How much life does Windows XP have left?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Frisco, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am curious--because Microsoft is discontinuing support for it soon? It is simply a rock solid OS--the best OS I have ever used and I used OS X up until Tiger.

Windows 7 gets good reviews, but Windows Vista and 8 get horrible reviews.

I guess once MS officially abandons support for Win XP most companies will skip Vista and Win 8 and choose Win 7.

But my computer is very old and runs perfectly fine on XP--so why force me to upgrade. Yeah I know the $$$.

From every OS I have ever used XP is #1.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It does what it does, and it does it quickly on modern machines. I even have it in VMware for the odd time that I need to run a Windows app (even though I have a licence for 7 through work).

3. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Windows XP is dying a slow death. I wish we could save her :(

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I would be VERY cautious running XP on an internet-connected PC once MS stops updating it. Any new vulnerabilities will go un-patched.

That said, XP was nice but Win 7 is SOOO much better. I support XP and 7 at work (as well as Macs), on the same hardware 7 boots LOTS faster and just performs better overall. Since we started deploying Windows 7 our support calls have dropped dramatically with no drop in seats supported. That better stability paired with the new features that were added, 7 is just a better package.

5. iThinksimple macrumors member

iThinksimple

Windows XP is the most successfully operating system by Microsoft after Windows 98,
    and soon the Windows XP supports and updates will be discontinued by Microsoft, basically you can still using Windows XP, but yes, without any update and support from Microsoft.
    So, you don't need to upgrade to the newer Microsoft OS, if you feel more comfortable with Windows XP and believed no more threat to your PC with Windows XP OS, :)

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The next Windows should just be based on Windows XP. Modernize XP, build on that.

I must say, if Microsoft would have patched up XP really good, and add the Aero style on it, it would have made one great of a Vista OS.

7. printz macrumors regular

Windows XP is reliable, but it's 7 which brings modernity to it. I feel more productive on Windows 7, thanks to the Aero theme shortcuts and user interface features. Also, Windows 7 brings x64 support (XP may have it too, but I read it may not be so good) and some basic super-user action protection (UAC). Anyway, companies and institutions better upgrade their office computers from XP to 7, getting hacked and infected at such high level is not good.

For classic Windows games though, Windows 7 is worse than either XP or 8, probably because of the Aero Glass theme. I get that palette glitch on Windows 7, and maybe also sound latency (haven't verified this one though).

I know nothing about Vista, maybe it was it which brought whatever I said about 7.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

XP was the last Windows OS I used, and from all reports, the best. We have a Windows based media server in the house which is running 7, but that is shortly going to be replaced with a MP. I have many friends who still have XP on a partition purely for running games...It was the best and most stable windows version created. I don't mess with 7, my fiancee takes care of it as she still uses Windows for gaming.

9. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

One of the main reasons why Win XP has lasted this long was due to Vista's blunder and I still remember the time when people got their Vista machines and tried desperately to find the XP drivers to downgrade. I agree with others that XP is a fine OS and its update mechanism is still way better than Windows 7's. Try updating Win 7 when it was first installed and you'll understand. Unfortunately when Microsoft stops XP support next year, all other software and hardware vendors will also stop supporting XP, which means you can't get any new XP compatible software and hardware in the future, just like no one is selling Win 95/98 compatible new stuff anymore.

Interestingly, Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 can only run in Windows 7 and 8. Even Microsoft wants to forget the existence of Vista. Looks like only Win 7 and 8 left for people to choose after next April.

10. printz macrumors regular

Yeah, I know. It asks for updates many times in a row until it settles. A bit annoying and typical of Windows, but it's only transient, and nothing painful

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Still, it would have been much better had MS decided to release a Service Pack 2 for Windows 7.

12. marikavs macrumors member

I'll keep using XP

My XP Pro connects to the Internet (from Bootcamp) through my Snow Leopard connection. That should (continue to) be "safe."

I'm more concerned about hardware/software incompatibilities. I'll just have to keep running the old versions, I guess.

13. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I went from XP to OS X and I must say that XP is a great OS. I purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win7 about a year ago and I get the feel of XP in Win7, just more modern. Ultimately, I don't think Microsoft should cut-off support to XP, but in the end is all about them making money and "forcing" people to upgrade their OS.

14. m00min macrumors 6502

XP is ancient in computing terms. It needs taking to the knackers yard for any computers that are internet facing, but sure, use it on isolated machines that need the compatibility.

Once MS stop supporting it with patches it won't be long before a patch released for Win7 or 8 fixes bugs that can still be found in XP. It'll be a field day the hackers.

Well done MS for supporting XP for so long though, you wouldn't see Apple doing that.

15. chrfr macrumors 603

Windows XP is 12 years old. How long should a company be reasonably expected to support an operating system?

16. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

By that poster's logic, Apple should still be supporting OS X 10.1, being that it was released only a month before XP.

17. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

I expect snow leopard to be supported for a long time. Almost half of the OS X users are still on snow leopard.

18. chrfr macrumors 603

You can safely bet on Snow Leopard becoming fully unsupported as soon as 10.9 is released. Apple obviously isn't a company interested in maintaining old OSes.

19. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

How so? Will SL stop an infection from "calling home"? The VM bridges the network connection, all the same precautions of running it as the main OS should still apply. Sure, you'll be protected by the OS X firewall also but just because OS X can't be infected by Windows viruses doesn't mean that Windows running as a VM on OS X is immune to Windows viruses.

20. tdar macrumors 6502a

No one answered the original question, they just stated their opinion about XP. The answer for those who truly care is early April 2014.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

They should continue support for windows XP and stop support for Windows 8 :D

22. Judith123 macrumors member

"It has been said that Microsoft won't plane to provide Windows XP patches after April 8. 2014. However, it doesn't mean it is going to stop making those patches.

In fact, Microsoft will be creating security updates for Windows XP for months—years, even—after it halts their delivery to the general public."

I have heard this news from PC World. :)

23. marikavs, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

marikavs macrumors member

XP support?

OK. I'll "buy" that. Where (link/name-of-article) please? Or, where might I avail myself of said security updates when the time comes?

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the answer(s) to that.

24. MeUnix macrumors 6502

The only reason I say they should keep supporting XP is because of how many PC users still use XP. I do agree that 12 years is a long time to support an operating system, but with roughly 35% of Windows users on XP I don't think they should stop support unless that number drastically changes.

25. Judith123 macrumors member