware everything costs a MASSIVE amount more than it costs to physically make, I also understand you don't just pay the factory costs, you have to pay towards the R&D and store markup etc etc.

I just have my own personal sense of what it "Resonable / Acceptable" and what is really taking the Pi$$

If something has had a fair amount of work put into it, some assembly, some electronics etc etc, then that fine. There has been a lot of work been done to get this product working, put together and into the marketplace.

I also use other stores and similar products to set the levels of what I feel is a fair price.

For example, I will go back to the iPhone Bumper.
    It's a loop of moulded rubber. It's worth practically nothing.
    It's the type of thing you would see for sale in a UK "Pound Shop" (2 dollars)

So, instantly I know it's got no real worth, but OK, it's Apple and it's moulded well, but still, I know it's pretty much got no value and costs practically nothing to make, given they are being make probably in the 100's per hour on just one automatic moulding machine.

You can buy 3rd party copies for say £3 ($5)

And let's say, I felt $5 was a good price, but because it's Apple, I'd shrug my shoulders and think, ok, well the Apple one is $10, so I know it's a ripp off, but hey it's Apple, so I'll spend $10 on it.
    But there;s just no way I could pay over $40 for one.

It's just my build it, "I can't stand being screwed over meter" that kicks in.

23. QAZWSXEDCRFV macrumors newbie

+1

Thats why apple came out with the wav over priced and useless Smartcovers? If anyones has a smart cover what do you think?

24. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

ipad 2 $599
    marware ceo case $45
    spekt matte AG shield $25
    long AC power cable $5
    6 ft usb cable $4

haven't spent any $$$ on apps or games - don't need the former (ibooks is free and does what i need) and i don't really play games on my ipad (or computer).

there's a small chance i might eventually get the hdmi adapter to stream content to my TV, but i'm much more inclined to use a laptop to do that.

25. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I could very well be wrong but I humbly think that the main reason Funkymonk do not shell out any money for paid apps is because he/she believes that he/she can easily write better apps than the ones currently on offer at the app store! :eek: :p Therefore, whatever apps Funkymonk need, he/she will just write it himself/herself. :)