Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
I just purchased the iPhone 14 pro Max and love it so far except for the weight. Im just wondering how much lighter can they make the next one? I heard just the frame could be aluminium instead of stainless steel. So what maybe 10% lighter at most? I know its just speculation at this point, but Im just trying to get a rough idea.

Thanks in advance,
AK

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I like a phone with a nice weight to it in my hands. So far, the Plus and Max phones haven't seem to come in as close to the weight of my old 6+ though. I may be mistaken about that as I haven't looked up the actual weights. But the 6+ was pretty nice to me as far as weight goes.

My 11 Pro Max is actually top heavy. Seems to weigh more in the top half, which is unfortunate when holding it. If the 15 weighs a little bit more, that'd be good.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I heard just the frame could be aluminium instead of stainless steel.
Where did you hear this? I've never heard this rumor. The rumor I've heard said it was going to be titanium.

I would not expect the new version to be lighter by any significant amount. Don't expect to put it in your hand and think oh wow this is so much lighter. To my knowledge there is not a big consumer movement towards weight being an issue on phones.

If you want less weight, consider the regular iPhone. I've actually thought about trading in my 14 Pro Max for a regular iPhone 14. I used a family member's iPhone 13 and it felt significantly different in my hand.

Alxizzle

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2023
I think the 15 Pros, at least, will have to be significantly heavier (rumored titanium, bigger cameras, bigger battery)

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
Does anyone know how heavy the frame is? Also a smaller battery is possible with the new 3nm soc.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I like a phone with a nice weight to it in my hands. So far, the Plus and Max phones haven't seem to come in as close to the weight of my old 6+ though. I may be mistaken about that as I haven't looked up the actual weights. But the 6+ was pretty nice to me as far as weight goes.

My 11 Pro Max is actually top heavy. Seems to weigh more in the top half, which is unfortunate when holding it. If the 15 weighs a little bit more, that'd be good.
You got me curious, so I opened MacTracker... The iPhone 14 is exactly the same weight as the 6+, 172g, which feels like it can't be a coincidence. The Pro is 206g and the Pro Max is 240g.

The rumor I've heard said it was going to be titanium.

Yeah, that would make a lot more sense...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You got me curious, so I opened MacTracker... The iPhone 14 is exactly the same weight as the 6+, 172g, which feels like it can't be a coincidence. The Pro is 206g and the Pro Max is 240g.
Interesting…

Yeah, my current iPhone is the 11PM, so the 14PM might be a good weight for me.

Gartysparty

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
Where did you hear this? I've never heard this rumor. The rumor I've heard said it was going to be titanium.

I would not expect the new version to be lighter by any significant amount. Don't expect to put it in your hand and think oh wow this is so much lighter. To my knowledge there is not a big consumer movement towards weight being an issue on phones.

If you want less weight, consider the regular iPhone. I've actually thought about trading in my 14 Pro Max for a regular iPhone 14. I used a family member's iPhone 13 and it felt significantly different in my hand.
I think it could be a noticeable change. Just the much smaller apple watch series 7 has a 6 gram difference between the stainless steel model and the titanium. On a much bigger device with more material I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between phones was at least double that.

Reactions: russell_314

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I like the weight of my 13PM. It feels substantial, premium, and has the added benefit of I can always feel it in my pocket so smaller chance of it falling out (or getting stolen) and I don’t realize

So here’s to hoping the 15PM with titanium doesn’t drop the weight too much (i’m hoping for larger batteries if possible to offset the titanium weight loss)

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I hate the weight of the 14 PM, esp in summer... it needs to be light light the plus and perform :)

Reactions: ranphi

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If you’re lucky, it will be the same weight, if no, heavier…

Gone the days of light iPhones like the 5, 5s & SE1… :confused:

Reactions: ISKOTB

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Weight difference will be negligible
Better question is ….. will the difference in weight afford me better battery life rtc

Reactions: Jackbequickly

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I’m still hoping they can get rid of the glass back while maintaining MagSafe wireless charging.

iPhone 7 to 8 was a 10 gram increase and 7 Plus to 8 Plus 14 grams. That may not seem like much but combined with going to aluminum or titanium the difference would very noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.