How much improved is the 5s over the 4?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Assuming the 6 is >= the speed of the 5s with just a bigger screen I'm hoping to get the 6.

I had a 4 for 3 years and now a galaxy s4. The problem with these phones is that starting a program like the camera takes too long and there is lag.

How much more fast is the 5s over the 4?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Assuming the 6 is >= the speed of the 5s with just a bigger screen I'm hoping to get the 6.

I had a 4 for 3 years and now a galaxy s4. The problem with these phones is that starting a program like the camera takes too long and there is lag.

How much more fast is the 5s over the 4?
The iPhone 4 on iOS 4 and the iPhone 4S on iOS 5 weren't so far apart in performance. It was pretty close. But with each successive iOS release the iPhone 4 has really slowed down, especially with iOS 6. So the difference between the 4 and 5S now, both on iOS 7, is huge.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
The iPhone 4 at this point would be hindering to anything more than average usage IMHO. It's going to lag and just be slow with the latest OS. Not to mention the lack of LTE.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The difference is incredible. The 5s is an extremely powerful phone, while the 4 was really just a higher clocked 3GS with a new external design and screen.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
One feels like a current era smartphone and the other feels like some old tech from four years ago. They are worlds apart.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Are you lost on this conversation?
I have an iPhone 4. It's slow as mud. And with a screen so tiny I couldn't read it.
Don't grab the 5, wait just a bit and get the new one this fall. The 5's screen is still too small.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Are you lost on this conversation?
I have an iPhone 4. It's slow as mud. And with a screen so tiny I couldn't read it.
The iPhone 4 is stuck on 3G and has a single core processor.

The iPhone 4S brought dual core, SMP multi threading. This alone drastically boosted performance and brought in a new era. 5 and 5S have built on that.

You are going to see night and day performance improvement with anything 4S or newer.

I highly recommend 5/5C/5S.

Also, visit an optometrist.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
No, you have a 4 year old smartphone with water damage. Technology moves quickly whether you want to admit it or not. An iPhone 4 is getting pretty old.
No, the Galaxy S4 is only 9 months old. From the original post "I had a 4 for 3 years and now a galaxy s4. The problem with these phones is that starting a program like the camera takes too long and there is lag. "

----------

Are you posting nonsense across threads, the other thread you said you had an android and moved from iPhone.
...and which iPhone do you think I moved from since it was unusable?

----------

The iPhone 4 is stuck on 3G and has a single core processor.

The iPhone 4S brought dual core, SMP multi threading. This alone drastically boosted performance and brought in a new era. 5 and 5S have built on that.

You are going to see night and day performance improvement with anything 4S or newer.

I highly recommend 5/5C/5S.

Also, visit an optometrist.
My vision is perfect. The screen is way too tiny. Especially for texting.

Well I'm not going to get a 5 series phone since the 6 is coming out soon but good to hear they're much better.

----------

Don't grab the 5, wait just a bit and get the new one this fall. The 5's screen is still too small.
For sure. I was more curious about the speed upgrade from the 4 to the 5s since the 6 will be at least equal to or greater than the speed of the 5s. My big big issue is lag getting into a camera app. I want it to be almost instantaneous.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hubbie upgraded from a 4 to a 5c last month and really notices this difference. After he had it about 3 days he conceded that I had been right to 'persuade' him to upgrade. He loves the improvement in speed. Plus it also has retina display which I cant bear to be without now from a display point of view.

To be fair we hadn't upgraded his to iOS 7 as his old 4 was full and we were nervous it would make phone worse so that is also an upgrade for him.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No, the Galaxy S4 is only 9 months old. From the original post "I had a 4 for 3 years and now a galaxy s4. The problem with these phones is that starting a program like the camera takes too long and there is lag.
I'm having a hard time following your posts because you're switching back and forth between your iPhone 4 and Samsung GS4.

Regardless, this thread is about comparing the iPhone 4 and 5s, so I'm going to continue ignoring the fact that you have a GS4 because it isn't relevant to the question at hand.

My vision is perfect. The screen is way too tiny. Especially for texting.
I've got pretty bad vision and I have no problem reading the text on my iPhone 4s or 5s. I tend to hold my phone at 18" from my eyes. Something else is going on here if you're having issues seeing the screen. If you're saying you'd like to have a bigger screen in order to be able to fit more content, then say that.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Hubbie upgraded from a 4 to a 5c last month and really notices this difference. After he had it about 3 days he conceded that I had been right to 'persuade' him to upgrade. He loves the improvement in speed. Plus it also has retina display which I cant bear to be without now from a display point of view.

To be fair we hadn't upgraded his to iOS 7 as his old 4 was full and we were nervous it would make phone worse so that is also an upgrade for him.
The iPhone 4 also has a retina screen.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I'm having a hard time following your posts because you're switching back and forth between your iPhone 4 and Samsung GS4.

Regardless, this thread is about comparing the iPhone 4 and 5s, so I'm going to continue ignoring the fact that you have a GS4 because it isn't relevant to the question at hand.

I've got pretty bad vision and I have no problem reading the text on my iPhone 4s or 5s. I tend to hold my phone at 18" from my eyes. Something else is going on here if you're having issues seeing the screen. If you're saying you'd like to have a bigger screen in order to be able to fit more content, then say that.
I'm not switching between iPhone 4 and S4, my current phone is the S4.

Come on don't be so literal. I can read the text just fine but the screen is SO tiny it's not enjoyable all around.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm not switching between iPhone 4 and S4, my current phone is the S4.
In your original post you said:

You're talking about both the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Gs4 right there.

Well I have a current era smartphone and it's still laggy
You're talking about the GS4.

Eh it's already out of warranty because of water damage. But it's not an issue that's causing what I'm talking about.
And the GS4 again.

My point is that the thread is about the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s, why do you keep bringing up the GS4? It isn't relevant to the question.

Come on don't be so literal. I can read the text just fine but the screen is SO tiny it's not enjoyable all around.
You said you couldn't read it:

And with a screen so tiny I couldn't read it.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
In your original post you said:

You're talking about both the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Gs4 right there.

You're talking about the GS4.

And the GS4 again.

My point is that the thread is about the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s, why do you keep bringing up the GS4? It isn't relevant to the question.

You said you couldn't read it:
Yeah it's still relevant.
and
Don't be so literal.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The only thing the 4 really needed was speed. I used one for a long time. It is pitifully slow.

I bought a 4s and THAT is a huge upgrade already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.