How much longer before we stop waiting for Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FubsyGamr, Nov 18, 2010.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys!

Well, I just got my email from Verizon, letting me know that I'm eligible for an upgrade. Up until now I've been using my cruddy Verizon Phone, and I've been using my iPod 4 and iPad religiously. I understand we won't be getting the iPhone on Verizon until sometime after the Holiday season, but I'm wondering...what's the general consensus for about how long we'll have to wait? How long would you wait for an announcement before just giving up? Basically, I'd probably drop $150 for a Droid 2, but I don't want to get invested into many apps and stuff, cause my heart belongs with Apple.

I would just stick with the phone I have, but it is dying and ready for the upgrade. I can squeeze another month or two out of it, but I don't want to be waiting around till next summer.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it to wait, and if so, until how long? Or should I just pick up my new phone, then save up and buy the iPhone at full retail (or off of ebay) when it finally comes onto Verizon?

p.s. I can't use AT&T because it doesn't work in my neighborhood, I originally had the iPhone 3 but I had 0 signal in my neighborhood, no good. Gotta stick with Verizon.

2. aohus macrumors 68000

you already have 2 iOS devices, ever want to think about diversifying your OS portfolio?

iOS + Android mix is always a good thing.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Think of like this.
    There is no iPhone on Verizon, and there won't be, so upgrade to whatever you like. If it comes, then it comes, and its up to you to decide from there.

There have been too many of these threads.

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I would do this. You would have the best of both worlds.

5. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i stopped waiting 2 months after the first iphone came out.

6. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Just sign a one year contract and get a Droid 2, then get an iPhone next year if it comes out for Verizon.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How many more threads do people like you have to start? It will happen when it happens. Not before, not after, but when. Is that good enough for you?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Diversifying your OS portfolio? Oy. :rolleyes:

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Upgrade.

If the iPhone does come out on Verizon - Sell your Droid 2 and use that money to buy the iPhone.

10. firewood macrumors 604

If you already have an iPod Touch 4th gen, do you really want to blow that much cash just to get a new phone with similar capabilities maybe 4 months or so earlier?

11. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

We aren't waiting on Verizon. I got MY iPhone 4, I'm happy with At&t for the most part, most of my friends and all my family have iPhones are on At&t too. IDK how long you want to wait that's up to you. Rumor has it the iPhone going to be on Verizon in January

12. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Let me ask you this, how much longer do WE have to see posts about Verizon iPhones? Maybe it happens, tommorow, next week, next year, or never. No one knows and that's been the status quo for the last (insert amount here) of years. Sooooo please never ask that question again.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Who knows when Verizon will get the iPhone or even if they will get it. Since you can't move to at&t due to reception issues, get whatever you like on Verizon and enjoy it.

And when or if Verizon does come out with an iPhone, you can post back here asking whether or not you should switch to it.;)

14. Sticman macrumors member

I'd wait

The CEO of Verizon is speaking at CES in Vegas the first part of January. There's been a lot of speculation that he'll announce at that time a CDMA version of the iphone 4 that is compatible with Verizon.
    Recent articles by Fortune Magazine, the New York Times & the Wall Street Journal have all said that the Verizon iphone is coming soon.
    So, if you'd prefer an iphone on Verizon to an Android device, this would be the worst time to get an Android phone, less than two months from what should be the announcement date.
    My opinion.

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not in 2011 because of a contract.

16. Battlestar macrumors 6502

I don't expect to see Verizon offering the iPhone until Apple releases the iPhone 5.

17. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Too Many?

The production run of the Verizon CDMA phones should be on or about Dec 1st provided they can be shipped with iOS 4.2. I'd look for an announcement after Jan 1st. Availability date still up in the air as too late Jan 2011 or 1st 2 weeks of Feb 2011.

To be honest, I'd just keep your current plan and phone till June 2011. iPhone 5 will be all things to all carriers. :cool:

18. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

;)

19. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

I just wanted to toss in one more question: let's say I go with the Android phone now (just as an example). If iPhone 5 comes out next June, ready for Verizon, would I be able to pay retail price to get it, then swap my Droid out for the iPhone? I realize I wouldn't get any sort of discount, but is it possible?

20. Sticman macrumors member

Yes, Verizon can do this for you on the phone or in one of their stores. You might even be able to do it online.
    Its not as easy as swapping a SIM card but yes absolutely.

21. Sticman macrumors member

You can switch phones on Verizon's website.

22. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No kidding... and i agree. iPod 4 , iPad ....why would you want an iPhone with the same thing as the other two? With so many rumors the past two years about Verizon and iPhone, ...its just me, but i wouldnt expect it real soon and there is no more evidence of it happening than there has been before imo.

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

How much longer before we get to stop seeing titles about a Verizon iPhone? We have 20 a day... do we need anymore? :rolleyes:

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I agree 100%.

My iPhone 4 is quite nice, and yet so is my Droid X on Verison. I have lots of friends with the X and we all enjoy them a lot.

If you like choices & the ability to truly customize the phone to your liking, Android offers more than Apple. Your heart might change it's mind. Hope that's not too far out of your comfort zone. Change can be exciting & fun. I'm really satisfied... :)

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Disagree 100%. Why would I repurchase apps on another platform to do the exact same things I have apps to do on my existing platform? Seems like a wasteful decision to me.

There would have to be something EXTREMELY compelling to make me buy another platform and repurchase all my apps.