Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I'll go first.

Zip. Zero. None.

The only reason I bought my iBook is because it was the best deal I could find on something that suited my needs, if there was a PC notebook for a better deal I would not have hesitated to pick it up. I personally don't believe in the concept of Apple as a premium brand, they make tools, good tools but still tools and if I can do the same job and get the same results with a different tool then I will do so.

I don't make a lot on money and even less now since I may or may not have a job so I'm looking at things which will give me the best value for the dollar, the iBook that I bought fits that, the iPod mini on the other hand....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Maybe a little, but not much. Personally I am fine with Windows, XP is stable if looked after (up to date antivirus etc, it's not rocket science). Saying that I still badly want a dual G5 :D

smilie_drool.gif

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm with you, vniow, but in a different way. In my opinion, Apple's products only cost more because they have more and better stuff built-in. This theory can somewhat be verified by attempting to configure a Windows PC similarly to one of Apple's machines. The prices are much closer now, aren't they? This means that Apple is not charging very much of a premium, if any at all, but rather going for increased value for money. Therefore, I'm willing to pay however much Apple decides to charge.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I won't pay anything just for the apple logo, but as was suggested earlier, I have absolutely no problem paying a premium price for quality merchandise. It's the same reason I don't mind paying top dollar for an All-Clad pot, I know I'll most likely pass it on to my kid, and that represents a good value to me. Now the iPod mini.... I don't think I'd buy that simply because it doesn't represent a good value to me, but neither does a 20" iMac for what they are charging.

By and large, you get what you pay for. I almost never take up the low bidder on a building project, they are either leaving something out, or don't command a decent price because they suck. I don't mind paying a little more for someone who is there on time, is sober, and is a good craftsperson.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I initially bought my Powerbook because of 2 reasons

a) at the time it was comparable in spec to the fastest Alienware but like $1000 cheaper

b) Macintoshes are the industry standard for print making and designing, where my current major will take me

Though from now on I'll pretty much buy anything Apple from now on just based on my current experiences, that is if I need it.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
I just got an iBook (first mac) and I dont feel like I payd a premium for it.
1)its a quality product....far better than 95% of PC laptops
2)OS X is a work of art!!!
3) iLife, iCal, Sherlock, all of this great built-in software! Seriously, when jobs gives those lists of what you would have to pay to get the equivelants on windows, he isnt kidding!

I have been a PC user for years, and I will never go back (barring hell freezing over......again......:D )

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I don't think there is any premium. Every Mac comes with fantastic software (iLife) which if you were to purchase same for a dell you buy for family (and lets be honest you would prob have to.... ) would cost you a fortune.
Then there is build quality. Sure Apple's high end machines may be more expensive than dells, but you get what you pay for. The build quality is worlds apart.
Windows XP, is not in the same league as OS X ... IMO. XP simply doesn't hold a torch to a good unix/linux based distribution like Gentoo, FreeBSD , OS X. Sure you can also get Gentoo and FreeBSD for x86 but, try getting Joe Bloggs off the street to install and set up linux properly.
Another thing apple offers is something that maybe only SGI, Sun and maybe IBM with their AIX can offer : Their OS and Hardware are tuned together and built around each other. Makes for speed, reliability and harmonious running.
There are numerous other arguments.... for and against... but I think most people agree owning a Mac more than pays for itself over time. Especially since Mac's tend to last longer (i.e. they see speed improvements from OS to OS.... windows runs slower on same hardware from generation to generation).

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well it should be interesting to see what the numbers are in the coming months->year in regards to iPod Mini's being sold. I for one will always buy as best as I can afford on the Macintosh platform even if a PC counterpart is always cheaper.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I think working with Mac is still much more fun. It looks better, "feels" better, works easier....
I don't call it a premium. I pay more to get more.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I'll gladly pay a modest premium for Apple, as long as Apple means:

1) Superior quality and design
2) An easier, more hassle-free user experience
3) I can run OS X on it. :D

Seriously: A lot of the complaints about the "premium" pricing of Apple products are overlooking that there are premium brands on the Wintel side too, and their stuff can cost as much or more than a Mac, easy. But their products sell, because those brands have a reputation for quality and excellence. IBM and Sony come to mind.

I'm not going to pay extra just 'cause it's Apple...but I will pay for what Apple delivers.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
There is no premium on Apple products.

Calling a $1099 eMac a premium over a $599 Dell-box is not correct, you get what you pay for.

:D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple is quality and i dont mind paying a little more if iam paying for quality,power and innovation. I wont pay for more of G4 stagnation. It doesnt matter what apple wraps it up in. look at emac vs powerbooks or imac. i really am amazed that they have been able to keep selling a non advancing chip for so long. hats off to the software division and the ones wrapping this old stale chip in fancy new clothes. ill pay a premium for a premium product. G4 was premium 3 years ago. not today thankyou. still waiting for that G5.

niter

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2003
It depends on the item. I do not think I paid a premium for my iBook because it was several hundred less than my previous Gateway (mistake) and works far better. I have never been much for the name brand sort of deal...Prior to getting my iBook the only computer I consider having (other than a laptop) is one I built. Good parts, cheap price...all good to me.

Right now I really REALLY want an iPod, but they are out of my budget and I am going to make myself hold off. If the HP iPod whatever comes out cheaper, but exactly the same, I would get it. Well, that depends...if the price difference is $100, the cheaper wins. If the price difference is nil or $10, then I would get the Apple one to match my iBook.

I love Apple and I love supporting the company. I am going to buy Apple Ram? No. I am going to by the Bluetooth mouse because it looks so freaking cool despite I prefer a two buttoned mouse? No.

But I will say, Apple is what you pay for. That is why I convinced FH's Grandmother to get an eMac over a Dell. I believe the few extra hundred put in would be worth it in the long run.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by mactastic
Did you miss the WWDC last July?:eek:

Or do you mean waiting for that G5 in the iMac/Powerbook/eMac?
well i would love a imac G5 with a better then fx5200 :rolleyes: If they dont announce one in the next month or so i may get a duallies G5 tower but then i have to cut up my desk so it fits and i really dont want to do that. dont mind paying a premium for G5.:D

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I will pay more for a mac because of OS X. It's not just that I think it's better than XP, but I also know it very well, whereas I would have a lot of learning to do on XP. OS X and my familiarity with it are, for me, the biggest reasons to stay with macs, as long as the price is not absurd.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Been using Macs since 1988 or so and I've never paid a premium. Well, always got great deals when I was a reseller but to me, Apple products were worth the price I paid and therefore did not represent a premium to me. Haven't been a reseller since 1995 but I still choose Macs.

Funny aside, we ordered a Mac at work for web site testing and I thoroughly enjoyed watching our small IT staff with no clue. (well, no clue about many other PC issues also) Told them to set it up in my office and I'd have it humming with all needed within an hour.

Later in the day, I had my monthly divisional meeting with the President and she asked about it. Told her she's wasting tons of money on Dell crap and too many support people. Pitched that the department I run (due for upgrades) go Mac. I could answer all except Exchange compatibility. Maybe there's hope for 17" iMacs to grace my staff's desks and a 20" for me.

:D

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
A year ago I thought I paid a premium for my first ever Mac, a Powerbook, but then I found out what I got for my money, and it seems very reasonable to me now.

My housemate works with Macs, he worked with my Powerbook quite a bit designing a web site and he kept saying he was in the market for a laptop, and for his type of work he definitely wanted a Mac. His father agreed to help him out with a new computer, but took him to a friend's business and Apple computers werent an option.

The no name PC laptop he got was well cheaper than my PB, but I can now see what I paid for. From a distance the PC looks like a Powerbook Ti. Close up it looks like, dare I say, a cheap, thick, tin laptop. He is finding out little niggles with it - like 1.5 hours battery life, a key is already hanging off, it came with no software worth diddly, has XP family edition and strangely enough he doesnt have a very stylish power pack, no cables for connecting to anything, the speakers are complete ****e. It has audio in which is handy.

He seems to know his way around XP to the extent he knows how to share files with my PB, but I swear it is painful to watch him bringing up files buried deep down, and doing simple things like getting to google from IE, installing anti pop up stuff that works most of the time, updating Adaware, killing messages from Windows, downloading software, and so it goes on. I expect there are things he could to improve the desktop, better software etc, but for someone with my level of non existent computer nouse, it looks like it would be a real deal to get set up nicely on XP. It has a nice resolution screen but to me the desktop is just not friendly.

Knowing what I know now about Macs, it would have to be some sort of wonder machine not running Windows to get me to buy a PC. And if I bought my mates PC now I would just feel it was a waste of my money however cheap i got it for. I want to pay for something that just works and if that takes paying a premium up front, so be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.