How much Maps has improved since iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by digitalove, Oct 17, 2013.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In my town, not at all. None of the things that I've reported have been fixed since iOS 6 launched.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

Maps served the intended purpose. Nobody on the firing line now so it just rides.

4. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

In my country, no one uses much apples or googles maps app... For turn by turn navigation software we have specific and accurate apps, for directions or places, well we have the same app for that. Almost no one uses apple or google maps, and then there is the part that it needs an active Internet connection ....

5. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

It's not perfect, but it's no longer a complete joke like it was a year ago.

6. skylarbrenden macrumors member

I haven't really noticed any improvements. But then again, even when it first launched, I never had any problems. Not one.

I'm in Hampton, VA (near Virginia Beach, VA) and it works and has always worked great all around eastern VA.

7. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

In my town, it's improved. In the beginning, it would not find points of interest (for instance Sushi) even though what I typed is like a 10 minute walking distance. I used to have to fully input the address manually instead. After the first month or two, it finally picked up points of interest. Not every points of interest works, but it's so much better. For the most part, Apple Maps on IOS 7 has really improved, even though more improvements can be made. I love that there is voice navigation for walking. I still wish that there was public transit on there, but that's when I go to Google Maps.

8. FFF84, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

FFF84 macrumors newbie

I haven't used the maps since google maps was lunched.
    I recheck it and ------ not at all (Hanover, Germany).
    they didn't even fix what i reported since one year.
    2 building cross the street still restaurants. note: there are not.
    some bus stops still not on the map.
    and the map still gives 12 results when you search for the main railway in the city.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Map's data is updated dynamically and continuously and is unrelated to the iOS version (Maps is also on Mavericks).

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Except there doesn't seem to be a lot of updates (at least not near me). And when you report a map data issue you never get any response. I've posted almost 10 issues in my area almost a year ago and none have been updated. At least with Google maps they create a ticket and you get a response when the issue has been resolved.

11. bandrews macrumors 6502a

TomTom kept crashing on my 5s so used Apple Maps to get me back from deepest, darkest Wales, back over the border to safety in England. Worked flawlessly.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Agree, I just meant that going from iOS6 to iOS7 means no difference in Map data except for what may have been changed that day in the on-line database.

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The problem is Apple doesn't own the map data so they can't continually post new data to the maps servers. My guess is a few times a year they put all their data together from their different providers and push it to the maps servers.

14. Vandefilm macrumors regular

First of all, why publish a maps app that has pretty bad data without the option for people to be able to update it? That would be the victory over google maps. Just put every POI that 3 people or more put in there and you have better data within a month then google.

Second, if they were putting their data together a few times a year, why hasn't many things been improved over a whole year?

15. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't own the data so they can't do that. Plus, there has to be some verification of changes. You can't completely rely on users. But right now the biggest issues for Apple is they just don't have a good system setup to handle map reports from users or the ability to make changes quickly (partly because they have to rely on TomTom, etc).

16. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

17. groovyf macrumors 6502

No change at all. At my previous address, the sat map was over 10 years old... oddly, at my new address, it's also over 12 years old for the sat map.
    I've logged it with them numerous times. Where the hell are they getting their sat maps from?!

18. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Never had an issue with Apple Maps. Then again, I don't live in a 2nd/3rd world country or in the boonies.

19. sl4vik macrumors newbie

So Seattle is considered 3rd world now?

I live there, and Apple maps has screwed up plenty of times, once it made me go around in circles. That was a fun day..

20. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I live in one of the UK's major cities and apple maps still shows a school near my house that closed 30 years ago. I reported it over a year ago. It also shows district names that I've never heard or seen anyone use.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you asking more about the app itself which was redesigned and updated/changed somewhat in iOS 7, or the actual service/data, which is more or less often updated on the server side unrelated to iOS releases or anything else for the most part.

22. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

A road that I reported a problem about (wrong name) since iOS 6 GM is still incorrect.

That says it all.

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Here Maps is not perfect, but Google Maps isn't either, so they are basically the same for me.
    I rely on Navigon for that.

25. Vandefilm macrumors regular

I know what the current state is. But Apple should've never released software other than when it would be able to fully rely on users. I don't see why that can't be possible. Sure, in the beginning there will be a few 14 year old kids who join together with 3 other kids to put in some dumb data. That will be fixed in no time by other users. And there are other ways to think of to counter that.
    If they don't have a good system and they have to rely on old tom-tom (in my town it's the old tom-tom data), why on earth release it?

For the record, I like the interface very much so I use it all the time for navigation in my car. But not after checking with google maps if its the correct route.