Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Can some one answer this I have a 6 month old windows laptop with 4 gig of ram my iPad seems way faster with only the 256 mb of ram only resin I ever use my laptop is to sync every once in awhile that's the only time I ever turn it on after buying this iPad my first apple product I'll never buy I windows product again I luv this iPad

Different architectures, different OS's, etc. You can't even compare. Further the iPad has "limited" multi-tasking even with 4.2.1.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I think a one-word answer could have shut-down this discussion before it even got off the ground: Adequate. The iPad has adequate RAM for the tasks it does. End of story.

History lesson: For decades the Bentley supercar company staunchly refused to publish their engines' HP or Torque specs, instead only saying power was "adequate" to achieve their performance goals. Bentley saw their vehicles as being "above" banal numbers and figured the buyers of their $200,000+ luxury cars were buying a complete transportation package and wouldn't really care about the numbers anyway. Plus, the company didn't want to be seen as engaging in a belittling "horsepower war". Their strategy was very successful and car enthusiast magazine editors wrote ad infinitum about their efforts to determine the actual HP & Torque figures from test cars. And in the end, not one of them ever stated that the engines were anything other than "adequate". :apple:

AppleFTW1

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Apple, oddly enough, does not list the amount of RAM anywhere on their specs page for the iPad.

Doesn't this seem strange to anyone else?? I haven't seen many people raise this question (a very important question to the overall performance capabilities of this device).

Does anyone know a rumor or official statement from Apple of how much RAM the iPad will have?

I would think that this would be an enormous deciding factor before placing a pre-order and I can't find it listed anywhere.

Who would pre-order a computer without knowing how much RAM it has? Many, I guess. Odd, but true!

The iPad only has 256MB of ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.