How Much Lighter is iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chilean.Miner, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Chilean.Miner, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

I know it may be conjecture at this point but if this new one is significantly lighter I'll just straight upgrade and give my older ipad to my sis

So how much lighter is it?

edit: it's about 15% lighter.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

No one knows, given that it doesn't exist yet.

3. Chilean.Miner thread starter macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

it's been in the manufacturing process for a while.

So the back is carbon fiber, any guesstimates about how much lighter moving from metal to fibre would be?

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

My guess is 3 ounces. Anyone else wanna take a stab? :)

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Do you understand that nobody knows the specs of the new Pad? There is no carbon fiber back. A patent application means that someone was working on a project that led to a patentable concept, nothing more. There are many hundreds of ideas that get patented by Apple and never see the light of day. Apparently any time an Apple employee farts someone here thinks its significant.

If you want to know how much the iPad back weighs, a simple Google will do it for you, 138 grams, or just under 5 ounces.

6. WLS macrumors 65816

come on..I think it is going to be close to 1 pound. that seems reasonable to me.

7. WLS macrumors 65816

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3 tons. Better start bulking up with protein powder now.

9. Chilean.Miner thread starter macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

hmm interesting. The weight is the biggest issue for me; i'd upgrade just for the lightness.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

At least 3 pound less and maybe 4!:)

11. vrDrew, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

vrDrew macrumors 65816

It strikes me as extremely unlikely that any production model of the iPad is going to have carbon fibre componentry, at least for the forseeable future.

Given current technology it is impossible to mass produce carbon fibre components as cheaply as aluminum. The iPad's aluminum back can be stamped from commercially available coil aluminum in seconds, whereas CF components require lengthy processing in an autoclave. There simply isn't enough CF manufacturing capacity available to meet the aggressive (ie. Millions) production estimated for the iPad. Carbon fiber is also unsuitable as a material to receive screws or other threaded fasteners, and would require costly metal inserts.

The potential weight savings from using a CF would be measured in grams, not ounces. But it would several dollars to the cost of manufacture, which would result in the retail price increasing by $20-30 or so. It's not going to happen on a product aimed as the mass market.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPad is not heavy. I've seen plenty of girls hold it with one hand.

13. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

14. iNeko macrumors regular

Currently, it weighs nothing! ;) :D

But seriously, I have issues with the weight of the iPad after a few minutes and need to prop it up (my case weighs more than the iPad) so if the new one is lighter, it'll be a bonus. I'm really torn, because I'm happy with mine, but the new one will be new and shiny and new :(

15. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

it'd be nice to see it under a pound, if only by a half ounce. 2 more days baby.. 2 more days...

16. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I read that Apple was researching the use of Helium Pockets within the empty space inside the iPad to reduce weight. I think it is likely we will see the results of this work on the iPad version 2, which will have a weight of .2 lb or 0.09 kg.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The new White model will be a lot lighter then the old Black model ;)

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's also the version that will be powered by unicorn tears.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You have to admit, helium pockets are kind of a cute idea.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Ummm..... NO.

Unicorn tears do NOT power the new iPad.

Unicorn tears are used to enhance the touchscreen interface and completely eliminate fingerprint marks !

Everyone knows unicorn tears do that! Sheesh...... :p

22. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 was a myth that didn't exist it turns out, because it had a retina display; iPad 3 is being announced on Wednesday, and iPad 4 is announced Friday.

I hear iPad 4 is going to be 8 pounds, down from iPad 2's 10. That's why they're skipping it for the intermediate iPad 3. And lord knows how much it weighs but it has no retina display.

23. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I love how the OP completely disregarded the logical posts about how it's is impossible to know how much lighter, if any, the next iPad will be. and just went straight to commenting on the article that speculates/guesses on what it could be with zero evidence.

isn't the iPhone 4 heavier than the iPhone 3G?

who is to say adding a camera, a larger, more powerful speaker, possibly a larger ram chip etc won't actually make the next iPad heavier?