How much lifespan should I expect from MBA 2013?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lifter7, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Lifter7 macrumors newbie

Never been into Macs before, but finally going with one. My laptops usually lasted me 2-3 years.

How much would a standard macbook air last? and what if I add 8GB Ram ( not money issue, but rather that I might not find it available where I live.)

Use will be office/programming on bootcamp.

Assignments/web surfing/studying/music/movies on OSX.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would expect a good 5 years for it to keep working. I have a 2005 iBook G4 that we still use for visitors. It's slow (compared to newer machines), but it runs and never crashes.

3. calvol, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

calvol macrumors 6502a

Probably 3-5 years depending on how you take care of it, and some luck. I've had my 2010 Air almost 3 years, and still going strong. Read up on the 2013 WiFi issue before deciding on this model though! There's a thread on Apple support forums on this issue with over 1/4 million views!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?start=15&tstart=0

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    it's more a case of how long you will be happy with it.
    the Air itself is good for 3-5 years plus, but if you're someone who likes to upgrade from time to time, then take out the extended warranty so you'll have peace of mind for 3 years.
    Should you decide to upgrade within the first 3 years the warranty is a real plus if you're selling on eBay or similar.

the 2013 Airs are well capable or running future releases of OS X over a 5 year time span, especially if you opt for 8gb memory.
    remember also in the short term, AppleStore online have a 14 day no-questions-asked returns policy, whereby you can swap out for a different model , etc.

5. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

With every computer, it's a matter of taking care of the computer, the quality of the computer, and a bit of luck. If it broke down before 3 years, I'd be unhappy. 5 years and I wouldn't complain (much).

7. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

At least 3 years, maybe 5+ if you're still not doing anything demanding by then.

Even a 2010 MacBook Pro will do me fine.

8. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

9. jg321 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend going for the 8GB option. 4GB doesn't seem like it'll be enough to last, it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and the memory on these things is soldered to the logic board, so there aint no upgrading it down the line.

10. Livewings macrumors regular

I expect at least 15 years longevity.

11. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

I'll be selling a 2012 13" MBA i5/1.8Ghz/8 Ram/128 SSD if you're interested.

12. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Both of my last Macbook's lasted me around about 3 years.

I'm hoping this will last a little longer, my MBA isn't a bog standard Macbook or 13" MBP.

Its actually quite powerful for once!

13. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I'm just selling my 2008 MacBook Air on eBay (after replacing it with a 2010 model and then 2013) and it's still going strong. Installed a SSD about 3 years ago and it was probably faster than than when new.

I think replacing every 3 years is sensible (in line with the Applecare) but even a 6 year old machine is still good for basic home/office stuff

14. sickofapple macrumors newbie

Hmmm, you are almost bang on actually.

Mine lasted 2 years 2 months before the Logic Board completely failed. Of course this has killed the who computer and it is not operable without a $600 replacement logic board.

So yeah, 2 years.

My advice, if you are buying this, build in the $250 extra for Apple care. Honestly it is a fantastic machine, light and just works and feels great, but thinking you are going to get 5 years out of it is a pipe dream. I take extremely good care of my laptop, it just died. Most people I know get about 2 years out of MBA as well.

----------

Also, I don't think you need the expensive upgrades. The performance was great without them, they are just over engineering the spec to charge more.

15. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You know that you could use office on Mac also... there's really no reason to have bootcamp unless your gaming or have incompatible programs that are windows only...

16. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I will work until the next version is released. At least that's true for people that stay on the bleeding edge.

17. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

My 2010 11" MBA still working strong. I have the 1.6 4GB, with an aftermarket 240GB SS drive.

I have a lot of high-end PCs over the years and the MBA has outlasted them all. I normally got about two years and then either a failure or an OS update killed it. Not with the MBA all the OSX updates have actually improved the speed and quality of my computing experience.

By now I'll bet the person who started this thread is enjoying their MBA.

18. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Man, I sure hope you're the exception. My 2011 MBA is exactly that old and I sold it to a very close friend (a "sweetheart deal"). :eek:

19. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

It would be performing great for another 3-4 years. It'll keep going for another 2-3 years if you are careful though I would not recommend you using it for heavy computing stuff by then.