How much improved is the 5s over the 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Jun 24, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Assuming the 6 is >= the speed of the 5s with just a bigger screen I'm hoping to get the 6.

I had a 4 for 3 years and now a galaxy s4. The problem with these phones is that starting a program like the camera takes too long and there is lag.

How much more fast is the 5s over the 4?

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

It's like night and day. The 5s has LTE and the 4 only has 3G/2G speeds. The 5s also has a bigger processor and a better camera I believe.

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4 on iOS 4 and the iPhone 4S on iOS 5 weren't so far apart in performance. It was pretty close. But with each successive iOS release the iPhone 4 has really slowed down, especially with iOS 6. So the difference between the 4 and 5S now, both on iOS 7, is huge.

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The iPhone 4 at this point would be hindering to anything more than average usage IMHO. It's going to lag and just be slow with the latest OS. Not to mention the lack of LTE.

6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The difference is incredible. The 5s is an extremely powerful phone, while the 4 was really just a higher clocked 3GS with a new external design and screen.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

One feels like a current era smartphone and the other feels like some old tech from four years ago. They are worlds apart.

8. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I have a current era smartphone and it's still laggy

9. I7guy macrumors G5

Your phone has an issue, take it back to the place of purchase for diagnosis.

10. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eh it's already out of warranty because of water damage. But it's not an issue that's causing what I'm talking about.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Then get an iPhone. Even a iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1.1 works fine.

12. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you lost on this conversation?
    I have an iPhone 4. It's slow as mud. And with a screen so tiny I couldn't read it.

13. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Don't grab the 5, wait just a bit and get the new one this fall. The 5's screen is still too small.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The iPhone 4 is stuck on 3G and has a single core processor.

The iPhone 4S brought dual core, SMP multi threading. This alone drastically boosted performance and brought in a new era. 5 and 5S have built on that.

You are going to see night and day performance improvement with anything 4S or newer.

I highly recommend 5/5C/5S.

Also, visit an optometrist.

15. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

No, you have a 4 year old smartphone with water damage. Technology moves quickly whether you want to admit it or not. An iPhone 4 is getting pretty old.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Are you posting nonsense across threads, the other thread you said you had an android and moved from iPhone.

17. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, the Galaxy S4 is only 9 months old. From the original post "I had a 4 for 3 years and now a galaxy s4. The problem with these phones is that starting a program like the camera takes too long and there is lag. "

----------

...and which iPhone do you think I moved from since it was unusable?

----------

My vision is perfect. The screen is way too tiny. Especially for texting.

Well I'm not going to get a 5 series phone since the 6 is coming out soon but good to hear they're much better.

----------

For sure. I was more curious about the speed upgrade from the 4 to the 5s since the 6 will be at least equal to or greater than the speed of the 5s. My big big issue is lag getting into a camera app. I want it to be almost instantaneous.

18. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

Hubbie upgraded from a 4 to a 5c last month and really notices this difference. After he had it about 3 days he conceded that I had been right to 'persuade' him to upgrade. He loves the improvement in speed. Plus it also has retina display which I cant bear to be without now from a display point of view.

To be fair we hadn't upgraded his to iOS 7 as his old 4 was full and we were nervous it would make phone worse so that is also an upgrade for him.

19. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I'm having a hard time following your posts because you're switching back and forth between your iPhone 4 and Samsung GS4.

Regardless, this thread is about comparing the iPhone 4 and 5s, so I'm going to continue ignoring the fact that you have a GS4 because it isn't relevant to the question at hand.

I've got pretty bad vision and I have no problem reading the text on my iPhone 4s or 5s. I tend to hold my phone at 18" from my eyes. Something else is going on here if you're having issues seeing the screen. If you're saying you'd like to have a bigger screen in order to be able to fit more content, then say that.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone 4 also has a retina screen.

21. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not switching between iPhone 4 and S4, my current phone is the S4.

Come on don't be so literal. I can read the text just fine but the screen is SO tiny it's not enjoyable all around.

22. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

In your original post you said:

You're talking about both the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Gs4 right there.

You're talking about the GS4.

And the GS4 again.

My point is that the thread is about the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s, why do you keep bringing up the GS4? It isn't relevant to the question.

You said you couldn't read it:

23. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's still relevant.
    and
    Don't be so literal.

24. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

It isn't in the context of your specific question:

You can bring it up all you want, but it is useless information when considering what you're asking.

Anyway, like I said in an earlier post, the 5s is a huge improvement over the 4.

25. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

The only thing the 4 really needed was speed. I used one for a long time. It is pitifully slow.

I bought a 4s and THAT is a huge upgrade already.